• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do Not Buy - Direct Fill Compressor From EdGunWest - Failed less than 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: 

Since the initial report of my compressor’s failure, and not having any other way to put air into my Leshiy 2, I have continued to get what air I could in to my L2. It has continued to decline, from filling the L2 to from 170’s bar down to the 140’s. 

BTW, when hooked up to my truck’s battery, and of course with the engine running, in short time the compressor pulls the voltage down, spiking down to 10 volts as the alternator fights to keep the voltage up.

Last week while putting air into my L2, I heard a pop, the piston noise stopped, sounded like the motor was spinning freely, found that the motor shaft, that drives the compressor’s piston, sheared off. 

It appears that the compressor piston was binding, causing a high current draw that caused a voltage drop from the power source. Eventually the piston binding caused the motor shaft to shear off. 

I have not taken the compressor apart to see what caused the piston binding. 

56E525FE-B53B-4EAC-873F-DA5D842EAFB1.1639106338.jpeg

He must not want any help or he would've posed this in the dealer feedback section where Brian would actually see it.

There’s no reason to post in another section, when I have communicated the issue directly to Brian. 

It’s now obvious that Brian lied when he suggested that a replacement coming from China would be slow. Just seems like he’s trying to wait me out until I give up. 

170C864F-E385-414E-BEDF-3AB7BAB14480.1644527002.jpeg

It is incredible that binding piston and eventual lockup to shear motor shaft did not exceed your breaker value and pop your breaker before shaft ever sheared. If it was tripping the breaker before shaft shearing, why would you reset breaker and try again? It is certainly possible the shaft material used in the motor was substandard and way out of tolerance. This is an expensive lesson. Hope it all works out for you. There is no good reason for poor customer service.

It is incredible that binding piston and eventual lockup to shear motor shaft did not exceed your breaker value and pop your breaker before shaft ever sheared. If it was tripping the breaker before shaft shearing, why would you reset breaker and try again? It is certainly possible the shaft material used in the motor was substandard and way out of tolerance. This is an expensive lesson. Hope it all works out for you. There is no good reason for poor customer service.

Yes, lesson learned: When the compressor starts slowing down, drawing a high current, causing the system over current shutdown, that is symptomatic of a binding compressor. 

Yes, it never blew an internal fuse or tripped the AC circuit breaker. I believe that is due to the internal over current safety kicking in. 

The manufacturer is unknown, not listed on the user manual or the device. 

There are no maintenance or repair parts available anywhere, as far as I have searched.

2nd lesson learned: Don’t buy a PCP Compressor that does not have a resource for maintenance or repair parts!

Reactions: DennisB
Come on guys try and tell me that after all I have been though with Tuxing. People new to this hobby need to know the problems they are getting into when the pay

hard earned money for this junk. Not someone preaching to them. It is what it is, & I refuse to candy coat this stuff. I,m saying people should not buy any product.

But as the fellow above I think the people that read this great form should be aware of what they get when they buy it.

Fly

Surprising you weren't offered a brand new one for warranty exchange.

It looks like Ed Gun West still selling them appears to be in stock right now tried to click and can put one in shopping basket.

Uuually with Chinese made goods it's a send back under warranty for a brand new replacement. 

Dont expect it to last. 

If you have the ability to dispute the credit card charge and get your money back you are better off buying the one from Amazon and add a 4 year protection plan so when it fails you get your money back and probably don't need to bother sendng it back on your dime.

12v portable PCP air compressor 4500psi/310bar with 110v power supply pcp airgun compressor for less than 0.6L tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088WMRQ8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_ZRKS40YK2XN8AA5R9CDX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do they look similar?

https://www.edgunwest.com/store/airgun-fill-accessories/item/rover-mini-direct-fill-compressor/

Eventually WILL ALL fail and chances are many will fail sooner than later.

That is why you really need a 4 year protection plan to get your refund when it fails with in 4 years time.

This is what resellers pay for them. They probably expect and allow for one warranty exchange with in their one year or 90 days warranty. 

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60813276380/300Bar-Portable-12V-Electric-Mini-Pcp.html?s=p&fromSite=wap&ck=share_detail

$134 with free shipping from Aliexpress but now they charge to ship.

That means it's even cheaper than their internet listed prices if bought through Alibaba since Aliexpress is retail sold to the public and Alibaba is whole sale for dealer cost prices or to ndividuals who claim to be or want to become dealers.

If there's a China made compressor with a Life Time Warranty then I'm in. Other than that really need a 4 or 5 year warranty for sure.

Surprising you weren't offered a brand new one for warranty exchange.

It looks like Ed Gun West still selling them appears to be in stock right now tried to click and can put one in shopping basket.

Uuually with Chinese made goods it's a send back under warranty for a brand new replacement. 

He expects me to believe, since November 2021, that the replacement is still in transit from China. 🐂💩

2C8A2F59-43A5-4A65-A907-32068AA5CB34.1644810144.jpeg

Is this what you bought?

The web page doesn't say anything about a warranty, so I would assume ZERO warranty and purchase from EGW only if I thought that was OK. Amazon would be a safer bet because a stated return policy.

I bought a R5M from EGW the pre-sales, sales support and delivery were 1st notch. Sadly when I request replacement part that are not stocked, I get a song and dance over a few weeks of emails and phone calls then got ghosted. Therefore I won't buy from EGW again.

It is interesting that EGW says the R5M fills to 250 bar whereas Edgun's manual says and etched on the receiver is 300 bar. I hope the R5M doesn't have the same controversy as the Leshiy as I fill to 300 bar. I did notice that the o-rings take a beating add are deform after use at that pressure. IMO the o-ring grooves can be a little tighter and/or the OD of the plugs can be larger to minimize that.

Say, has this reached any resolution? I was thinking of buying one from Brian, but wondering what the follow through ended up being

I took it apart, found that the motor shaft sheared off, due the binding of the compressor pump.
The only source, for the replacement motor assembly was on AliExpress.
The motor assembly is $60 + $87.36 for shipping and the compressor pump is $70 + $35.32 shipping.
The total for parts and shipping is well over the cost of buying a new Orcair PCP Air Compressor, on Amazon for $229.

IMG_0738.jpeg

Do yourself a favor and buy the Hill EC-3000 from Airgun Depot, currently on sale for $999, regular price is $1599.

IMG_0731.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this what you bought?

The web page doesn't say anything about a warranty, so I would assume ZERO warranty and purchase from EGW only if I thought that was OK. Amazon would be a safer bet because a stated return policy.

I bought a R5M from EGW the pre-sales, sales support and delivery were 1st notch. Sadly when I request replacement part that are not stocked, I get a song and dance over a few weeks of emails and phone calls then got ghosted. Therefore I won't buy from EGW again.

It is interesting that EGW says the R5M fills to 250 bar whereas Edgun's manual says and etched on the receiver is 300 bar. I hope the R5M doesn't have the same controversy as the Leshiy as I fill to 300 bar. I did notice that the o-rings take a beating add are deform after use at that pressure. IMO the o-ring grooves can be a little tighter and/or the OD of the plugs can be larger to minimize that.
When I bought the compressor, I received the Black case with the smaller LCD. Looks like the Orange case with the new larger LCD is what is shipping now.

These can be bought on Amazon, sold by Orcair.

IMG_0737.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.