• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dismantling the Vulcan/Uragan moderator?

Has anyone managed to dismantle an AGT moderator? The one on my Uragan Compact has plenty of volume but is inefficient on .177 as it's .30. So I'd like to get in there and add some 6mm I/D baffles plus hair rollers and felt in-between in a similar pattern to Weihrauch's moderator. Yes, I could (and have) take the easy route and add a DonnyFL moderator but get irritated by knowing I can greatly improve the original for very little outlay. I started fiddling with moderators when I got my Theoben MFR fifteen years ago and found the shroud was poorly set up and now tend to modify almost any moderator that comes into my possession......

Odd.

My uragan's silencer was very easy to dismantle. I just spaced two pins in my vice, so that they fit into the indentations in the end cap. Lefty loosey and it opened up easily.

Might be that they superglue or epoxy the US ones shut?

I just 3d printed a couple of different baffle setups yesterday. Testing today. If the difference isn't acceptable I'll go the lazy route and pick up a Huma Mod40 or Donnyfl Ronin.

I'd try that if I had a vice and suitable pins.....

If your Uragan is running at 12ftlb or below you might find the DonnyFL Tatsu is enough. In the UK we also have the option of Air-Fective's dedicated offering for the Uragan which is the same length and diameter as the Tatsu but much lighter as it's CF. It's also one third the cost and made to order in your choice of .177, .22, .25 or .30. I don't have personal experience (yet!) but his other moderators have a good reputation.

I'd try that if I had a vice and suitable pins.....

If your Uragan is running at 12ftlb or below you might find the DonnyFL Tatsu is enough. In the UK we also have the option of Air-Fective's dedicated offering for the Uragan which is the same length and diameter as the Tatsu but much lighter as it's CF. It's also one third the cost and made to order in your choice of .177, .22, .25 or .30. I don't have personal experience (yet!) but his other moderators have a good reputation.

Yah it could get pretty difficult without a vice.

I just used Allan keys as 'pins'.

I'm actually in South Africa so despite being stuck with 0.22 and under we don't have power limitations. Mine is running at about 35fpe. 

Pretty much all of the different baffle configurations I tried in that OEM uragan silencer were disappointing so I ended up getting the huma mod40. Tested the sumo and shogun as well - roughly similar noise reduction but higher pitched which I don't like. For that reason (pitch) the koi is my favourite Donnyfl. I'd put one of those on the uragan if it wasn't skinnier than the shroud. Anyway all were significantly better than the OEM silencer and well worth the upgrade, especially with my one neighbour!