• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

do you have the same Problems, Piledriver .457 ?

Hi everyone, new to site.

Not sure if this the right section here, but anyway here goes.

2 months ago I took delv of my new Hatsan .457 Piledriver, crazy power. very happy. what with mount ,scope , bits and the set up, testing, I had only fired umm about 25 to 40 slugs through it, NO problems. And so, I managed to grab what I was looking for, set myself for zeroing in the beast. shot 1 normal a little off at 28 yards ,4 inch from bull, so ajustment time. next shot, it was muted, very low power, more like 30f/p rife not a 740ft/p the 220 gr slug got stuck in the old 0.5 inch in the old wooden door, prior it would go through like is just not even there/like paper. Next shot, even worse, next shot, even worse. Checked the pressure, and it appeared to only show a very small drop. Re- topped it up to about 4000psi. loaded up and pulled the trigger AND, BANG! That famous valve dump thing, kicked me right in the face. OK, check the pressure and as I thought that big fat zero. Yep it’s the valve dump thing. I recall, watching some guy on Youtube same gun, having the same problem, it had been back at the shop twice he says. Anyway, I was told from him, for some reason about 5 % of these seem to do this, and its something to do with the return spring or something. Anyway, its put a bad dent in my thoughts and confidence in this rifle. So now it looks like I have to pack it up and return it to the shop, and hope they can sort it out, And I had completed my nice custom paint job to the body too. Not a happy bunny at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
wow, thats bad.....valve dump with 4500psi is not very fun at all !
it happened to me once with a AF texan at 3000psi.

i have the piledriver in .457 and its been a very good shooter.
where did you buy it at, and can you get warranty on it ?

i bought mine from PA with 1 year warranty.
good luck with it !!
I live next door, as in Bulgaria, to Turkey the home of Hatsan. I should get some warrenty from the shop as it was new only 2 months old. but I bet its going to at least cost about 20 $ each way for shipping.

Last edited:
Update
Posted it off to shop, ( have read about another make, which was doing the same, it seems the going idea is ' the return spring sometimes is not up to the task " too weak", one guy swapped it out for a stronger spring, no problems) told the shop this, so it will be an up grade of the spring or new rifle) but to be fair they seem very reasonable about it, NO arguments, thats a good thing. They even paid for the postage.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better. I've had my problems with my 50Texan. Eats the pins that hold the sear. The barrel was horrible rough but I finally had lapped the barrel starting at 120 grit and worked up from there with lead laps. Its been way harder for me to keep my Texan together than I anticipated.. Don't think any of the big bore pcp are trouble free. They have there pros and cons.

Reactions: normski
If it makes you feel any better. I've had my problems with my 50Texan. Eats the pins that hold the sear. The barrel was horrible rough but I finally had lapped the barrel starting at 120 grit and worked up from there with lead laps. Its been way harder for me to keep my Texan together than I anticipated.. Don't think any of the big bore pcp are trouble free. They have there pros and cons.
To be honest, call me Mr pessimist, as you say, everything has its issues. To add to that the world is falling apart, that inc quality work, materials, and quality control; along with just about everything else. So I “HAH” was dreaming, Coming from the powder burner side of the fence, as these air guns often have less overall moving parts than power burners, I hoped, less trouble, and, how wrong was I. But Never expected it to go sideways inside of half a day of reasonable use. Like the big boy Texans The Hatsan’s all have crazy impressive power . I still own my old Civil war .44 cal Remington’s, and the 45/70 Sharps. More simple than simple. To me they are still overall inc everything unbeatable. The 18th century got it right. Not to say they are perfect, they have their problems to, I have, and had all types ( guns that is) hahha. but I still say, these old timers, come the Apocalypse will keep going way past the AK47s and the Ar15’s and Semi Auto pistols, and now it seems the Texan’s and Hatsan’s To!! Sad..

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
The pros to big bore airguns in today's world are for me.... 1 can cast accurate lead powder coated slugs for about $1.20 pound. 2. Not under government restrictions. Can be quite so it is more friendly to use. 3 cheap to shoot using high pressure air. That being said you either have to be mechanical inclined and can use and fix Yong Heng compressors. Or $3500 for a good compressor or booster. 3..... No primers No primers....In our lifetime reloading is taken away from us. Primers have not and will not be available in the future. Big bores are way cheap to shoot of you cast and have air supply. If you can tinker with a carberator a airgun with be fine for you.. If I couldn't work on my Texan I'd be at a huge disadvantage.. Lastly the barrels will never wear out!!!!! Soft lead cold 4500 psi air is way easy on barrel throats!!!!!😀😀😀

Reactions: Llama