Do these look OK?

Traded for these but I’ve never seen this whitish look to them. They do feel a little clammy and I do get some whitish residue on my fingers.

Is this wax ? ok to shoot ? Am I going to be scrubbing my barrel out after ?

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like lead oxide to me. Essentially the same as "rust" on iron. Other than the lead oxide they look to be in good shape. I wouldn't be concerned about shooting them in my guns, but I would probably apply some beeswax, Lemon Pledge, Silicone Oil or something similar by rolling them around on a soft cloth. It should remove the worst of the build up on the surface, Make sure whatever you apply doesn't build up in the hollow point cavity.

It could also be the remains of something that the previous owner applied to them, that has dried up and / or breaking down.

Reactions: Camoflash
Looks like lead oxide to me. Essentially the same as "rust" on iron. Other than the lead oxide they look to be in good shape. I wouldn't be concerned about shooting them in my guns, but I would probably apply some beeswax, Lemon Pledge, Silicone Oil or something similar by rolling them around on a soft cloth. It should remove the worst of the build up on the surface, Make sure whatever you apply doesn't build up in the hollow point cavity.

It could also be the remains of something that the previous owner applied to them, that has dried up and / or breaking down.
Thank you !

I have about 9 sealed tins that are all like this so I doubt the original purchaser added anything. They likely have been sitting for a few years in a humid environment I guess ?

I got a whole bunch of them like that about a year ago and they shot totally awesome in my impact. Almost felt like a lithium coating. Unfortunately the next shipment did not have that coating and I was totally bummed.

Allen
That made me LOL.

It totally does feel like a white lithium coating. I’ll send a tin and see how it goes. Cleaning the barrel before and after should tell me if it’s causing build up

Reactions: Healthservices
This coating is not normal for our slugs.
At the beginning of the production of the Slug HP .22 we used a new lubricant for the machines. This lubricant reacted with the applied coating against oxydation and created the milky and sticky covering. Unfortunately, the reaction took place after a few weeks when the slugs were already on their way to our customers. We now use a different lubricant.
The coating has no negative effect on precision. But you can easily remove it with a mild citric acid (e.g. with Lemon Pledge).
I apologize for this mistake.

Best regards

Jörg