DIY battery powered compressor.

So this was a bit of a longer topic on another forum, thought it would be good to post here as well. After a bunch of back and forth discussion and ideas, it was decided that a voltage converter was the best way to go to get my Benjamin Traveler compressor running on batteries. Like many others it has a 12 volt connection for car use. So I gathered parts:

IMG_20220209_195916.1651113061.jpg

40 amp 24 volt to 12 volt buck converter, a Y cable in parallel, two battery adapters for my Ryobi 18v system, and a bag full of XT60 connectors. Put it all together and tested.

IMG_20220209_211653 1.1651112353.jpg

I've now used it two or three times during testing. 5 minutes on AC to fill my Pitbull long tube regulated from 3000 to 4500 psi. 7-8 minutes to do the same on battery. On the last fill, about mid way I measured 12.03 volts on the output and 19 volts at the Y adapter, so no sag when the compressor is working hard.

Still need to mount everything to make it easier to handle, but now I have air at the range where there isn't any power. Still need to figure out maximum number of fills per pair of 9ah batteries. Only make this if you have 8ah or larger batteries, I do not suggest running this on 4 or 5 amp hour packs.

Things to change in the future:

Find a 24 volt to 13.8 volt converter, or better yet find a switching regulator in that voltage and amperage range.

Maybe use a smaller converter to power the electronics, and feed battery voltage to the compressor motor like the GX compressors.

Increasing voltage would produce shorter pump times and possibly waste less battery on the conversion.

That's a pretty cool idea. I was just thinking of doing something like this using my Omega Trail Charger and LiPo batteries used in RC (which I would not recommend unless you are familiar with LiPos). I will send you a little present (in line current meter--I have a bunch) since it looks like you know how to solder. Will help you measure power/energy. 

Ran this for one charge of 3000 to 4500psi for my 660cc Pitbull tube, and twice on the Umarex Hammer (3000 to 4500 and 2500 to 4500). It was about an hour and 15 minutes solid running, when the compressor shut off I let the fans keep going to cool everything. That kept it to 15 minutes on, and at least 15 cooling (50% duty cycle). Not bad for a pair of batteries. 10 shots for the Hammer and 20 on the Pitbull, scope on the Pitbull is messed up and had to get back home.