Do moderator/silencer increase velocity?

Actually, a moderator "can" increase velocity, among other things, good and bad. Some people notice accuracy problems when using certain moderators on certain guns. Not to mention "clipping", where the projectile actually clips either a baffle or the muzzle of the moderator. A moderator strips turbulent air from behind the projectile, so it may help to stabilize it. Lots of things to consider.

I am not a rocket scientist just a simple guy that has bought a few moderators over time. And for me it's like BackStop said A moderator strips turbulent air from behind the projectile, so it may help to stabilize it. I would only add a "GOOD DESIGNED" moderator so how does the average person know, other than the snake oil sales person? One way is word of mouth by those who have purchased and another are the testing data or grafts that support any manufacturer claims. For me increased velocity matters little, if any moderator makes the pellet less stable in anyway, there for less accurate down range. Some moderators do indeed add more to the overall pellet stability thus adding to your down range accuracy. 😎

https://www.silentthunderordnance.com/air

The correct term is LDC. Aka lead dust collector. A silencer is what is use on a firearm. As for increase speed. No it doesn't. Longer barrel do increase speed. But adding a LDC doesn't make the barrel long. Just only length the outside. Once the pellet enter the LDC, it is a hollow tube. So pressure is being dispersed around the inside instead of keep pushing from behind the pellet like it would in a enclose barrel.

Adding a LDC do increase accuracy. I have guns that shot poor, and adding a LDC help tighter groups. Could be a lot of reason for this. The added weight can help with harmonic. It could be the LDC help trap the dirty air. Who knows. 

The correct term is LDC. Aka lead dust collector. A silencer is what is use on a firearm. As for increase speed. No it doesn't. Longer barrel do increase speed. But adding a LDC doesn't make the barrel long. Just only length the outside. Once the pellet enter the LDC, it is a hollow tube. So pressure is being dispersed around the inside instead of keep pushing from behind the pellet like it would in a enclose barrel.

Adding a LDC do increase accuracy. I have guns that shot poor, and adding a LDC help tighter groups. Could be a lot of reason for this. The added weight can help with harmonic. It could be the LDC help trap the dirty air. Who knows.

No, the correct term is moderator, whether talking about powder burners or air guns. LDC is a silly euphemism that everyone, including the authorities, knows means moderator.

Silencer is the incorrect term. Even with air guns, they do NOT silence.

And yes, in some circumstances, adding a moderator can increase fps slightly. Never say never.

Wasn't the term LDC created over on GTA because of some childish rule about saying the "device which may not be named'?

I'd like to see the chron data that proves any moderator ever actually increased the velocity of a pellet before I accept that as a fact.

The increase that I experienced with my own DIY moderator(s) was slight, but consistent. On the order of 2-5fps. Not a lot, but an increase, none the less.

On the converse, there are some who report losing some fps after attaching a moderator where clipping was not the apparent issue.

Wasn't the term LDC created over on GTA because of some childish rule about saying the "device which may not be named'?

I'd like to see the chron data that proves any moderator ever actually increased the velocity of a pellet before I accept that as a fact.

I believe the term "LDC" came about long before it was used on GTA. For some reason, some people/forums, GTA is one of them, think that if you don't call a rose a rose, it will smell different. LOL!

In any case, moderators for air guns are LEGAL in the USA without having to buy a "Stamp" and pay a $200 Federal tax meant ONLY for moderators used on FIRE ARMS. The Alphabet org has been trying to overstep their authority for years and have been shot down in court. There is ample evidence and legal precedent.

If I remember my history correctly, LDC, Lead Dust Collector, was a moniker made up to hide one's moderator in the U.S. firearms world. There are real LDC's used for cleaning guns that cover the end of a firearm, but BATF is all over that one. What you call it doesn't make any difference. The legal definitions are what counts. So, if you see anything called an LDC in the firearms world and it's not for cleaning, might want to check deeper before buying.

Backstop is correct, the Tax Stamp is only required for firearms, not airguns in the U.S. Do be careful though. If you build your own, and it could work on a firearm, you are in a real gray area of the law. Not saying don't do it, just saying be careful

If I remember my history correctly, LDC, Lead Dust Collector, was a moniker made up to hide one's moderator in the U.S. firearms world. There are real LDC's used for cleaning guns that cover the end of a firearm, but BATF is all over that one. What you call it doesn't make any difference. The legal definitions are what counts. So, if you see anything called an LDC in the firearms world and it's not for cleaning, might want to check deeper before buying.

Backstop is correct, the Tax Stamp is only required for firearms, not airguns in the U.S. Do be careful though. If you build your own, and it could work on a firearm, you are in a real gray area of the law. Not saying don't do it, just saying be careful

I believe that even the Alphabet org "rule" that even if ONE shot from a fire arm can be "silenced", then it is under their jurisdiction has been shot down. And it should.

If not, then pillows, potatoes, soda cans/bottles, etc, etc, etc, etc... could ALL be under the jurisdiction of the Alphabet org as suppressors/moderators.

Yep, forgot to add "suppressor" to the legitimate names for sound moderating/suppressing devices for guns. I am old... I forget things... (chuckle)

Well, I feel old anyway...

Reactions: MEC17670

I believe that even the Alphabet org "rule" that even if ONE shot from a fire arm can be "silenced", then it is under their jurisdiction has been shot down. And it should.

If not, then pillows, potatoes, soda cans/bottles, etc, etc, etc, etc... could ALL be under the jurisdiction of the Alphabet org as suppressors/moderators.

Yep, forgot to add "suppressor" to the legitimate names for sound moderating/suppressing devices for guns. I am old... I forget things... (chuckle)

Well, I feel old anyway...

lol potatoes, why i never thought of that is beyond me .. just cramnit on the end of the barrel right? 😏

An increase of 2-5fps is not a solid enough difference to make a determination of increased speed. That amount of fluctuation could be caused by lighting, a near immeasurable change in pellet fit, angle of the pellet across the chrony and many other things. I don't buy it personally. 

The last time someone told me he saw a speed increase after fitting a tacticool-muzzle-muffler, he shot it across my chrony and we saw no difference. Turns out, he had the muzzle almost against the face of his chrony and it was throwing off the readings from something in the air blast. The tacticool-puff-pickle trapped the vapor or mist or whatever and caused what appeared to be a higher reading. 

Took the same gun, put the muzzle a foot from the chrony, and then the tacticool-barrel-blast-damper the same distance and we got the same speeds every time. With a variation of 2-5fps, across the board, as you'd expect with about any gun in any configuration. 

If you believe that a barrel-blast-buffer can increase velocity, tell is how it does it. 

And if it does, then tell us if an open air stripper does the same. 

All in the name of science and learning. Conclusive theory or evidence either way.