• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Do Silencers Affect Accuracy?

I am not a rocket scientist just a simple guy who has purchased a few moderators over time, from the very small to the overly large soup cans. I humbly submit that a GOOD DESIGNED moderator does provide for overall pellet stability thus adding to your down range accuracy. While a INCORRECT DESGNED moderator affects that stability, making a less accurate down range. So how do I tell which is good or incorrect? I've found that word of mouth from any moderator brand purchasers placing on what weapons manufacturer wares or any testing data or grafts that support any manufacturer claims, to get your frog skins😎

When i get my Maverick i am so going to shoot it with nothing on for a while before i put my silencer on it, looking forward to see what POI change will be from this, and of course also grouping.

I am going to use the silencer i have been using on my .22, but down the road i might well procure a new "can"

but first other than gun order of the day is to get a new 9 or 12 L carbon fiber tank, i intend to use my old steel tank to do the base filling, and then only top up with the 300 bar carbon fiber tank.

I had a POI change on moderators that were one size bigger than my caliber. Example .22 running a 22-25cal moderator, but no change in accuracy. Only issue is I have to use zero offset if I want to woods walk without it on.

I had no POI change when I went 30 cal specific on my FX with silence ordnance. I found that nice so I went caliber specific on my Cricket 2 and ordered a .22-.25 moderator for my 25. Noticed with DonnyFL you have to order a .177-.22 to get a .22 specific moderator and the same with the 25. 

Not talking about harmonics (physics) how a tube resonates in between node points and with what frequency...

I am talking about turbulence inside the LDC/moderator/silencer chambers....the air blast that runs out in front - pushed by a pellet, and air blast runs behind -and pushing the pellet, creates you call it "huricane" inside the enclosure, (physics again) and creates frequencies to a projectile, good or bad frequencies to the mass.

I believe that phenomena is a same or similar effect to BC and POI as a bad crown. Now again depend of a projectile mass, speed and spin ration you may notice it more or less...