DIY Speed Rack Design

Hello once again, Shooters!

One thing that I really wanted to have was a pair of speed racks so that I could practice with my son, so this weekend I finally put all of the pieces together to make this.

First off, I bought all of the wood from the scrap bins at my local lumbar yard, so they are in 4 foot lengths. I paid $2 each for a 4' piece, so this is $6 in treated wood for each one. Here is the list of materials:
Total Cost = $57.20 (each) not counting the hooks, deck screws, or spray paint

I started by marking the 2x4s along the short side at 21" and at 27" on the opposite side and drew a line across the two.
SpeedRackLegsMarked_Clean_CutMarked.jpg

I used a miter saw to nip the tip of the boards at 15 degrees for the cant of the legs
I cut the boards widthwise to make two legs
Cut the other 2x4 the same way
Screw to the 2x6 on the end using the 2" screws on top, and the 2 1/2" screws on the bottom
SpeedRack_CompleteFromSide.jpg

I used a reciprocating saw to trim the little 1/2" overhang on the top to neaten up the assembly
20220905_145438.jpg

Install hooks on the bottom of the 2x6 spaced to accommodate the size of your targets like shown:
20220905_145252.jpg

I painted one side Orange and the other side Green, and loaded the racks up.
20220905_153349.jpg

I placed these at 25 yards, like the "Let's meet in the middle" speed challenge at RMAC this year. Now I am ready to challenge my son (Bwah, ha, ha, ha😉)

This is a simple little project, but it turned out nice. I hope that you all enjoy.

Jonathan

Nice work, building your own targets is always rewarding.
Thanks!

I learned something that I am sure that a lot of shooters on here know. Keep the open-end of the hook that holds the steel facing toward the shooter. I ran through the rack really quick tonight with my gun sighted in at 50 yards, and the rack at 25 yards, so I was holding under quite a bit. I blew the last three off the rack when I hit them, since I was hitting so low on the teardrop.

I'll post a picture soon, after the sun comes up.

Reactions: Revin
I will have to hit the dollar store for the chalk, but I'll post those pictures when I "Git-r-done"

For now, here is what I am talking about with the orientation of the hook. This is facing the shooter:

This is the wrong orientation because movement of the target will cause it to slip off the hook.
WrongOrientation.jpg

Here is the correct orientation, so that when the target flips back, it will be trapped by the hook.
CorrectOrientation.jpg

I also realized that I didn't have it "meeting in the middle", so I flipped the rack on the right.
20220906_134456.jpg

I'm definitely happy with how this turned out. Again, I'll post the addition of the chalk when I get it done.

Cheers!

Jonathan

Reactions: Centercut
I finally took @rikkochet suggestion and installed chalk on top of my speed racks. The chalk was just barely smaller than 3/8", so I was able to use that size hole and have them held pretty tight. Here is a video of 14 of them going bye-bye. I had one nick, and one complete miss on my last one, but that's how it is. I was shooting this at 25 yards in about 5MPH sustained winds and gusting at around 15MPH...so, yea...it was a gust. :rolleyes: Anyway, here is a video of the chalk making a mess all over my range.

I know some guys use pool cue chalk too.
Do they hot-glue those down, or what?

I would imagine that left a mess 😲
I agree. I need to figure out how to blow up something that is magnetic...and thereby easier to clean up. Between my TDD list and the chalk, I have been cleaning the ground a lot at 25 yards.

One other thing that I noticed is that the wind switched from the right to from the left about half way through. The dust cloud starts by going to the left, and then after the 8th piece of chalk, the wind is now blowing the dust cloud to the right. I plan to make wind flags soon, so I will be able to watch this phenomenon in real time.

Anyway, happy shooting!

Do they hot-glue those down, or what?
To my knowledge they just set them on their target frame. But since you mentioned it, four of the sides are wrapped in paper so hot glueing them to the a 2x4 would work good so that maybe an exploding one wouldn’t knock an adjacent one off the 2x4.
They buy them a hundred or so at a time.