• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Discovery VT-3 4X16X44 SF FFP comparison

I currently have a Discovery VT-3 4X16X44 SF FFP scope that I paid $175.00 for and like a lot . The only other scopes I own are cheaper ($50 & under) scopes. My eyes are getting older and I need 12 to 16 magnification, and really enjoy the compact, lighter format. For around the same money ($200.00 and under), are there better compact scopes that I should be considering? I'm tempted to buy tbe same scope again if I can get the $175.00 price. 

Had one that I purchased used for about 6 months. LOVE IT! I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Glass is surprisingly crisp & clear & really like the reticle. Most expensive scope I own is a Hawke Sidewinder 6x24x56 SFP on my FX Boss but I might replace it with a Discovery VT-3 to lighten the load. Great scope for the price range. Holds zero like crazy & nice clean clicks on the turrets. 

I like the Discovery and Vector Opics compact scopes and have both. Although the Discovery is very slightly brighter the Vector Optics Veyron focuses down to 7 yards or better the Discovery is a 10 yard scope. I just purchased a Veyron SFP 3x12x44 for $118 and I love it although the fine lined reticle can get lost in the dark sometimes. Still it is a decent scope for the money. Is it better than the Discovery? Well they are close to the same for the most part with one outdoing the other only slightly here and there. So I would pic whatever scope costs less as they are very comparable units. I have one of each on my favorite pistols.

The Veyron first focal plain scope's reticle gets too fine as you reduce the magnification for my liking the second focal plain is the good one.

Odoyle is pretty knowledgeable in the scope category maybe he has a new deal for you somewhere.

Compact scopes for airgunning — I made a Specs Table of those....

▪all with 10 yard side parallax

▪holdoff reticle

▪exposed turrets

▪and either short, or light, or both, or 3-12x, or 3-9x

▪sorted by FFP / SFP

It's attached below. 😊

Matthias

❌ Attachment Scope Specs Table: Short/Light or 3-12/3-9x

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For Short Scopes -and- 3-12x 3-9x Magnification. 047. 2020-11. TABLE.16069...pdf

The Vector has a 5 year warranty and 3 years for the Discovery if it matters so a proof of purchase receipt would probably be needed. The only scope within $200 and under that's clearerer and SFP and with daytime visible illumination and Lifetime Warranty are the Alpha6 2.5-15x50 and 4.5-27x50 however they are bigger and heavier. Closest scopes to optically compare them to are the SWFA SS all models but are night and day clearer than the 16x and 20x fixed power.

You can take a chance on the Japan made $200 ($450 wholesale selling price but offer $200) on ebay 3-15x50 Barra H50 but their Lifetime Warranty is questionable thats better than the $699 SWFA SS 3-15x42.