• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DIY AirForce Bolt Block

I call this little safety device the "Bolt Block." That's the best name that I can think of.

The motivation for this idea was because there isn't anyway to de-cock the AirForce Condor and Talon line of airguns. Once it's loaded it has to be kept loaded with the safety engaged until ready to fire.

So if you are done hunting but haven't fired the last shot, the pellet hast to either remain chambered with the safety engaged or fired out of the gun.

Call me a cheapskate if you wish but I don't feel like firing expensive pellets or slugs into the ground. However the price to pay for a spent pellet is cheap compared to a mishap with a loaded airgun even if the safety remains engaged.

So I made up a little device with a few everyday items to add an extra level of safety for a loaded AirForce airgun. As it will be obvious, this device will not work for the Texan line of air rifles.

Here's a few of photos of the final product in various stages of manufacture. As you can see, a short section of 3/4" PVC pipe has been cut to length to fit between the bolt and the collar that holds the air bottle in place.

Nothing, I repeat - NOTHING, is resting on the top hat. The PVC pipe prevents the bolt from coming into contact with the top hat. The elastic cord pulls the bolt against the PVC pipe and the other end is looped around the fill valve.

AF Bolt Block 1.jpg

AF Bolt Block 2.jpg

The first step is to cut a section of PVC pipe that will fit in between the bolt and the collar for the air bottle. It has to slide in between the top hat and the bolt. You can cut it a little longer which requires starting the pipe in between the gap at an angle.

AF Bolt Block 3.jpg

This might be all that's needed for this device but it's too easy for the pipe to fall out of the space between the bolt and the collar. So something must be made which pulls the bolt back and exerts pressure on the PVC pipe to keep it from falling out of place.

That's where the elastic cord comes in. If I have to tell you how to measure, cut and tie the elastic cord then you should not be around any air guns in the first place.

However, I would recommend using a flag affixed to the elastic cord. As you can see, I used some orange nylon strap for the flag. I folded the end over as seen in the photo then used a soldering iron to poke a hole in the nylon material to keep it from fraying. Then I inserted the elastic cord through the hole and tied a knot.

You can choose whatever material and method for your own flag. However, I would recommend the use of a flag as a mandatory item.

AF Bolt Block 4.jpg

AF Bolt Block 5.jpg

AF Bolt Block 6.jpg

AF Bolt Block 7.jpg

AF Bolt Block 8.jpg

A few comments are in order on how to insert the bolt block and the elastic cord. First you will have to slip the elastic cord over the bolt knob while it's pulled back against the the top hat and off to the side in the cocking notch.

If you try to slip the cord over the bolt knob while it's pushed forward you cannot get it to go between the knob and the frame.

After slipping the cord over the bolt knob, push it forward and slide the PVC pipe between the bolt and the collar. Then pull the bolt back while holding the PVC pipe in place.

The last step is to slip the other end of the elastic cord over the fill valve.

As you can see and will discover, the looped elastic cord will slide under the bolt knob in the gap between it and the bolt.

So when removing the bolt block and the elastic cord you will have to fiddle with it a little to remove it. In other words, you will need to pull the bolt back with the knob off to the side to remove the elastic cord. It's not difficult as long as you ensure that the safety is engage and the airgun pointed in a safe direction.

When installing and removing the bolt block, I would recommend laying the gun down on a stable surface and pointed in a safe direction. Sometimes, it's just as easy to do these operations while sitting with the rifle on my knees and pointed in a safe direction.

Someone might suggest finding a way to attach the elastic cord to the PVC pipe. I considered that but decided against it as things might get tangled up. There is always a possibility of the elastic cord causing the PVC pipe to move to the side too much while holding the bolt back against it.

The advantage to this device would be for people that have pests to eliminate at odd hours. For example, your motion detector alerts you at 1:00 AM that rats are at the bait station. You may or may not want to be fiddling around with getting this darn thing off the rifle in the dark when you can simply slip off the safety.

I agree. However, during the day, you would have the rifle in a safe place where children don't have access to it. In which case, you would have it unloaded or under lock and key to begin with.

If you were going to have the air gun under lock and key, then I would recommend using the bolt block, saving you from expending a pellet into the dirt. When you are ready for bed, you could set your rifle where it's usually stored until the 1:00 AM detection alarm goes off. Prior to this you can remove the bolt block with the rifle in place and safety engaged. Or you could leave it in place. That's up to you.

Each person's process and method of air gun storage is different. I'm not asking everyone to change anything unless it's good for you. This is one option for my needs, storage methods and style of hunting.

If you are happy with shooting a pellet into the dirt after hunting, that's up to you. You don't need to waste time making the bolt block.

The other nice thing about the bolt block and flag is for the shooting ranges that require a safety flag in place prior to any shooters going down range to check their targets. Some ROs are completely unfamiliar with those "BB guns" and insist on a flag no matter what. No amount of explaining will change their minds.

The bolt block and safety flag, keep the ROs that won't listen to you happy. Obviously, the rifle will be unload before going down range, regardless of the flag rules. The block and flag are an extra measure of safety to keep everyone comfortable.

I'm open to suggestions but hope this fills a need for some of the folks on this forum.

You can't decock the bolt? Push the bolt forward as if to cock the rifle. Disengage the safety. WHILE MAINTAINING YOU GRIP ON THE BOLT, release the spring tension on the boltby pulling the trigger and gently allowing bolt to return.

That said you device is a good idea.

I tried that, as you suggested. However, I am not able to do it. Maybe I'm missing something but the safety cannot be disengaged with the bolt forward on my AirForce guns.