• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Discovery VT-T Modified Scope Phone Mount Otterbox

A lot of you guys know about the pretty sweet scope cam mount that comes with the Discovery VT-T range from the recent reviews by some of our good friends. Well in digging around researching more about these scopes before I bought one I found these premade phone case type holders for individual phone models that then mount to the tube that mounts to the scope but not for anything newer than like a Note 5 and I currently have a Note 9. Well got the scope today and although it is a huge value to start with the glass and total optic quality as a whole plus the phone mount I would never complain but the adjustable phone holder piece was kind of pain in then butt to get my Note to sit correctly and it made me mad cause this phone can record at 720p super slow motion 960fps. It looks absolutely amazing making videos at that frame rate I think I can get it to do it in 4K as well but not quite at 960fps. Anyway I had an idea from seeing those mounts made for the individual phones and grabbed one of my several otterbox's laying around and went to work. Because although great add on accessory and it could be used this thing was not doing the glass or the phones ability justice because I couldn't get perfect alignment on more than one axis.

1548751939_13447033155c5014433ebac4.05158941_Discovery Scope Mount Original.jpg

So I marked some holes and sanded flat the bezel around the camera opening in the old otterbox and drilled and countersunk the holes to accept the original screws from the mount and sit almost flush. But the thin plastic of the inner otterbox shell made me worry about phone falling or ripping off in the field and breaking my second $1000 phone this year and I figured I'd try to shore it up. Well, we all have a thousand jsb tins laying around so I cut a piece to fit about half an inch above below and around the camera bezel and then drilled holes in it and kinda made a little dent in each one to allow the screws to seat as flat as possible as not to hold the phone up off the case inside frame. Then I put some very thin 3m double side foam adhesive strips over the jsb tin piece to protect my phones rear glass pretty much like the original otterbox but it was tricky finding the combo that was thin enough to let the two halves of the case snap together but still provide adequate protection for the phone in my opinion and this is what I came up with and it works absolutely flawlessly I am totally tickled with this scope set up that with bubble level out the door I paid $260 for on saturday morning and Charlie at Airgun Optics Plus got it shipped to me in Pennsylvania this afternoon. Service was second to none. Highly recommend his business.

1548752451_11373647265c501643a64c60.75313764_Discovery Otterbox Mod Inside.jpg
1548752474_13838339745c50165a038c42.74018732_Discovery Otterbox Mod.jpg
1548752492_3682673205c50166c2c1273.30921608_Discovery Otterbox Scope Cam Phone Mount 1.JPG
1548752532_19349411065c50169432e921.38276522_Discovery Otterbox Phone Mount 2.JPG
1548752546_3014844635c5016a2ce3658.49324005_Discovery Otterbox Phone Mount.JPG

Awesome!

I'm a Note-8 user, and have tried a handful of different scope mounts with no luck at all..
I had the same issues with the Discovery mount, so I'm also in the process of making a custom setup..

I talked to the people at Side-Side shot about the Note-8, and they told me that the combo would work fine.
So... I got a side-shot, annnd... Nope. No luck with that either.. *sigh*

Back to the Discovery custom case/mount for that, and a custom action cam mount for the side-shot.

Sam -

I actually used a real otterbox defender series the ones that have inner plastic two part case that is installed and then the tpu rubber outer case goes on and it's like it was built for it only real mod was shaving off bezel around camera hole then making a thin flange from jsb tin and drill 4 holes It worked perfect the first try and I think it took little over an hour because of how detail oriented I am but probably could be done in half that time it really is simple and clean.