• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do Pellets with BB Tips exist on the market?

A hard tip is theoretically beneficial for penetration, but the number of real world scenarios where insufficient penetration is a problem is few to none when simply using a conventional domed pellet. And in most cases a quality domed pellet will be more accurate, which is of far greater benefit to producing a clean kill than a pellet that penetrates deeply but misses the brain or vitals.

Where the goal is maximizing knockdown power, the opposite end of the spectrum is usually preferable. A pellet which expands (hollow point) or simply a flat nose (wadcutter) produces more tissue damage than a dome. Provided it arrives with enough velocity to penetrate, that is. For most everything except a shallow angle frontal shot on medium critters (e.g. raccoon) or a thick-skulled animal like a mature hog, that's not a problem. But there's usually a tradeoff in accuracy so the nod may still go to a dome if the distances stretch out.

A hard tip is theoretically beneficial for penetration, but the number of real world scenarios where insufficient penetration is a problem is few to none when simply using a conventional domed pellet. And in most cases a quality domed pellet will be more accurate, which is of far greater benefit to producing a clean kill than a pellet that penetrates deeply but misses the brain or vitals.

Where the goal is maximizing knockdown power, the opposite end of the spectrum is usually preferable. A pellet which expands (hollow point) or simply a flat nose (wadcutter) produces more tissue damage than a dome. Provided it arrives with enough velocity to penetrate, that is. For most everything except a shallow angle frontal shot on medium critters (e.g. raccoon) or a thick-skulled animal like a mature hog, that's not a problem. But there's usually a tradeoff in accuracy so the nod may still go to a dome if the distances stretch out.

Excellent advice from Jason. 👍🏼

And Firewalker answered within only 21 minutes of the OP. 👍🏼

Isn't this forum great?! 😃

A pellet that has a BB tip. Is this feasible? I feel like the knockdown power of this would be way better than any pellet tip type. Maybe i'm just ignorant. Either way, please let me know if they exist, i'd like to buy it asap. I have a junkyard full of trash I want to unleash a fury upon.
What is it you're hunting that needs so much penetration? I largely just hunt raccoons with a .22, and I always get pass-throughs. So expansion is mainly what I'm looking for.

Be aware of the "gimmick" pellets out there. They appeal to the male child in us (bigger, better explosion, more carnage, etc.). What REALLY counts is accuracy & efficiency. Most, if not all, of the gimmick pellets I purchased in the beginning were crap! The companies that produce them probably know how bad they really are but still make $ triggering that part of our psychology 🤪

Reactions: JEFFPPC