• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do aesthetics affect your buying?

To qualify, do you buy purely for form and practicality be damned? Or are your gun buys purely a matter of function and who cares if it looks like a hot mess? I assume most of us somewhere in between.

I ask specifically because I have been flirting with an AirForce Talon/Escape for awhile. It checks numerous boxes for me. Light, simple, inexpensive, POWERFUL! It should be a no brainer. I just simply can’t get over the “frumpy” looks. It doesn’t look bad by any means but as they say eye of the beholder and all. I just can’t seem to convince myself into it and it boils down to not looking attractive to me.

So convince me I am crazy, or do you all have the same hangups?

Reactions: AirgunAmateur
You're not crazy - it can be the greatest rifle in the world but I can't bare looking at it, I won't buy/own it. The Taipan Mutant & Veteran are excellent examples to illustrate this...I heard nothing but great things about both rifles but could not get myself to buy one for years because they're boring and borderline ugly to me. A couple of years ago, I'd run out of things to try and allowed myself to pick up some Veterans once they released some laminate stock options. They turned out to be great guns but they'd didn't excite me when I looked at them or while holding them so I got rid of them after only a few weeks of ownership.

I try to find the best overall balance between form, function and aesthetics; the rifles that get the highest marks in ALL those areas are the ones I hang onto longer. A rifle can look amazing but if it doesn't fit me comfortably or shoot well isn't a keeper either.

For me it depends. If it’s so accurate, so reliable, so repeatable, and so dependable I will overlook aesthetics. Case in point: Taipan Veteran.

That being said, I tend to put aesthetics high on the list and will often pimp up my guns to look better.

Here’s an example. The Daystate huntsman line are very nice, accurate guns. By all accounts, everyone will tell you that they are one of the nicest looking ones too. However, I HATE that air tube going all the way out there. I much prefer the looks of the same gun, in Sub 12. It has a smaller air tube, in my case Shot Count be Damned. Of course, the Sub 12 gives plenty of shots, but I would prefer a smaller tube on a full power model.

Case in point....I stated in another thread that "I wished I hadn't bought the Bobcat cause it was ugly"...and it is, lol, the other 3 are attractive to me although the bottle on the Wolverine is ugly to me but the rest of the gun makes up for it. The Veteran with a laminate stock is a "beauty queen" compared to the Bobcat!
20221130_114259.jpg
20221122_165100.jpg

Just so I don't hurt my Bobcats feelings...the top group was 5 shots off my knee at 30 yards with it...been doing that for over 4 years!!! The group under it was with the Huntsman .20 benched. Rather the Bobcat was a Royale walnut.

Case in point....I stated in another thread that "I wished I hadn't bought the Bobcat cause it was ugly"...and it is, lol, the other 3 are attractive to me although the bottle on the Wolverine is ugly to me but the rest of the gun makes up for it. The Veteran with a laminate stock is a "beauty queen" compared to the Bobcat!View attachment 311186View attachment 311187
Just so I don't hurt my Bobcats feelings...the top group was 5 shots off my knee at 30 yards with it...been doing that for over 4 years!!! The group under it was with the Huntsman .20 benched. Rather the Bobcat was a Royale walnut.
Acquiring a Bobcat .22 this year has taught me to ignore my aesthetic leanings & prioritize functionality. Aesthetically ugly gun, absolutely BEAUTIFUL in its reliability & accuracy! It's looking better to me all the time, like "beer goggles".

You're not crazy - it can be the greatest rifle in the world but I can't bare looking at it, I won't buy/own it. The Taipan Mutant & Veteran are excellent examples to illustrate this...I heard nothing but great things about both rifles but could not get myself to buy one for years because they're boring and borderline ugly to me. A couple of years ago, I'd run out of things to try and allowed myself to pick up some Veterans once they released some laminate stock options. They turned out to be great guns but they'd didn't excite me when I looked at them or while holding them so I got rid of them after only a few weeks of ownership.

I try to find the best overall balance between form, function and aesthetics; the rifles that get the highest marks in ALL those areas are the ones I hang onto longer. A rifle can look amazing but if it doesn't fit me comfortably or shoot well isn't a keeper either.
Same here, everyone says the Taipan Veteran is a great gun. I would like to have one but just can't get past the looks. On the other hand I think the Leshiy 2 is way too expensive but will probably get one just because it's so cool.

Case in point....I stated in another thread that "I wished I hadn't bought the Bobcat cause it was ugly"...and it is, lol, the other 3 are attractive to me although the bottle on the Wolverine is ugly to me but the rest of the gun makes up for it. The Veteran with a laminate stock is a "beauty queen" compared to the Bobcat!View attachment 311186View attachment 311187
That huntsman is beautiful!

Reactions: abslayer and Bam86
After reading the posts, a lot of people didn't just answer the OP's question, but went on to elaborate WHICH LOOK they can't stand — or WHICH LOOK they absolutely require.

And their loves and hates match what I've been reading on the forums for years:

➔ It seems like the DEEPEST RIFT between airgunners when it comes to looks is between:
● Traditional shape (long gun), nostalgic wooden furniture
● Functional shape (bullpup), durable synthetic

Both factions defend their preference almost militantly. 🤮

Been there. Done that. Trying to reign myself in now.... 😉 Our airguniverse is large enough to live peacefully together with each other.

Matthias

Reactions: OOgsAggie