• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you close one eye?

The advantage to both eyes open is seeing a wider field of view. Possibly seeing incoming objects/people better (one side only since the scope would block from the other direction), maybe reading wind, probably other factors. But it doesn't mean you will shoot more accurately with both open vs one closed. One eye and the sights (open or optic) are all that is REQUIRED for an accurate shot. Not to say that advantages to both open aren't present and I almost always shoot that way myself. But people are different and everyone should shoot the way they are most comfortable.

I tried shooting with both eyes open today and was surprised how easy it seems. My groups also improved as it seems that I can see the target much better at 25 yards. Not MOA but all within 1" which is great for these 82 year old eyes. I will get new glasses from the VA next month which should also help. My HW95 is a lot of fun to shoot & my wife also enjoys target shooting. Good luck to all and stay safe.

As has been said, use which ever method you are most comfortable with and which you are more accurate with, during my LE career part of my duties was the department firearms instructor and armorer, I was Alphabet org trained as an instructor and attended two Armorers schools, and also instructed for a couple of other area LE agencies.

In the time I worked with allot of officers that had trouble qualifying and was able to make suggestions that helped them be better shooters, in my opinion when shooting a shotgun, open sights, or any optic without magnification it's best to keep both eyes open, everyone has a dominant eye, most right hand shooters have a dominant right eye, most left hand shooters have left dominant vision, for those who have a problem shooting with both eyes open (as someone with one eye stronger than the other), wearing a patch that covers the non dominant eye during shooting a few times usually solves the problem.

However, shooting with a scope is different, an optic with magnification increases thee distance that one can see, most rifle scopes have a set objective lens, usually set for either 50 or 100 yards, some scopes (usually variable powered scopes) have adjustable objective lenses that can be adjusted for different yardages from 15 yds. to infinity, when looking through a scope that magnifies the target image the non dominant eye is not seeing the same image, example: you are right eye dominant, you are looking through a four power scope and seeing an image four times closer than your non dominant eye which does confuse your vision, it's better to close your non dominant eye.

If you have normal vision (even if you wear corrective glasses) when you are looking at an image with both eyes open you vision is not impaired in any way, but close or cover one eye and your vision is impaired, you've lost your depth perception, when looking through a magnifying optic with one eye, your other eye doesn't see the same image in the same way if it remains open.

That's not speculation or opinion, it's natural biology.

Reactions: bandg
As has been said, use which ever method you are most comfortable with and which you are more accurate with, during my LE career part of my duties was the department firearms instructor and armorer, I was Alphabet org trained as an instructor and attended two Armorers schools, and also instructed for a couple of other area LE agencies.

In the time I worked with allot of officers that had trouble qualifying and was able to make suggestions that helped them be better shooters, in my opinion when shooting a shotgun, open sights, or any optic without magnification it's best to keep both eyes open, everyone has a dominant eye, most right hand shooters have a dominant right eye, most left hand shooters have left dominant vision, for those who have a problem shooting with both eyes open (as someone with one eye stronger than the other), wearing a patch that covers the non dominant eye during shooting a few times usually solves the problem.

However, shooting with a scope is different, an optic with magnification increases thee distance that one can see, most rifle scopes have a set objective lens, usually set for either 50 or 100 yards, some scopes (usually variable powered scopes) have adjustable objective lenses that can be adjusted for different yardages from 15 yds. to infinity, when looking through a scope that magnifies the target image the non dominant eye is not seeing the same image, example: you are right eye dominant, you are looking through a four power scope and seeing an image four times closer than your non dominant eye which does confuse your vision, it's better to close your non dominant eye.

If you have normal vision (even if you wear corrective glasses) when you are looking at an image with both eyes open you vision is not impaired in any way, but close or cover one eye and your vision is impaired, you've lost your depth perception, when looking through a magnifying optic with one eye, your other eye doesn't see the same image in the same way if it remains open.

That's not speculation or opinion, it's natural biology.

Logical point of view. +1.

41vAx7Y66yL._AC_.1618697887.jpg

I have always shot both eyes open. About two weeks ago I had cataract surgery, on my dominate eye. Result has been so good so far that I have not been wearing my glasses, but will need reading glasses afterward. To give an example of what the dominate eye does. my new lens gives me what they say is now 20/20 in that eye and distant objects appear crystal clear if I cover the other eye , objects just using it are very blurry. The brain apparently makes the one with better vision take over for the most part, Using both eyes is not quite as sharp as both eyes but very good, better than my latest prescription glasses that are about 5 months old. I have noticed the same when shooting, the dominate eye focuses on the sights and target.

As a field target shooter, I keep both eyes open. My left eye sees the level, wind conditions and anything moving that gives real time data to make a better shot. Holding off six inches on one shot and one inch on the next shot, to hit the same target, can only be done if your input is real time. This may be specific to field target, but hunting would probably be about the same.

good advice here. I also shoot FT. I'm left eye dominant, but shoot right handed. I close my left eye to range the target using the PA, but then shoot with both eyes open. To me, it seems to make the image brighter and it's less strain on left eye. It also has the benefits that TJ mentioned above.

There is the temptation anytime conditions with flash or light or shade or whatever will cause you to blink the other eye to make sure your dominant eye is there on target alone, but it changes the focus from binocular to monocular and that creates fatigue with precision loss.

Use BOTH eyes to be sure every time or lose confidence in TWO eyes and believe ONE that can't relate depth without the other.

I shoot bare bow (no sights) with both eyes open. When shooting guns airor powder, I keep both eyes open when shooting open sights and when using a scope I usually close my less dominate eye while sighting on target and may open both during trigger pull. Sounds odd but works for me. I haven't shot trap for years but when shooting a moving target, both eyes are open.