• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do I need a FX Wildcat M3 compact?

I'm going through the same dilemma, though process myself. Different but similar guns, change my mind daily or more.trying not to impulse buy and wishing I could hold what I'm interested in my own hands to see if it make me smile. 

Go with what makes you smile.

Yeah that's the problem too. there are no Airgun dealers anywhere even close to me, not like going into a gun store and picking up a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 590 and holding both of them. I have plenty of firearms and it is easy to get your hands on them and see if they make you smile, unfortunately not the same with PCP airguns as everything is an online purchase for me and until they arrive its to late to see if it makes you happy.

I may get flamed for this as the WC's are great guns for some folks, but I've had WC2's and WC3's and they are all now sold. They just weren't a great fit for me. And I'm no FX hater as I currently own and shoot Impacts, Crowns, Mavericks, and my wife shoots a Dreamline.

But what I have found as I have cycled through different guns for ground squirrel elimination up at the Cowboy range is that the Eastern European guns are just fantastic for this purpose, and you don't pay more for them as they don't carry the popular FX name. When looking at spending the amount you are proposing, look around and don't limit yourself to FX. And think highly about buying used, either from a known member on AGN, or at a reputable dealer like AoA, Baker, UA.

My very top 2 squirrel guns (for my needs, out to about 60 yards) are currently the Impact M3 Compact and the Uragan Compact, both in .22. I don't know what it is about these guns but I can take them out of the case after not shooting them for a month, and they are still dead on accurate. Especially the Uragan, where a buddy told me about a squirrel sunning on a berm, I run to my RV and grab the rifle, and took one shot at 45 yards. I have my squirrel guns tuned down to shoot the 15.89 (Hades) accurately, and this guy never jumped or moved when hit. He just immediately rolled down the berm - lights out. I also find that both of these compacts, especially in .22 cal (all that you really need for squirrels) at the lower power 15.89 gr tune, don't require any moderation besides what is already in the shroud. My Uragan compact is shooting at 810 fps (just because that is where it was tuned when I received it, and it is so accurate) and the M3 at 855 fps.

My other contenders for top squirrel gun include the AGT Vixen Long and the Leshiy Classic, both also in .22 cal. They have both been bloodied at the Cowboy range. The Vixen is also very quiet and has such an incredibly smooth and pleasant shot cycle. The Leshiy is a wholly different package from the other mentioned guns but it is so light and handy, and so well built. But it definitely needs additional moderation for back yard friendly.

I never hunted with my Cricket II before a friend wanted to buy it off me, but that sure was a wonderful gun to shoot - accurate, quiet and smooth shooting 18's right at 880 fps. Lots of shots from that little air tube, but I now have a Cricket II Tactical 450 and I like the air tank on it. Don't like the handling of it quite as much, but the new Steve Corcoran stock for it should arrive via FedEx today.

There are lots of folks on this site who like to defend the Taipans, but I will no longer purchase a gun which I have to cock with my ear. Maybe I'm missing out on something there, but that's the way it goes.

So many of the above guns can be had in maybe the $1000-$1400 range if purchasing pre-owned. And with some of the pre-owned guns I have purchased (pretty much all I do any more), I almost could not tell that they weren't brand new.

So many great choices, although some may not have the big name (yet). Don't limit your purchase decision without considering some other great candidates in your price range (or under).

KC -

Do you...NEED one...only you can answer that question.

BUT it sounds like you...WANT one.

Hell, I only shoot black dots on a piece of paper, and I bought one ! Glad I did.

If your bank account can swing it, go for it. Nice, well balanced gun. Just don't go adjusting the knobs right away, until you do a little shooting. Mine was set up well outta the box. I actually ended up turning the power down a little. I don't need the power to kill bears right now.

Mike

The Kalibur is one I have looked at some but, Brocock keeps distracting me!

Brocock makes some really good "hunting" models versus the target and collector version you see from many others.

For a trim compact hunting model, Kalibur and Brocock is where it's at for me.

https://brocock.co.uk/compatto-xr/

I have also looked at the Brocock line as I watch Iguana Solutions and Jessica uses them in 22 cal. I would go for the Commander XR in 25 cal as it is only 33" long. I guess I need to sell my Avenger and then do more research on all the brands. 

I have an Airmaks Katran Compact (bottle) in .22 that's tiny, light, and pops squirrels like....man it hits hard, and is accurate. It's loud though and needs a big can to be quiet.

I will check them out but I need an ultra quiet gun due to the neighborhood

A DonnyFL Emperor, while long, will make a Katran near mouse-fart quiet.