• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you believe designing a rife with a unnatural cocking arm at the extreme back end absurd ?

Do you believe designing a rife with a unnatural cocking arm at the extreme back end absurd ?

• Yes, it's unnatural to a conventional rifle design that's in front of your face and ears

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • No because it gives you a maximum barrel length starting at the end and worth the compromise

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I didn't realize how it pulls me out of the shooting position on every shot

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BTW option # 2 makes no sense since mid body cockers have also a full barrel lenght starting at the extreme back, only difference is that you have extra parts to create that link vs a rear cocker that is more simple.

Option 2 should just read " No I don't believe it's absurd because it works just fine " 😂
Makes sense to everybody else, maybe your heads in the wrong place :rolleyes:

Not voting; uber repetitive topic. Just wanted to know if that is Bill Murray up there cocking that absurd rear lever!
No, man! It’s this guy-
75ECAC75-74B5-47BC-A7E7-D4D26B3A9661.png

This question has been raised so many times and I have had opinions on both side. Overall I do not think that rear cocking is a good design based on the OPs questions. However, there are always compromises in design. The rear cocking is/was an easier design than creating linkages to move the cocking forward. It is direct and smooth.

One must weigh the benefits and drawbacks. For me it's been a back and forth which has ultimately lead me to accept the other benefits of the Taipan design outweigh the small inconvenience.

If I could meet the individual who "designed the Taipan cocking mechanism" and the gun in general I would look them in the eye and say "WELL DONE" and offer to buy them a beer or vodka if they were Russian...LOL!
This is not a complicated thing, if you don't think/know they are not for you don't get one...10 shots of my knee @ 30 yards with the cheap pellets, can do it more times than not...nuff said...have a nice day!
20220906_153054.jpg

20221006_174649.jpg

We “all” adapt somewhat to any of our guns. Others adapt the gun to them. While I voted choice 1. That doesn’t mean I can’t see what a solid gun it is. And I believe those who sing its praises. That rear cocking lever is but one part of the Taipan. I would love to shoot one as they simply look accurate. I wouldn’t kick the Taipan out of my gun safe because it was a rear cocker.🙀😁

Reactions: 450BM and oaks1450
I don’t have one so cannot speak to liking it or not.

BUT…the fact it ‘looks’ cumbersome (I’m not saying it is, but does appear that way) took it out of the running when I purchased a bullpup. Same way FX got taken out because of skinny barrels.

My choice landed on the prophet.

The ONLY thing all this means is taipan lost an opportunity at a sale, which I believe happens quite a bit. Am I going to stand around shaking a finger at them? Nope..it’s their business, not mine.

Still don’t know if I would like one or not…probably never will

Dave

Reactions: 450BM
For slow fire applications where single loading is often preferred (FT for instance), I think the rear cocking lever is an ideal solution. I have used a Diana Skyhawk (much like a Taipan Veteran layout). The top loading single shot tray with the rear cocking lever right there, gives a great combination of simplicity, light weight, convenience, and visibility.

For faster shooting with a magazine, where I prefer not to break position, a forward cocking lever is a better solution.

I did not answer the poll because the choices do not apply in my case. Or they don’t make sense (choice #2).

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted 45061
I’ve had my Taipan for almost 6 years. I only have one gun I’ve owned longer. I jokingly always stick up for the Taipan in most cases. Yes it’s blocky and the reg doesn’t have idiot proof markings on it, but it’s a great gun. I’m glad to see all the guys who now, and it took a while, come out of the woodwork to support the gun. Ironically all of their guns and possibly mine will be in the classifieds the day Talon Tunes announces he has a shipment of forward cocking Taipans coming into port. For now I hope nobody gets killed or injured by charging pests, gets attacked by a renegade Shoot-N-C target or lose the opportunity to be in the prairie dog record books because you didn’t have a fast enough follow up shot.