Do you believe designing a rife with a unnatural cocking arm at the extreme back end absurd ?

Do you believe designing a rife with a unnatural cocking arm at the extreme back end absurd ?

• Yes, it's unnatural to a conventional rifle design that's in front of your face and ears

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • No because it gives you a maximum barrel length starting at the end and worth the compromise

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I didn't realize how it pulls me out of the shooting position on every shot

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Makes sense to everybody else, maybe your heads in the wrong place :rolleyes:
Actually it does not, a mid body cocking Pup will have the same possible full lenght barrel of a rear cocking Pup
You just worded your options to serve your quest.

If I'm on the bench or hunting ( even more so ) I always take my head of the cheek rest even with a standard side lever rifle, the necessity of keeping your head on the scope is vastly overblown.

Taipans are simple, effective, extremely well made PCPs that you hardly ever see in the classified for a good reason.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
As with many similar threads, most of the detractors have never owned one. As for breaking position to cock it, well, it depends on your position. If you're slung up under service rifle tension, then for some shooters that may be a valid point. For me, it doesn't matter, I am out of position either way. Most of my non-bench shooting is seated, using a shooting stick. In that scenario, it's less disruptive to keep my dominant side in place, and reach over the comb with my forward hand to cock with the rear lever, leaving the rifle supported in front with the stick or bipod. It just depends.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
I have to agree with @AirArcher66 ...they have a cult following and are not often on the classifieds. @intenseaty22 let me shoot his last month and man oh man was it a fantastic little rifle. My jam? No not really. But I can see if I spent more than 20 minutes with it A) I would buy one and B) I would get a good cocking routine down.

I think if you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that. Don't shoot one either for 20 min 😂.

Last edited by a moderator:
… I like my mid cocking P35s even though I know that the rear cocking P15s are the same gun but half a pound lighter (probably mostly the stock).
I like my scopes as close as possible to the bore. On my P15 (Skyhawk), I can get my scope height comfortably down to just under 2”. That would not be possible on a P35 with the mid cocking linkages above the barrel. My Delta Wolf has the same issue with the cocking linkage design. Above the bore linkage makes for a design that is more easily switchable left or right side but there are trade offs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Actually it does not, a mid body cocking Pup will have the same possible full lenght barrel of a rear cocking Pup
You just worded your options to serve your quest.

If I'm on the bench or hunting ( even more so ) I always take my head of the cheek rest even with a standard side lever rifle, the necessity of keeping your head on the scope is vastly overblown.

Taipans are simple, effective, extremely well made PCPs that you hardly ever see in the classified for a good reason.
I’ve seen plenty of them for resale but to be fair every gun hits the classified sooner or later

Last edited:
For slow fire applications where single loading is often preferred (FT for instance), I think the rear cocking lever is an ideal solution. I have used a Diana Skyhawk (much like a Taipan Veteran layout). The top loading single shot tray with the rear cocking lever right there, gives a great combination of simplicity, light weight, convenience, and visibility.

For faster shooting with a magazine, where I prefer not to break position, a forward cocking lever is a better solution.

I did not answer the poll because the choices do not apply in my case. Or they don’t make sense (choice #2).
LOL whatcha mean "don't make sense" ?
Was your head in the wrong place when Goldwing told the previous person that his head was in the wrong place for the same opinion?
Go, tell him Goldwing ...

Reactions: Goldwing
I also like cocking with my non-trigger hand but I find that really easy to do with a mid position lever that projects in front of my face. I shoot from my left shoulder and I like the lever on the right, like guns normally come for a right handed shooter. If I want I can stay in the scope and just reach up and load another pellet. Even if I am not still looking through the scope I like using my right hand to cock. But then I am right handed (and left eye dominant).

To me this is somewhat like regulated versus unregulated. I like regulated guns with the cocking lever above the trigger but that doesn't mean I would never buy a rear cocking gun. If I was to buy a big bore, for instance, it would very likely be the Bulldog in 45 which cocks in the rear. I like bullpups, I don't like rifles as long as short people are tall. Bullpup is more important to me than where the cocking lever is.

I also agree with the comment that the scope has to be very high on a P35 due to the cocking rod being above the barrel. It is always high on a bullpup because your face is going above the action of the gun but it is higher on a P35. I am still adjusting to that. I have to recognize when I am inside of 20 yards and adjust my point of aim accordingly. At 10 yards, two mil dots high with my scope on 6X works pretty well. You do get it back to some degree on the other end. I zero my bullpups at about 40 yards and only have a mid flight rise of about 1/4 inch. A lower scope wouldn't support that at my guns velocities.

Reactions: Goldwing