Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States
IMG_9608.jpeg

Cold Trace Compound

Ive been thinking along these lines.
What ended up with though get expensive for what it is.

So i want to get a airsoft " tracer unit " like they use to light up their plastic balls, and then convert it to UV
But the end price are heavy, so another way would probably just be to mount a UV flash light on the rifle to " light " up the back of the pellet as it leave the barrel.
Just not sure it can do that fast enough, so i also been around a UV laser.
But that also get expensive pretty fast, or at least more than i am willing to spend on something i am not going to use very often as i dont do ratting.

The "lume" on my cheap watch, its like OMG VS what i remember from watches from my youth, even after spending hours in my bed trying to sleep, and my watch seeing 0 light, i can still read the time very easy off the watch, if i hold a flashlight to the watch it just light up and you can almost use it as a diffuse light for a little while.

Well, don't get your hopes up. I bought a set, 'cause that's what I do!

Anyways, filled about 20 JSB .22MRD's, put them under the blacklight and got them to glow real good.

Tried them out my office window from a Wolverine HP. Could not follow them any better than a standard pellet. They did make a bigger mark on the target due to the sludge splatter. Maybe they would work better in a slower gun. I don't know.

Here's a pic of a them under the blacklight in a tray I built.
GlowPellets2.jpg

Edit. I requested a return from Edgun but was denied as they do not accept returns on opened bottles. How would I know if it worked unless I opened them? Not impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
Well, don't get your hopes up. I bought a set, 'cause that's what I do!

Anyways, filled about 20 JSB .22MRD's, put them under the blacklight and got them to glow real good.

Tried them out my office window from a Wolverine HP. Could not follow them any better than a standard pellet. They did make a bigger mark on the target due to the sludge splatter. Maybe they would work better in a slower gun. I don't know.

Here's a pic of a them under the blacklight in a tray I built.
View attachment 400622

Edit. I requested a return from Edgun but was denied as they do not accept returns on opened bottles. How would I know if it worked unless I opened them? Not impressed.

Darn too bad!

Try them when the moon isn't shining bright and let us know.

There's been UV activated paint around for years. I bought this off Amazon a couple years ago and it does exactly the same thing, much cheaper. I've painted 25 & 18 gr. pellets and shot them, in the dark. If you activate them and shoot them, THEN, they work so so. But noting close to a tracer. If you wait, the activation wears off and you won't see squat.
Green Glow In The Dark Paint -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QVC0W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Update. This time I mixed the two solutions together and then filled the pellet. Initial shots in the dark. Nothing. Then i turned on a Surefire light on the front of my gun and then I could see the glow pellet. Maybe a little better than just a standard pellet. Kind of a novelty, but it wore off quick. Does not make much sense to have to have the light on all the way to the target to see the glow, but apparently that is how it works.

OK, but not worth the money.

There's been UV activated paint around for years. I bought this off Amazon a couple years ago and it does exactly the same thing, much cheaper. I've painted 25 & 18 gr. pellets and shot them, in the dark. If you activate them and shoot them, THEN, they work so so. But noting close to a tracer. If you wait, the activation wears off and you won't see squat.
Green Glow In The Dark Paint -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QVC0W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Good information thanks for posting the link

My reason for thinking along these lines was also purely for a photo opportunity, i cant see how i should get much benefit from it, even if i was to pest rats now and then.
Hence why i am not big on dropping a lot of buck on something like this.

I might still try it the old school way, with just painting some pellets, insert them in a magazine, and then light them up with my 1200 lumen EDC light that for damn sure set the lumen on my watch alive.

Reactions: .20calguy
well if you just " pour " it in, or dab it with a soaked paint brush, then only gravity will have a effect on distribution of the paint / weight.
If you spray it on, well chance are you will also get a even coat.

Either way even if you filled the cavity in the skirt of a pellet, i dont think it would amount to very many % increase in weight, so in that regard you are probably safe.

Paint when you apply it, it do have some heft to it, but this is due to the fluids in it, what remain is what we painters call the dry stuff / content ( well i dont know the English word for it )

It is for instance what you will need to know, if you are to make a estimate on howe much paint you will need to cover a given area, well that dry stuff value and of course the total layers / thickness of the finished product.
In industrial painting you often have 3 coats. Primer - middle coat, and top coat, each when sprays on and wet might be 250 microns thick, but once dry you are left with 90 microns or something.

Of course spraying, you might have to do the same paint several times to get the agreed upon layer thickness, you cant slap on really thin primer and middle coat and then go to town with the top coat, each layer will be inspected measured and what not,,,,,, it is literally a small science to be a painter.

You can measure the wet paint with a wet paint gauge, but it is destructive act as you press it onto the wet paint, so need to be touched up, once cured you can measure the layer thickness in a few ways but most used is a paint dept gauge, and you most often do it as a average of XX measurements ( there is standards for this too )

So initial your pellet might gain a little weight, but once the paint dry you have less weight left.