Do Quality PCP Airguns Retain Value?

No, airguns are not firearms.....in general.

Now I think someone on this forum or another, pointed out that Rock Island was selling a bunch of antique air guns....I am quite sure if you bought one of those the value would sooner or later go up....but the current crop, nope. Perhaps in 300 years if the FX is still around it might be worth something, but 10-20-50 years on like firearms nope....great big bucket of nope.

I have never lost money on a firearm, always made money, be it an early Marlin 60 with no sn#, Savage, or Milsurp.....even look at SKS or mosin at one time those sold for sub $100 those same guns are 3-4X that now.....and up. You will not find an air gun do anything like that.

I will say it was a good try at airgun snobbery however.

There is a point where you get what you pay for, then you pay for a name....it is up to you where that line is for YOU, however when you try to sell it, you might find people think you are out of line and not priced reasonable.....the chance you take when you shell out multi thousands on an air gun that is counting on its name.

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that airguns will wear, and they have to be rebuilt sometime. I have a couple firearms from the 50's that are in excellent condition and they still perform like they did the day they were made. Something that bothers me and could relate to value is the fact that We the airgun community let the makers get away with selling sub par guns. I cringe when I read a post about a safety not working on a new gun. As long as we buy poor quality they will make it. But maybe Im wrong it does seem quality is a going away. You can buy a shovel that breaks the first time its used. Sorry didn't mean to be an old man rant.

Jim

Whether it be a $299 or $2000 shovel I would still be hurting. One more day or so to get deals on cyber discounted shovels!

CA

I think if you buy new your going to take a hit. How much depends on the type of gun and how well you bought. Getting a good deal on a Daystate Regal and it will hold value pretty well as its a classic high quality air gun in no way the latest or greatest. Buy the brand new super duper Impact and your paying to have just that. Keep it two years and they introduce the super improved super duper Impact II and your going to take a butt kicking on resale. But, that's just the cost of having the new super duper gun. On lower end guns like Marauders and Hatsan you will take a beating but it will only be a couple of hundred at most. It just depends on what twists your tail. If you have the disposable income and don't mind taking a beating every couple of years to have the latest FX then more power to ya and thanks for providing more affordable lightly used guns for those of us on a budget.

Maybe I should start another thread on what would be your top 10 classic air rifle or PCP rifle collector list. Sounds like a good time to buy. I already have a few that would be on my list - Air Arms TX200, FX Tarantula, Feinwerkbau M65 MK2, Leshiy and Impact. I am sure I am missing a lot. I took a 15-20 year break from the hobby with kids and work interfering with what was really important :)

I’ve only been at this pcp thing a year, but being retired I am on Airgun forums a lot, reading, researching, and schooling myself. I’ve wandered into the classified adds, too. What I’ve noticed is, if you’ve dumped hundreds of dollars into power upgrades, moderators, etc. the general pcp public could care less and will not pay for those added mods, even though owning a modded gun will benefit them in the long run. They want to pay only what that rifle is worth, used. I’ve been watching a fully modded Marauder in the classifieds just sit there. For the original asking price you could tell the seller was trying to recoup the cost of the rifle and the power upgrade mod costs, and maybe minus a hundred bucks. No one touched it. That gun is now way below new cost, and mods are pretty much being given away for free. It’s too bad, really.

so, looking at the Marauder I’ve modded, I’ve probably got the cost of a new Marauder on top of what I paid in that gun new a year ago. Maybe even more. Will I ever recoup at least half of what I put into it? Probably not. That is why I am not into selling. I buy to keep. I plan all my upgrades as best I can, cause I know I’ll never get back what it cost me to make it such a fine shooter. With centerfire guns, it seems people are more willing to pay for costly upgrades, like having rifles blueprinted and all that expensive machine work. Just my opinion.

It has been my experience that the higher quality AG's will hold value better than the less expensive rifles. Unlike stamps and coins AG's are not a true investment unless they reach vintage status in good to pristine condition. As others have posted do to the rapid evolution of recent AG's yesterdays holy smoke rifle is now old news and there is a newer upgraded version of the rifle that you thought was amazing just a year ago. My advice is buy what you will enjoy and if you can find a used one in good condition be happy that they don't hold value

One of the original Daisey BB guns that was given with, I think it was, a tractor purchase would be worth a few hundred $$ if I remember correctly. Tried to find the Model 1896 that got me started shooting as a child. Almost unavailable and over $100 when you do find them. Those two have sentimental type collector value. As for other airguns, I can only speak to my Impact. It was about 14 months old when I bought it used from AoA for $1500. That means AoA took a cut and probably only gave the seller $1100 or so. That means, the $2000 retail gun depreciated 40% to 45% in a bit over a year.

On that experience, I'd have to say, No, Airguns do not hold value.

I'm one that doesn't usually sell stuff once I buy it, so I'll shoot these guns till I'm in the ground. Definitely not an investment, unless a negative return is what you are looking for, then a GREAT negative return investment. Firearms are different. They do tend to hold value, though not always. Airguns, not so much.

using my 1993 dodge diesel pickup as an example, in clean condition these are much sought after and people will pay way above blue book to get one. Why? Simplicity at its best. No fancy schamancy seat warmers, computer this and that. I’m predicting, one of these days, and I know you all are seeing it, these computerized air rifles, digital gages, mother boards in some, won’t be long till that’s all standard issue. I am betting any of you one day, someone will come up with an air rifle you plug into the wall for 10 minutes or less, and it’s charged up with air. Also, it’ll have an on board chronograph

And in the end, there will be folks looking for simple, classic, air rifles. Just look at the FWB 124 spring piston rifles. There are folks paying top dollar for those. That rifle is over twenty years old!