• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you enjoy vintage airguns? Sharing some research...

I still have two airguns from my youth back in the early 1980s... a Daisy 880 pump rifle and Crosman 357 pellet revolver. I've had to rebuild both in recent years but they're still chugging along. I've had the 880 since I was about 12yo and the 357 from when I was around 13.

No picture of the Daisy right now, but here's the Crosman wearing its optional 8" barrel and some wood grips I fashioned for it in later years as a teenager. I also still have the original 6" barrel as well.

1671081143777.jpeg

I have an old Crosman 160 that needs a rebuild, anyone know where I can find some instructions? I would like to know something before tearing into it.
There are a number of good videos on pulling down and resealing the QB-78 rifle on youtube. It's pretty much identical to the Crosman 160, so you'll find all that you need to know there.

J~

Reactions: MDriskill
Loving the pics! But the OP was actually asking about reference material, and some of the best is in books (sorry whippersnappers...the whole world isn't on the net quite yet...! 😳).

Here are some of my favorites - the newest is Mr. Griffiths's massive "Spring Air Pistols" 2nd edition, which truly must be seen to be believed:

CE34A23B-A8DD-4781-8387-B9F367016AB8.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
Loving the pics! But the OP was actually asking about reference material, and some of the best is in books (sorry whippersnappers...the whole world isn't on the net quite yet...! 😳).

Here are some of my favorites - the newest is Mr. Griffiths's massive "Spring Air Pistols" 2nd edition, which truly must be seen to be believed:

View attachment 313811
Are those mostly history and specs type books or do they go through mechanics, tuning, different types of cocking and loading mechanisms, etc? I’d love to have a book that did.

I may not completely understand your question (tuning in particular is rather a separate subject from collecting). These books focus on descriptions, discussions, photos, history, old factory drawings, catalog info, etc. To be clear, most of these are specialized, limited-run books which are out of print, and will take some hunting around to find.

If I could pick one to start with, it's John Walter's The Airgun Book. There were four editions, all done in the 1980's golden age of springers. They focus on guns that were new then, but also have much info on older models. The blue-cover 1st edition and red-cover 3rd edition are my favorites (green-cover 2nd is basically a reprint of the 1st; the brown-cover 4th deleted much older springer info but covers some early PCP's). They are not too hard to find or too expensive.

Another favorite is "Gas, Air, and Spring Guns of the World," published way back in 1957. A real classic that also is usually easy to find. My photo is a hardback edition, but it was reprinted as a paperback a couple of times.

If you have specific interests or questions, I'm happy to answer questions...and I have enough other references to bore any normal person catatonic... 🙄

Last edited:
This came up on another forum and thought I'd share it here. May or may not cover guns you have but if it helps even one shooter, it's well worth the share:

This came up on another forum and thought I'd share it here. May or may not cover guns you have but if it helps even one shooter, it's well worth the share:

Thanks! Those drawings are better than most of the others I've found. I needed one for the Crosman 357.

J~

Reactions: maxtrouble
I recently picked up a BSF model S54 underlever, from the 1960's. I am starting to bond with it...it's sheer weirdness is somehow endearing, LOL.

EC7EA541-CF96-4EC5-A014-7E39222E8470.jpeg

I recently re-installed its open sights, which was a surprisingly complex little job.

C1A5666B-45B6-4371-B2A0-1D583757A758.jpeg

64CDC112-1153-481F-ADE5-A69E62F34F33.jpeg

This very example, no. 4707, was once owned by Tom Gaylord himself, and covered in his Pyramyd blog.