Do sun shades really make a difference

I've tested with and without. Definitely noticeably better image(less "washed out") through my scopes(Athlon Midas Tac, Hawke Sidewinder, Vector Continental, Delta Stryker) when looking toward the sun or glare, particularly at higher magnifications. I also noticed that the image seemed darker in really low light(dusk).

Last edited:
I find them useful when squirrel hunting. Shooting up into the trees they help cut the glare. They're help a lot when using the Tactacam.
I also use a Tactacam. I know that they make a difference, my question really is how much. I suppose until I try leaving them off for a bit, I won't know.

I hunt and shoot FT. I used them for years. A couple of years ago I decided to try flash kills. I don’t use either now.
Unless my target(s) are in such a location the glare of the sun affects my ability to clearly see I don’t have them arbitrarily mounted. I carry them with me just in case though. They will limit the light gathering capabilities of the scope when there is no glare thus making the target ever so slightly darker.
I had a flash kill on a scope last year on a hunting trip using a Tactacam. Although to my eye, the image was sharp and clear, the videos did not have the sharpness and clarity I hoped for.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
My Vector Veyron came with a kill flash instead of a traditional sun shade, and this scope, more than my others, really needs the glare reduction. I also use this cheap universal sun shade, which really helps. It looks silly, but I don’t mind at all.
7B666D8D-FB20-442C-B5E1-C8E2ABA0197A.jpeg

@davecole I was wondering if a kill flash shared many benefits with a sunshade. Thanks for the bit about how it affected your video quality. I had some low-light footage on a squirrel and could not figure out why it came out the way that it did. I don’t even consider the effect of kill flash on the light gathering ability of the objective lens or the video quality.

They work sometimes in some situations. Terrible answer! right. When the sun is low in the sky or directly in front of me. They really don't. My most convent range is out of my back door shooting west and I have tried everything. 12" black cardstock rolled into a long shade taped on the scope won't work when the sun is low. The only thing I have found to work great in that situation is to have a black shade cloth hanging in front of me from the rafters and just high enough not to block my vision. Also as said above when the sun is shining into the back of your scope or into your eye in that situation all I have found to be 100% is a cloth over my head and scope to block the light. But when the sun is not too low or off to the left or right they work great and I use them. Just saying there will be times that they won't work.

Hey Hawk,, Yep ,they sure do. My range faces West so I'm always shooting with a setting sun above or behind my targets. Most of my scopes r Hawks 2-7x32 with the honey-comb thingy but I do have an extension piece for my Hawke 2-7X32 I have on my Flash bull-pup and it works really well. By the way,,the Hatsan FlashPup with the Hawke 2-7 X 32 with the extended (3")(?) sun-shade is a really nice combo.