DO YOU GUYS WORRY ABOUT MOISTURE IN PCP AIR CHARGING?

I have a question, I am just about ready to order a Air Arms pcp.
My question is about moisture when filling.
It seems like everything except air tanks filled at a scuba shop can hold moisture.
Is moisture a major concern to use a hand pump or cheap compressor to fill your pcp"s.
If I spend $1600 on a PCP, I do not want to screw it up.
Does moisture kill the inside of a chamber or am I thinking to much into this?
Please share your wisdom.

Moisture in PCPs is very much an important issue, and it is something that we need to take active steps to address. How we fill leads to the need for different solutions to manage the water vapor in the air we compress.

How do you plan to fill the Air Arms? That will help people provide info to you.

Here is a post that has a lot of information on this topic for you - do be aware that there is some incorrect info in it, but I tried to get as much of it corrected as I could in post #27 and after that. Feel free to keep asking questions!

It can be.
I bought a used Marauder from a gentleman around Dallas who only filled it with a hand pump. I bought the hand pump too and continued filling it this way for a while. The pump did have the little desiccant on the inlet.
It finally developed a small leak, so I took it apart to reseal it. There were a few drops of water in the air cylinder, as well as some spots of surface rust in the air tube. I was able to clean it up pretty good, but it made me realize hand pumping with the desiccant wasn’t good enough to avoid internal rust.

I resealed the rifle and it’s fine now. But I know there are small putts So no real complaints, just a proof that it can be real.

Reactions: beerthief
While I understand this answer, I think it needs comment . . .

If you take the right steps to prevent moisture from getting into your guns or tanks, you don't need to worry about moisture. I know AirArcher66 pumps with the right technique, so there is no need to worry . . . that is not the same thing as believing that moisture in air impacting PCPs is a myth, which it is not . . . it happens from bad practices.

Reactions: rcarlisle
I’ve opened a gun or two that I bought used that exhibited corrosion from moisture. So yes it is a concern. Here’s an example of a regulator I pulled from a gun. This isn’t how an older/used regulator is supposed to look.
F9D876D3-A6B3-4D83-979E-A9D21BE49347.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanMcD
With whatever gun cylinder fill type that you decide on, it would be wise to invest in an air/water separator and an air filtering system. Buying both types of filtering devices are fairly inexpensive ($100.00 each) and are easily set up side by side and keep the internals nice and clean.

Alternatively, getting a big scba air tank and having it filled at a scuba shop will work, depending on how much you shoot. If you find yourself shooting a lot, using heavy slugs or big bore guns, then traveling to the shop and paying them for the fill gets "expensive" after while. So a compressor and filters will pay for themselves in that regard.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
We all need to do something to help our PCPs avoid damage from moisture. Alan's linked piece explains using real data that high pressure air looses it's ability to hold the moisture that is in the air at it's normal 1 bar pressure. If the high pressure air is hot enough, however, it can still hold a significant amount of moisture. But it won't stay that hot and when it cools the moisture will come out. So if you use a compressor, the air it puts out is likely to have moisture you do not want in your gun. With a hand pump, if you pump in short sessions and bleed often, maybe not. Even then I would want at least a small absorbent filter. It seems best to use a little more than you think you really need. If you use a compressor to fill your gun directly, you definitely want a decent filter. At least for the lower priced pumps like the YH I use, that means adding some sort of filter. I like to use one with color change dessicant in it so I can see when it gets wet. If you use your pump to fill your SCBA tank, like I do, the moisture would not go directly to your gun, it would go into your tank. It could damage the aluminum liner causing the tank to be damaged. It might also come out with the air and go into your gun. Filling a SCBA tank requires a longer compressor run which is likely to be higher in temperature meaning more water to condense out so we have to deal with it.

Regardless of your fill method and your steps to address moisture you want to monitor how it is doing. I pull the absorbent filter from the filter housing the YH came with every tank fill and replace it. I squeeze it to see how much moisture comes out. Not very scientific but how much comes out does seem to vary - probably mostly with ambient humidity levels. I don't check the color changing beads every run but did at first. I know they take multiple tank refills to change color and require replacing. Especially if you have another reason to go into the gun it is also a good idea to look to see if there are any signs of moisture. (I have giving me more confidence my steps are working)

If you take reasonable steps to address the moisture that will be created by raising the air pressure and then monitor to be sure it is working there is no reason to fear moisture. I personally would not favor getting a tank and having it commercially filled. As long as the outfit filling your tank has good equipment and keeps it maintained you will be good but it will be more difficult to monitor to be sure they are doing that. I don't trust anybody including myself. But if you pick a good place to have your tank filled it could work great.

Reactions: Nattboy
Fill slowly, don't let the guns cylinder get too warm, and defiantly not "hot" during the fill.

Sudden pressure helps pull moisture out of the air. Then the cooling keeps it from reatomizing back into the air and remains...water.
You can read about pressurizing air, having it get hot, and the outcome, most anywhere (Google) in the internet.

Mike

When I 1st started this airgun adventure I used to stress about this, as years went by and I was able to collect data I realized I didn't need to stress.

Been Handpumping for over a decade and a half in a tropical island and I've never seen anything that was arming my vessels,.....I truly believe is more the gun manufacturers and the materials they use then anything else that creates the problems.

When I 1st started this airgun adventure I used to stress about this, as years went by and I was able to collect data I realized I didn't need to stress.

Been Handpumping for over a decade and a half in a tropical island and I've never seen anything that was arming my vessels,.....I truly believe is more the gun manufacturers and the materials they use then anything else that creates the problems.
I agree. I handpumped for many years on my first dip into PCP’s, with no filter of any kind. I have replaced o rings and applied a thin coat of silicone grease coating the interior surfaces of the reservoir and gauge block in an old gen 1 marauder that I preordered when the .25 first came out, it still looks like brand new inside. Many many thousands of pellets have ran through that old marauder and absolutely ZERO issues.

Reactions: RM100GUY
Reactions: GTSdvr and bf1956
I have a question, I am just about ready to order a Air Arms pcp.
My question is about moisture when filling.
It seems like everything except air tanks filled at a scuba shop can hold moisture.
Is moisture a major concern to use a hand pump or cheap compressor to fill your pcp"s.
If I spend $1600 on a PCP, I do not want to screw it up.
Does moisture kill the inside of a chamber or am I thinking to much into this?
Please share your wisdom.
In the beginning.
I found this HAM article on corrosion and what moisture does to PCP internals. It seems relevant to this thread.

Steel and aluminum plus moisture = disaster!