Discovery Optics HD 4-20x50mm IR-MIL FFP Scope

Hello everyone, I just wanted to make a quick post and share with you all how thrilled I am with this new scope we bought for my son's Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite. We purchased a Discovery Optics 4-20x50mm SFIR DLTW IR-MIL FFP scope from Air Gun Optics Plus. The scope retails for $299 but I was given a 10% off code, so it ended up only costing us $270. There was no sales tax, shipping was free and we got the scope in only two days. 

I wouldn't call myself a scope snob but I have quite a few quality optics I've acquired over the years including, Leupold, Zeiss, Nightforce, Vortex, Kahles, Burris, Athlon and a Swarovski. I'm willing to pay good money for quality glass because it is such an important piece of kit, whether used for competition, hunting, plinking or tactical work. I've never owned a Discovery Optic but have heard so many great reviews and really wanted to start trying some new brands, so we gave it a shot. My son is only 8 years old and could care less what scope he has on his air gun as long as it has a fair amount of magnification, so I decided to take a chance on the 4-20x50 HD SFIR IR-MIL FFP for his Brocock. Like I said, for only $270, I figured what do we have to lose.

When I got the scope and mounted it on my son's gun last week, my first thought was, man, this thing is heavy. Not a big deal because quality glass usually is heavy. Anyway, we got it mounted, sighted in and played around with it a bit but it was the middle of the day, very bright and it was getting ready to rain, so we made it quick. Tonight on the other hand, it was twilight so we could really see how well the scope gathered light. Not only were the optics bright, it was crystal clear throughout the whole magnification range. It also tracked perfectly both while adjusting for elevation and then later when we did some more thorough tracking testing. The turrets are super smooth, each click felt great and were also very precise. The turrets are robust, function flawlessly and seem very well made. Lift the turret to adjust, push it down to lock in place. The reticle is FFP but it is not too large at high magnification or too thin at low magnification. It's a very nice, useful reticle too, everything you need and nothing you don't.. I not a huge fan of illuminated reticles and don't use them very often unless I need it on a specific gun but since this scope came with one, my son and I put it through it's paces too. All 5 of the red and all 5 of the green brightness settings worked flawlessly and again, the clicks between each setting were precise and very tactile. The scope focuses down to 10 yards and is crystal clear at that distance too. I really was surprised by this scope in almost every aspect. There are quite a few scopes out there that get so much hype and in my opinion are just not very good at all so I was hoping this was a winner but didn't get my hopes up. Again, it was only $270! 

I purchased a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP a while back for about the same price when someone here on AGN made me aware of a killer sale at Optics Planet. I absolutely love that scope and don't think it can be beat for the $270 I paid for it...until maybe now, well, we'll call it a tie??? I can't believe I'm saying it because I am a Vortex fan boy, but the glass on this scope is just astounding, better than the Vortex, the other features could go either way. I can't believe how clear it is throughout the whole magnification range and not only that, it's as sharp as a tack too. When you combine the optics, the turrets and trackability, the reticle and the overall build quality, this thing is a steal at $270! I love my Diamondback Tactical FFP but this Discovery has glass that is a touch above, I can't believe it was only $270!

So with that being said, I'm raving about this scope but remember, this is a $270 scope, not a $500, $800 or $1500 premier optic. In it's class though, this scope is an absolute winner, I absolutely love it. Just don't buy it thinking it's going to be on par with a Vortex Razor, Leupold Mark 8, Burris XTRII or a Kahles K525I. Those scopes are a substantial amount more money. If you have $270 and want a great scope though, don't hesitate to pull the trigger on this one. It's great! 

Stoti

Good review, I am glad to hear you are liking it. $270 shipped for that scope is a great price. I own two Discovery's now and one of them is the same 4-20x50mm SFIR that you just purchased. It is very nice for the price, functional as all get-out and no complaints. I agree that I would hesitate to compare it to a $1000 optic... but for the price-ranges that Discovery competes in, they certainly give others a real run for their money in those same ranges. The other Discovery I own was my first, the 4-16x42mm VT-R, and for $70 shipped to my door, I can't think of any other scope that can beat that in that price range either, by a long-shot. Again, glad you are happy with your purchase, hopefully your son has many many years of enjoyment with it.

This scope was on my list to check and just got moved to “go buy one”. I have been migrating to FFP and so far has been a very positive experience and to be able to buy one of such quality for under $300- Boy its a winner on my book. Also own very expensive glass but one it’s concious where it goes with it, with this one “no worries”. Thanks again for sharing your experience. 

I have the disco 4-20x50 FFP also on my .25 caliber impact x. I'm shooting 29.5 grain Nielsen slugs at 940 fps, and I have to say, love the FFP!!!

Same holdover at any power, that's something to be happy about! I have a Mueller 8-32x44, thought it was the best sub 300 dollar, but this one has it beat in features. Mueller has a little clearer glass, but it ends there! 2nd focal, less light gathering, edge blur over 16x, etc.

Nice review, sir!!!!

that's great, Ranchibi!

I'm thinking I got mine from airgun optics as well. I caught it early at $249 I believe it was. I take 300 yard shots often with the. 25 cal impact and Nielsen slugs

cwooten, you’re my hero! 300yds!? Holy moly! That is one well tuned Impact with those NSA’s...Awesome tune! I have a fairly new Raptor that I’ve been testing slugs thru..so far it only likes Griffin Dish base. Very fun to shoot slugs. I think if I size the other brands it’ll do better. Fun stuff and keep up your long range shooting prowess! I think that’s truly amazing 👍.

Ha ha ha!!!

Thanks, brother! Hey, I don't even have proof yet, sir. Lol

I gotta get a scope cam. Mine will not group dish base less than 1.25 or so at 50 yards. Flat base 29.5, .249 is what she likes. I watched a couple videos (Matt Dubber and one other guy) where there emphasis was a resounding "harmonics, harmonics..." we have to make those painstaking tiny adjustments of that valve bumper starting down from 950 fps or so. It's always 930-940, so it's a fairly tight range where it works right.

I would try those slugs I mentioned if you haven not in .25 caliber, dude. That 950 fps capability, then work down..... seems mandatory.

One guy said sight in at 25 yards in 3 shot groups (saves lead) till you get 3 thru a ragged hole, then take it out to 100. Forget 50 yards. They hold good at 25; they'll keep holding on out! Don't expect the one hole at 60 like pellets, but, they will hold less than 1.5 inches almost indefinitely, and they just seem to always hit long shots. And they carry SO much more energy at long range. 

Ha ha.....i ordered 3 more boxes of 300 today!

Good luck and my prayers, sir!

Have a merry Christmas!