• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do I need a FX Wildcat M3 compact?

Hello, been shooting pcp airguns for about a year now. I only use them for backyard pest control. Mainly grey squirrels, groundhogs and raccoons. Both of my guns are 25 caliber. My first purchase was Avenger in wood and my second was a Flashpup side lever synthetic. I have only shot the Avenger about 10 time as with the Donny FL Sumo it is 52" long and feels like I am walking around with a 8' 2X4! compared to the Flashpup 32" compact size which I love and have taken many squirrels with and my first groundhog just last week. I am trying to possibly talk my way into or out of a FX Wildcat M3 compact. Are they that good and should I sell the Avenger and save up for one, or is my Flashpup all I need for my 55 yard maximum backyard shots? Would I get a much more accurate gun over the Flashpup which seems to be doing well at a $375 dollar gun. Or is the $1400 Wildcat a must have for me?

Thanks,

Steve

C56C57A9-52DA-4128-9859-A1E858E846B5.1650309420.png
Here’s a nice MKI in the classifieds. Have on in the wood stock and love it. 

Steve,

what kind of accuracy are you seeing with your flash pup? Does it ever experience a shift in point of impact? My first PCP was an Umarex Origin, and it was not very accurate or consistent, so it was easy to justify an upgrade to a Taipan Veteran. However, some people who own lower priced guns have great results. Good luck with your decision.

My accuracy is not bad for a $375 dollar gun with a $150 dollar scope(Athlon Neos 4-12X40SFP) I probably don’t need the FX Wildcat but I am not happy with the Avenger not that its a bad gun it is just to bulky for my needs. I guess there are a lot of options to choose from and FX is not the only high quality compact guns out there.

Ask yourself these questions: 

Do I want this because of all the hype about the mk3? 

Or

Do I want this because I would really enjoy a higher quality airgun? 

I think many airgunners, new guys and veterans, are susceptible to wanting a new gun because of all the hype about it. Then when they get the gun realize they didn’t really want it and sell it on the classifieds. On the other hand you might really enjoy shooting a higher end airgun.

If I were you I would buy it to try out. If you don’t like it you would only lose a couple hundred when you sell it. Consider it an expensive lesson to learn what kind of airguns suit you. Or you might find you love it

I have an Airmaks Katran Compact (bottle) in .22 that's tiny, light, and pops squirrels like....man it hits hard, and is accurate. It's loud though and needs a big can to be quiet. About $1200 and so far none of the tuning FX owners are famous for doing. It is SO much fun...and it comes in .25 also. I cannot adequately tell you how much fun it is.

There's nothing wrong with FX, in fact they're fantastic guns and a MK3 was the next on my list until I won the Katran in an AGN contest. There are some things FX does better, and some things the Katran does better, but if you haven't looked at a Katran Compact you might want to and see if it fits the bill.

Ask yourself these questions: 

Do I want this because of all the hype about the mk3? 

Or

Do I want this because I would really enjoy a higher quality airgun? 

I think many airgunners, new guys and veterans, are susceptible to wanting a new gun because of all the hype about it. Then when they get the gun realize they didn’t really want it and sell it on the classifieds. On the other hand you might really enjoy shooting a higher end airgun.

If I were you I would buy it to try out. If you don’t like it you would only lose a couple hundred when you sell it. Consider it an expensive lesson to learn what kind of airguns suit you. Or you might find you love it

Yes this is what happened to me when I bought my $450 Avenger in wood. I saw all the videos on how great it was and I had to have it, but didn’t realize how huge it was and when I got it I quickly realized I hated it not because it was a bad shooter it is very accurate but just to bulky for my needs as a run through the house and shoot out the window gun. I feel the FX is a high quality gun over triple the price but would definitely suite my needs.

I have an Airmaks Katran Compact (bottle) in .22 that's tiny, light, and pops squirrels like....man it hits hard, and is accurate. It's loud though and needs a big can to be quiet. About $1200 and so far none of the tuning FX owners are famous for doing. It is SO much fun...and it comes in .25 also. I cannot adequately tell you how much fun it is.

There's nothing wrong with FX, in fact they're fantastic guns and a MK3 was the next on my list until I won the Katran in an AGN contest. There are some things FX does better, and some things the Katran does better, but if you haven't looked at a Katran Compact you might want to and see if it fits the bill.

I will check them out but I need an ultra quiet gun due to the neighborhood