Disclosure in advertising

It's not news to any of us that we live in a world where we're constantly being advertised to. Free-market capitalism dictates that companies try to get us to spend our money on what they're selling. Simple as that.

In the past, "ads" were very obviously advertisements. There were formats where commercials were just the given, the expected even. A 30 second "spot" during a "commercial break." The website of a manufacturer or retailer. The radio. A magazine. Even blatant product placement in movies where the camera lingers just a bit longer than necessary on that can of Coca Cola or Chevrolet emblem. All of those are examples of where it is just the norm to see, and even expect, advertisements.

BUT, in the last decade or so, we've seen the rise of "influencers." And our little airgun hobby has not been spared from this effect. These are individuals paid (in one way or another) to promote products. They flood YouTube and Instagram and TikTok and even industry-specific forums like Airgun Nation. They post "content," sharing information about the products that have been placed in their hands by....those companies that decades ago would have marketed their products in all the usual places. These seemingly real-world users are the ultimate "product placements." Payment for this promotion of products takes on myriad forms. Some are literally on the payroll, drawing regular pay checks. Others are paid by how many "views" the "content" garners or how many sales can be traced back to their influence. Some are given the products that they promote. Some are paid in transportation fees. Rarely do we see disclosures of how the influencer is being compensated. And, the worst is when the influencer plays the part of the average joe, leaving those susceptible to believe they're just enjoying freely given information.

As a collective groups of airgun-addicted individuals, do we care to know the back-story behind the information being "shared" with us? If what we're reading is an advertisement to influence our decision-making (read wallets) should we be informed? Should we be made aware if someone is receiving compensation (of any form) for what they're sharing?

A full disclosure bolsters the validity of what is being shared, in a "I've got nothing to hide" fashion. Furthermore, disclosure can help the reader to know that what they're reading is coming from someone with direct ties to the manufacturer, which in many cases gives the reader confidence that what they're consuming is factual information.

Finally, disclosure of a potential conflict of interest does not make it an actual conflict, but it definitely helps eliminate the perception of malfeasance.

I take many of them with a grain of salt. I recall one very high profile individual who bashed a certain type of mounts until the company he was working for sold them and all of a sudden, they are the best mount around.

As far as reviews and such, I really only care to see a shot string. All the fluff, groups with no video, shooting at trinkets and such just does nothing for me.

As to your question regarding the backstory... yes. I am always interested in not only the backstory of the information, but of the individual and how they came to the conclusions they have. I've seen newbies with a video cam all of a sudden be an 'expert' on guns simply because they can do videos... and good for them, I guess. Just sad when even newer newbies watch and take it as gospel.

Don't sell a sales guy 😂

Yeah, I've realized after being in the sport for a couple years that most of the stuff on social media is...junk.

There are only a couple influencers that actually have any cred. We have two spectrums--the everything is awesome crew (mainly FX) and the going to technical overload you crew so you don't realize that you didn't really learn anything useful... The crazy thing is most folks don't know that these guys/gals get paid sometimes thousands of dollars to make these videos (even our 'educational' youtubers). Sort of the dare you attitude even if it's not explicitly stated...the unsaid angle of 'I just paid you 5k to make the video...dare you to say something negative' undertone.

Drives me nuts when I see marketing for rifles that have hundreds of dollars of add-ons so a picture can be taken showing it doing something it otherwise could not in stock form (eg--panthera balancing on obstacles) or made up charts and axis values manipulation. If anyone can understand the made up chart in the Halo/pellug sales material...more power to you. Biggest red flag is when it has to be printed on the chart on what the 'better' side of the scale is...laughable.

I don't mean to pick on FX, as I almost exclusively use their rifles...but they're one of the most maddening when it comes to marketing.

It's a losing battle for those of us that try and stay grounded--the deep pockets will always win. 😭

Last edited:
What's scary to me was talking to someone about needing to repair my trailer and then going online and seeing trailer repair ads popping up on sites that I went to. The only thing in the room when I talked about it was the two of us and a smart TV and furniture. Maybe the couch has a big mouth.

