Do I need 2 air tanks?

I've recently learned that having 2 air tanks is better than having only one but not why I thought it would be.
I bought a 100cf scuba tank so I could shoot tethered and for tuning. With this I wouldn't have to use 300 bar tank except for hunting and when I was away for a few days.
I read an article which mentioned cascading your air tanks. I had never thought of this. This is when you use your lower pressure tank to top off your on gun reservoir and then use your higher pressure tank to finish filling to your desired max fill. This allows you're 300 bar tank to last much longer between refills and for those of us who don't have a compressor, this is a God send!

It does extend the time between fills. Not by a GREAT margin but you can drain the lower fill tank to nearly nothing.
Once you hit the mark on the higher fill tank? Then both need topped off.
One has to figure in the time, cost, and distance to travel, to fill the tanks.
Then decide if it's cost effective.
Most figure out pretty quick a Compressor is cheaper and easier!

It does extend the time between fills. Not by a GREAT margin but you can drain the lower fill tank to nearly nothing.
Once you hit the mark on the higher fill tank? Then both need topped off.
One has to figure in the time, cost, and distance to travel, to fill the tanks.
Then decide if it's cost effective.
Most figure out pretty quick a Compressor is cheaper and easier!
Agreed! When I have saved enough to buy that compressor I surely will.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I can see having two tanks so you do not have to go to fill as often , but what you are saying is ? use the smaller tank to partial fill and then top off with the larger tank ? , seems to me a waste of time, you still have to fill both tanks sooner or later . Maybe im missing something ?
Actually my lower psi tank is 100 cf where my higher psi tank is only 74 cf.
You're correct, you do have to fill sooner or later but for me it's an hour drive each way to get the 300 bar fill so this technique saves me at least one trip a month.
I need a compressor!

Reactions: beerthief
It probably has some merit. Another option might also be to get a big tank as you can, as a firestation probably does not charge much more for a big tank. But there probably is a limit on how big and heavy a tank is practical, to take with you. If you take one of the tanks with you while shooting, maybe keep the big one home, and the small one in you car?

I just picked up (purchased) two, 500 cubic foot tanks yesterday from our local scuba shop. They are 4,500 psi tanks. Just recently hydro tested so they are good for 10 years now. I have three additional carbon fiber tanks from AirTanksforsale.com I toss the "Guppy" in my small backpack for day adventures, use my Great Whites for filling the gun (s). I will use these 500 cubic footers to re-fill all three. It was either this or step up and buy a compressor, an Alkin (compressor) unit is in my future at some point.

Tim

Reactions: kd7rsrrze1
I have 3 bottles that I use together, cascading 2 at a time. When I can no longer fill to 250 or so bar, I refill all three in about a half hour total. I would rather run the compressor once for a half hour, than 3 times for 7 minutes. I use my 60 minute bottle as my main tank, with a Stickman fill set, and one of my 45 minute bottles connected through the fill set, so I use the Stickman gauge for everything.

What you do not need is a 4500 PSI tank. They are nice, but multiple tanks are much better at a lower pressure. In any case HPA is expensive any way you do it. CF tanks for carrying around, all other tanks for static use. I use 3, 12 liter tanks. one CF and two Aluminum ones for static use. In all cases, I only use 3600 PSI max.
My 700cc bottle is a 300 bar fill.

What you do not need is a 4500 PSI tank. They are nice, but multiple tanks are much better at a lower pressure. In any case HPA is expensive any way you do it. CF tanks for carrying around, all other tanks for static use. I use 3, 12 liter tanks. one CF and two Aluminum ones for static use. In all cases, I only use 3600 PSI max.
And then you have a pcp with 250bar fill pressure. Nice to have a 300bar tank, also more filling capable

No
IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

I have 2 Great White 97cu.ft. tanks with a cascade setup from Joe B. The highest I fill to is 250-270 BAR on my 300 BAR guns. Granted that I don't shoot a lot but it does save on how often I take them to the dive shop to get them filled. I have a couple dive shops near me (5 and 10 minutes away) that only charge $3.50 a fill. I wouldn't mind picking up an Alkin compressor but I can't really justify it right now.

I've recently learned that having 2 air tanks is better than having only one but not why I thought it would be.
I bought a 100cf scuba tank so I could shoot tethered and for tuning. With this I wouldn't have to use 300 bar tank except for hunting and when I was away for a few days.
I read an article which mentioned cascading your air tanks. I had never thought of this. This is when you use your lower pressure tank to top off your on gun reservoir and then use your higher pressure tank to finish filling to your desired max fill. This allows you're 300 bar tank to last much longer between refills and for those of us who don't have a compressor, this is a God send!
I think it all depends if you have air hogs/ 35 cal big bores and up. I have a AEA big bore 357 that uses a lot of air. I only fill it to 3800 and it has a 500cc tank , once it hits below 3800 psi that's it,, i can't fill that pcp to 3800 from my 4500 psi tank but, with the same tank 4500 psi i have my 257 i can shoot all day long. It can't hurt to have two tanks. i would like to have 2 tanks.As of now i have one 9 liter.