• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DO YOU GUYS WORRY ABOUT MOISTURE IN PCP AIR CHARGING?

The people in this post who responded by saying NO are basing their answers on LUCK, NOT SCIENCE! I'm glad they've not had problems. The reason EVERY BREATHING AIR DISTRIBUTOR IN THE COUNTRY is required by law to have moisture & oil filtering on their compressors is because compressing air creates adiabatic heating which, in turn, condenses moisture in the vessel (tank, gun, etc.). If you want to gamble, don't use a filter. If you want to do it correctly & safely, use filters. Maybe hand pumping fills more slowly & creates less heat & condensation than a compressor. Either way, they're just LUCKY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonmc
I was so stressed about misture when I first started into PCP , my 1st pumps where an FX and a Hatsan, more so in the FX I could see so much water at the bottm of the shaft and feel so much water when bleeding the pump i just thought my guns must be crazy rusted, it's was hard in the beginning so much worrying.

Then once I started opening up my guns and never finding any trace of water or rust I was stoked, kept checking guns for over a decade, lots of guns and I've seen any kind of damage on the inside of the tubes,
I'm way more worried about the outside of the guns and spend way more time taking care of it then I do for the inside

Reactions: RM100GUY
I handpumped a AAS500 for a few years down here in Alabama humidity.

I took it apart after 5 years of that to put in a regulator, and it had zero signs of moisture anywhere inside.

My opinion formed from actually taking guns apart instead of reading about on the internet: It's overblown.

I have never once filled a PCP with anything other than a handpump or tank filled with a junky old Shoebox fed by a 25 year old oil-lubed air compressor. And I haven't blown up or had moisture issues in anything.

Shoot more and worry less.

To the OP. Any and I mean any exposure of a material to an enviroment has some form of corrosion that will take place. For a long life in our guns it is best to mitigate that the best we can. Personally, I believe pumping sucks and the little moisture filter some pumps come with is nothing more than a gimmick. Breathable air is far better and will prolong the life of your gun.

Ask yourself this: If the gun is expensive, why would you waste your money on some junk to supply it? Perhaps, a cheaper gun would be a better starting point If finances are the issue.

Again just my opinion and no disrespect to others who have different beliefs. I live by the buy once, cry once mentallity, as well as Y.O.L.O., when finances allow. Just ask the wife lol.

Good luck with your endeavor.

I handpumped a AAS500 for a few years down here in Alabama humidity.

I took it apart after 5 years of that to put in a regulator, and it had zero signs of moisture anywhere inside.

My opinion formed from actually taking guns apart instead of reading about on the internet: It's overblown.

I have never once filled a PCP with anything other than a handpump or tank filled with a junky old Shoebox fed by a 25 year old oil-lubed air compressor. And I haven't blown up or had moisture issues in anything.

Shoot more and worry less.
Using my Hill handpump for years, parts associated to the workings of the tophat on my Airforce Condor corroded so bad I had to replace them and that is in drier Sacramento, Ca air. Point being, it is possible as I have experienced it. There isn't one blanket answer and everyone is free to make their own decisions and take their own risks. The only fact is, breathable air is without a doubt better than simply pumping pressurised air into it. Same as if Nitrogen, an inert gas was used instead of breathable air.

Another consideration is maybe a local fire department, forum member, or shop would help with SCBA tank fills from time to time.