• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do pellet sizers work?

So I am looking to maximize the accuracy of my dreamline and leshiy. Both of them are in .22 caliber. I know that there is wide variance in the size and weight in each tin of pellets. I was thinking about getting a pelletgage in order to figure out what head size my rifles prefer. Once I do the testing and figure out which exact size my guns prefer the most would using a pellet sizer to size all the pellets to that corresponding size help? I usually just see people post about weighing and sorting by size, is this because sizing pellets isnt that beneficial?

Moved to Pellets, Projectiles, Slugs and Ammo forum

JadedC,

Some people will say headsize is more important than weight, others the other way around. I think it's a 50/50 split.

If you want to do the best after you weigh them, there is, as you said, the PelletGage. The original PelletGage will help sort out an initial couple of tins for testing. Once you determine what exact size you need, you can order the new PelletGage R. You tell Jerry Cupples that makes the PelletGage, what size you want. It's a shaker type that sorts and separates the exact size you need in seconds. I'll link a review of it on my Channel. 

https://youtu.be/YX_E5gmySf0

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Each gun .. lot of pellets shoot differently . it is YOUR journey and testing to find what works ..... No one can or will hand you instant success in your Air gun ventures.

Sorry to be "realistic"

This is where the airgun fun begins and the learning process teaches us something,

but a head size of 5.53 is good place to start and then see where your journey goes. 

Thanks for the response xbow. But im kinda talking about after you already do those steps. Say you weigh them and create the various piles that correspond to each weigh like 18.11, 18.12, 18.13. Then you check the head size of the pellets and make piles according to the head sizes. Say after testing i conclude that the head size thats the best is 5.52 for example. All the pellets that are left that are bigger than 5.52 can i use a pellet sizer that is specifically measured for 5.52 to resize the pellets or should i just use them for backyard plinking. 

Each gun .. lot of pellets shoot differently . it is YOUR journey and testing to find what works ..... No one can or will hand you instant success in your Air gun ventures.

Sorry to be "realistic"

LOL, I read his OP & instantly thought of you with .22’s to 20’s the other night. Great job by the way. 

I don’t have a good drill press and I’d LOVE a few full variations of machinist zz dril sets. Tooling prices are insane. 

Thanks for the response xbow. But im kinda talking about after you already do those steps. Say you weigh them and create the various piles that correspond to each weigh like 18.11, 18.12, 18.13. Then you check the head size of the pellets and make piles according to the head sizes. Say after testing i conclude that the head size thats the best is 5.52 for example. All the pellets that are left that are bigger than 5.52 can i use a pellet sizer that is specifically measured for 5.52 to resize the pellets or should i just use them for backyard plinking.

In my experience, sorting pellets by weight and head size is the most effective way to get the best accuracy from your rifle. Sizing dies will make the head and skirt the same diameter, when actually the skirts should be larger for best sealing. I've never had much luck with either sizing or lubing.

The TRRobb sizer is available. It is adjustable for depth in a tapered bore so it can size heads (only down in diameter, not up) and the tapered bore maintains a flare. I have a couple and they are simple and relatively well made. I'm less sure about the need for the flare now than in the past when I just accepted that a flare was needed. The concept that a flared skirt aids sealing in the bore certainly seems logical but is it actually working that way? Some claim that the initial air blast will flare the skirt and seal the bore. I'm not sure either way but a slightly beveled bore and flared skirt does seem desirable. Those swaging pellets might have a different take on the issue. As I understand it, swaged pellets are not tapered but I could be wrong.

Does going to slugs help negate/get around the head and pellet weight and head size delima?

Slugs are inherently made more precisely and there is no head size and skirt, so to speak, to content with.

Seems to be a completely different kettle of fish with it's own issues. From what I've read, pellets can be just as if not more accurate at short ranges but the slugs can have advantages at longer ranges. Still seems like a chore to match slug design to barrel/gun specs for many shooters. I only mentioned it to note that a flare doesn't seem to be a design factor in a slug and they still seem to seal in the bore for those who love them. Certainly all JMO as I'm not a slug shooter even though I have a few to try-just relating what I've read. Shooting at long ranges with air guns is just not something that has interested me so I've really stuck with pellets as they do fine for my needs.