• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DIY Thermal Targets for Thermal Riflescopes Discussion Thread w/Video

I came across this video and found it extremely informative concering making your own targets to sight in or shoot paper using a thermal riflescope. This method appears to works well under sunny conditions. The presenter discusses reflecting heat, contrast, and thermal loading among other things.

I've seen ice or frozen water bottles used as targets. I've also seen @davidsng use heated apples and maybe potatoes as targets. I've seen folks use hand warmers. But let's think of affordable methods considering that store bought thermal targets are expensive versus what you would spend to make your own targets. The most interesting thing I think I've seen was a man that attached a heating pad to the back of a steel plate for long-range shooting. What DIY ideas have you discovered or used as a target for sighting in a thermal scope or for target practice?

I simply place a very large nail into cardboard and leave it sticking out 2”.

I heat the nail head with a torch for a few seconds, aiming the flame away from the cardboard.

The heat signature from the nail head can be picked up by the thermal for ~ 5 minutes which is definitely long enough to sight in a thermal. Much easier than thermal targets, etc.

Within a few shots, the thermal is zeroed and the nail driven into the tree by the last shot.