• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you close one eye?

Have two friends who are more experienced shooters than I am. One says both eyes open, the other says only do that with a shotgun. What do you all recommend and why? I am still newbie enough to develop good or bad habits. I've been shooting with both eyes open most of the time - whether I am using a scope or open sight - but I mostly use open sights.

- G

I'm not a seasoned bench shooter like others that will probably respond to this and I am really curious what they will say. But in my opinion if the eye you are looking through the scope with is your dominate eye and what your other eye is seeing does not muss up your sight picture (or confuse your brain) then by all means keep them both open. Wish I could do that but I'm left eye dominate and shoot a rifle right handed.

Keep them both open. Use a blinder when shooting for fun.

41vAx7Y66yL._AC_.1616710732.jpg

Think about it, do you close one eye when you throw a football or baseball? How about when you line up a shot on a pool table? The brain is use to both open, best to shoot everything that way if you can. Dominate eye is a much bigger deal, if your left dominate and shooting right handed thats much worse than closing one eye. Most important of all is after 50 never go around a mirror. 

As a field target shooter, I keep both eyes open. My left eye sees the level, wind conditions and anything moving that gives real time data to make a better shot. Holding off six inches on one shot and one inch on the next shot, to hit the same target, can only be done if your input is real time. This may be specific to field target, but hunting would probably be about the same.