Do people not proofread their posts before submitting?

I am constantly blown away by the number of posts that I see here that simply make no sense.

Now, this is not for the non-English speakers, or at least those whose first language isn’t English. They get a pass here (although many do better than the native speakers). I’m not even talking about the “conspiracy” minded among us. To me, that is just a different perspective (although sometimes scary, sometimes amusing, and always interesting….).

No, I am thinking of the posts that just have no structure to the sentences, the ones that read like someone did a random mind dump of words. Word Salads I call them.

I can live with the occasional misspelling, the occasional rambling posts, but really, some of them simply start out in the middle of a thought, drop random words here and there, and end up nowhere, often with a question or statement at the end implying that if the readers don’t see it that way then they don’t know what’s really going on. To which my response is often “Huh”, or just as often, WTF..

Really folks, think a little about what you want to say before you write. Then write it. Then read it again and ask if someone who is not inside your head is gonna understand this. If not, edit the darned thing, rinse, and repeat. THEN hit submit.

OK. I’m gonna lay off the coffee and take my meds.

Rant Mode OFF.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving Y’all.

Chris

I am constantly blown away by the number of posts that I see here that simply make no sense.

Now, this is not for the non-English speakers, or at least those whose first language isn’t English. The get a pass here (although many do better than the native speakers).

The irony is rather funny. :)

Irony is a bitch 😂

Gonna edit though…..

9babc0bdcf0ea98b7547b415c0f91c7c57731d76e295f39e64a52cb17928e933.1638294857.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Trgt_acqd
Maybe a good stiff drink in one hand and a keyboard could be responsible for some of the odd posts. I always enjoy the monster sentence with no punctuation. That’s generally the result of not paying attention when you were in school. There’s one guy who sells a lot of stuff. I won’t mention his name but he’s had some stuff that I would have been interested in buying if his grammar and spelling didn’t make me so nervous. Seeing as how my phone and iPad think they know how to form sentences better than I do, I always try to proof what I typed. But sometimes I miss the words it changed. Technology. 

Now, this is not for the non-English speakers, or at least those whose first language isn’t English. They get a pass here (although many do better than the native speakers). I’m not even talking about the “conspiracy” minded among us. To me, that is just a different perspective (although sometimes scary, sometimes amusing, and always interesting….).

No, I am thinking of the posts that just have no structure to the sentences, the ones that read like someone did a random mind dump of words. Word Salads I call them.

I can live with the occasional misspelling, the occasional rambling posts, but really, some of them simply start out in the middle of a thought, drop random words here and there, and end up nowhere, often with a question or statement at the end implying that if the readers don’t see it that way then they don’t know what’s really going on. To which my response is often “Huh”, or just as often, WTF..

Really folks, think a little about what you want to say before you write. Then write it. Then read it again and ask if someone who is not inside your head is gonna understand this. If not, edit the darned thing, rinse, and repeat. THEN hit submit.

OK. I’m gonna lay off the coffee and take my meds.

Rant Mode OFF.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving Y’all.

Chris

@Chrisis Sound advice. 

I’m under the impression that some folks come here to troll. Others appear to log in drunk and just wanna agitate people for their own amusement. As for grammar and writing structure, I believe that some folks have probably struggled with it the majority of their lives. Within this group many probably shine in other areas (they may be super mechanically inclined). As long as they can articulate a comprehensible thought I do my best to follow and interact. I hope they tolerate my ignorance just the same. Aside from that fools and trolls generally are ignored or hidden. 

Now, this is not for the non-English speakers, or at least those whose first language isn’t English. The get a pass here (although many do better than the native speakers).

I agree!! Not just on this forum either. Sometimes the grammar and spelling is so atrocious that I cannot understand what they are trying to say. Most of the time I just skip right over those posts.

https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I have a speech problem caused by getting my throat cut open, consequently I have a hard time sounding out words, it is bad enough that the spelling checker can even understand me....and corrects me with the wrong word.....now that I should be able to catch....sometimes I don't.

Even when I do proofread I can still miss my mistakes because ,frankly I talk funny.I hate it,not being able to use big intelligent words because I can not pronounce them,yet I know what words to use....I can sing good though,ever notice most songs do not use big long words, especially C&W?.....

I guess you can say I speak like a foreigner,I am glad this subject was brought up because I know some people have a very hard time thinking what they want to say and then being able to say it .....and it could be a keyboard problem,a lot of us are searching around for the letters on it and looking at the screen.....then the spelling checker screws it up more....

Posting is a hassle,yet I have a Need to convey my thoughts and Try to help others or get help.

So for some people it may take 10 minutes to write a post,me 2 to 3 times as long....I am getting better and now I know the spelling checker can be my enemy if I let it......

Irony is a bitch 😂

Gonna edit though…..

Not to pile on but you may want to work on your ellipsis.

Five is too many... dots :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Not that I'm anything special.

Barely passed high school English with a D and I'm a hunt-and-peck "typist" 😂 :D

Irony is a bitch
1f602.svg

Gonna edit though…..

Not to pile on but you may want to work on your ellipis.

Five is too many... dots :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Not that I'm anything special.

Barely passed high school English with a D and I'm a hunt-and-peck "typist"
1f602.svg
:D

Listen, anyone who actually knows to use the word “ellipsis” is OK with me (and I’m gonna give you a pass for the spell check on ellipis…) 😇

You will rarely see a post from me that hasn't been edited. At least for typos and sometimes to add information or correct factual information.

Although I do try and proof read my posts before I hit submit, quite often I miss or forget things. Not to mention the typos. (grin)

Did I mnetoin the tpoys? (cuhklce)

Oh...........................................

Never mind...................................

Maybe a good stiff drink in one hand and a keyboard could be responsible for some of the odd posts. I always enjoy the monster sentence with no punctuation. That’s generally the result of not paying attention when you were in school. There’s one guy who sells a lot of stuff. I won’t mention his name but he’s had some stuff that I would have been interested in buying if his grammar and spelling didn’t make me so nervous. Seeing as how my phone and iPad think they know how to form sentences better than I do, I always try to proof what I typed. But sometimes I miss the words it changed. Technology.

I second this as the possible culprit! I am guilty of this myself from time to time. Drunken posting/ranting is usually great for some comic relief. 

https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Sorry to hog this thread , but this is scary. I read this entire post without issue and understood it. I need a beer! LOL!

Sorry to hog this thread , but this is scary. I read this entire post without issue and understood it. I need a beer! LOL!

A large number of people have zero issues. It doesn't even slow down my reading speed when I encounter things such as prior shared or the other posters. My children, even those only in second grade, also have no issues.

It's why I find threads like these, well, mostly silly. I'm happy to see the light hearted humor and kindness we share in this hobby and no individuals singled out.

As for me -- If the intent of the written word is communication and the above is clearly malformed, yet there are no problems reading and comprehending it, I don't see the gripe and I doubt threads such as these will serve any value other than to alienate or polarize those who may have a disability. I also don't wash my pellets, weigh them, sort them, or lubricate them with essential oils... but I won't deride those that do :)

Reactions: boscoebrea