• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

DIY Gopro Side Shot

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Just wondering if anyone has done the same DIY with their own Gopro 7 or even 3 & 4 with the Side Shot mount.

I was having a few issues before and finally succeeded, I think. However, I would like to hear others input and experience with such MOD.

One thing I found is that the new lens would not stay put at the location where I got best picture/clarity. the lens would rotate in or out during usage or transport.

I marked lines on the lens and the side of the camera so that it would line up everytime I insert the camera into the mount. But many times I found the lens would moved.

Therefore, I would get out of focus randomly. I guess I would need to secure it somehow so it wouldn't rotate by itself.

looking for some advice.

thanks.

Alex

Hi!

Which gopro and lens are you using?

The best aftermarket lens I can find for a 7 (which isn't Backbone modified) is an 8.25mm at the moment. I asked Massoud from eagle vision and they are in the process of making their own 14mm replacement lens, but that'll take 6months or so.

So I've been holding out on buying anything for the time being. Not surprised you've had trouble with shifting focus considering how you have to leave is semi-unscrewed to get the right focus - maybe a small piece of some sort of tape on the threads could work?

In order to keep the lens fixed you can use a series of orings or cut a piece of the proper sized rubber tubing. Lastly, if you bought/buy your lens from Peau productions, their replacement lens for the 2,3 or 4 typically ships with a rubber dust spacer which adds friction to keep the lens where it belongs.

1556713944_18577990965cc991d8f26c07.12829542_dust_ring_a[1].JPG

https://www.peauproductions.com/products/lens-dust-ring-dr_a

I briefly held, not even mounted, a GoPro 7 Black to my DIY phone mount and recorded some footage in 4k. I then imported it to Davinci Resolve (Video editing software) and zoomed in. The footage looked good enough for me. Especially considering that I did not even mount the GP... I am going to 3D print something in the next few weeks and see how that goes. In other words, do you even have to change the lens???

Speaking of changing the lens... Something that I have thought about doing for a while now, but never got a chance to do it, is to go to an Optometrist and ask him if he can make me a "lens", more like a magnifying glass, that you can simply put between the GoPro and the mount. That piece of glass should be able to bring the image a little bit closer and thus eliminating maybe zooming in , in post production. Yes, another piece of glass will reduce overall quality, but I think it will not be too bad...

Thanks,

Kmd.