DIY .25 caliber slug casting mold?

Before jumping into casting for a gun it is good to slug your bore so you know the exact size which is then used in choosing the correct mold. It also matters whether the gun is choked or not. The lead alloy you use also has an impact on the final bullet size after it is cast. Sizing of your cast bullets might also be necessary!

Reactions: Conner holifield
Yeah, with slugs, you need to know what size the barrel is. I've been told by Lani52 that.0005 larger than the groove diameter is the way to go. If you get lucky and the slugs drop with that size you can probably shoot them but if not you will have to size them. What rifle are you looking to shoot slugs out of? Sizing will make them more consistent and more accurate.

Reactions: Conner holifield
The downside of the NOE molds is they always (and I mean ALWAYS) say "Out of Stock"! I've checked their site 50 times over the past 3 years, and EVERY SINGLE TIME the slugs molds I look at say "Out of Stock." 

There's Arsenal Molds also, but their molds in .25 aren't that impressive to me. Then there's the .25 mold from MP Molds. That is a beast, but you need to shoot it FAST to get it to perform well. At least 875+ fps. And since the slug weighs in at 47gr, if your gun can't make at least 80fpe, you'll never get it to perform well. 

But let me give you some advice on casting your own slugs at home. Just because your gun is a .25, and the slug you're casting is .25, doesn't mean it's going to perform well. It's a long and grueling task trying to find the slug your barrel likes. You can buy a .25 slug in .250 diameter with a weight of 36gr in a cup base. And it may shoot well. Then you buy an identical diameter and weight slug in flat base, and it will be all over the place. Barrels are very finnicky. I speak from experience. I've pushed at least 75 different diameter and weighted slugs through my .25 barrel until I found the slug it likes. Once you find the slug, don't change it. But it's a shame if you invest in a mold, lead pot, etc.... to cast your own slugs, and your barrel and gun didn't like them. You just wasted a bunch of money. 

If you want to try the slugs from MP Molds, Dale at Varmint Knockers sells them. If they shoot well from your rifle, then commit to the mold. If not, you're only out $20. His slugs are purchased via eBay. 25 CAL CAST PELLETS 47 GRAIN 100 COUNT FROM VARMINTKNOCKERS | eBay

You can also hit up jwrabbit123. He seems to be the MASTER of casting slugs for air rifles. I think he owns just about every mold out there in .22 and .25. 

Hope it all works out for you. 

The downside of the NOE molds is they always (and I mean ALWAYS) say "Out of Stock"! I've checked their site 50 times over the past 3 years, and EVERY SINGLE TIME the slugs molds I look at say "Out of Stock."

There's Arsenal Molds also, but their molds in .25 aren't that impressive to me. Then there's the .25 mold from MP Molds. That is a beast, but you need to shoot it FAST to get it to perform well. At least 875+ fps. And since the slug weighs in at 47gr, if your gun can't make at least 80fpe, you'll never get it to perform well.

But let me give you some advice on casting your own slugs at home. Just because your gun is a .25, and the slug you're casting is .25, doesn't mean it's going to perform well. It's a long and grueling task trying to find the slug your barrel likes. You can buy a .25 slug in .250 diameter with a weight of 36gr in a cup base. And it may shoot well. Then you buy an identical diameter and weight slug in flat base, and it will be all over the place. Barrels are very finnicky. I speak from experience. I've pushed at least 75 different diameter and weighted slugs through my .25 barrel until I found the slug it likes. Once you find the slug, don't change it. But it's a shame if you invest in a mold, lead pot, etc.... to cast your own slugs, and your barrel and gun didn't like them. You just wasted a bunch of money.

If you want to try the slugs from MP Molds, Dale at Varmint Knockers sells them. If they shoot well from your rifle, then commit to the mold. If not, you're only out $20. His slugs are purchased via eBay. 25 CAL CAST PELLETS 47 GRAIN 100 COUNT FROM VARMINTKNOCKERS | eBay

You can also hit up jwrabbit123. He seems to be the MASTER of casting slugs for air rifles. I think he owns just about every mold out there in .22 and .25.

Hope it all works out for you.
If the mold doesn't work out you can always sell it. I bought the mp slugs from VK and shot them in my Sumatra and they worked great. No idea if they would work in the avenger. As I posted above, you need to know your groove diameter to size your cast slugs to fit. If not you're just a blind man looking for the light switch.🤔