You are correct in how they should be stating their connections, and many already do, but you are wrong to compare all of them them to influencers on YouTube. Gibson and Dubber show up at open matches and beat all comers, -they have real talent. They are not slick and vacuous sellers of products that they don't actually use. They, as just an example, have an opinion and an expertise that I would not ignore. Now, if they start pitching for deodorant and mouthwash, that would be different wouldn't it? As far as the other reviewers, AEAC makes a pretty big deal at the beginning of each video who is paying the bills, as do most of the big websites. Actual advertisers and airgun shows are just that, you tune in to them for the exposure to product. This leaves the smaller and individual websites to watch out for, but they are small for a reason, and they won't get very big misleading people. There is always going to some snake oil types associated with every activity known to man and if some can't figure that out then they will have a hard life. All that we can do is call out, when we see it, to help those who can't. The way to do that is to name "names" and not generalize. Start a list, on a thread, of every reviewer that you think should provide more disclosure. They would be pretty stupid not to respond to it, on this, the most read airgun forum going. And, I will add, on a personal note, that I have been duped before, but it only happened because I wanted it to. I looked for reviews that matched what I thought, and ignored being objective. I'm told it happens to everyone at some point, over something, perhaps, but it really stings when it happens to you. The point you make has been a long time in the making and this website could be a powerful tool in it's resolution.

What's scary to me was talking to someone about needing to repair my trailer and then going online and seeing trailer repair ads popping up on sites that I went to. The only thing in the room when I talked about it was the two of us and a smart TV and furniture. Maybe the couch has a big mouth.
It's almost...... Orwellian no?

I hate going to friend's houses who have an Alexa, but it doesn't really matter. Anytime you speak of something and then go to Google it, it pops up as you're typing.

In the same boat as @Struckat - all I pay attention to these days are how-to videos. As in how to adjust the trigger on Airgun A, replace the valve stem on Airgun B, or remove the air cylinder & replace o rings on Airgun C.
It's not that all of the guys & gals in the other videos are always misleading all the time... just that it's become difficult to distinguish the misleading & deceptive from the genuine. As @Franklink said, full disclosure helps & is appreciated. But it isn't a guarantee you're getting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Just identifies the man behind the curtain.
Nothing personal with those who make the videos. Not taking to public forums to point out that a few of my employer's products/services are more difficult to work with or less robust than the print would have you believe- I like getting a paycheck too.
That said, we all have limits. A few companies in the airgunning industry have found mine, & will no longer consider buying their products. Not going to call them out- nothing illegal or dangerous, & while some buyers are disappointed in what they get, many are quite happy with their products. Their advertising practices, though... make me want to vomit a little.

Reactions: Struckat
My opinion only- I don’t think it’s any of our business wether they get paid or not. I watch their vids to grab the basic concept and what the item they’re promoting can do, but from here on out I use the brain that I was born with and head over to the common sense area and now look for the results that AGN members are getting with the item purchased. From there I base my decision.

I am fortunate to have made friends with folks on this forum that are “in the know” as far as experience and are closer to the common sense finish line than I am, who I rely on to finalize my buying decisions. It’s those people I tip my hat to and rely on. You all know who you are.

As I type this I am realizing that 90% of the vids made by these paid promoters that are linked up as soon as a product comes out, I don’t even click on as I don’t want to watch amateur actors with false facial expressions and girly high pitched voices of excitement, try and tell me about this hole in hole fire breathing dragon of a gun. I know fully well that when the camera stops the smiles all go away and it’s business as usual.

I fell for it once, and I told myself never again.

How is this any different in any hobby or interest where there are goods to be bought and sold. I only watch or read reviews of the products I have interest in, is to see how they function and what features they have. As to whether it is the right product, all one can do is try to make the right choice for you is based on the best info one can find. Sometimes that works out great and sometimes not so much. As to the influencers, it really does not matter to me what they disclose about themselves or their sponsors, I know they are "product influencers".

Reactions: L.Leon
No.

I enjoy a lot of products simply because they were brought to my attention one way or another. On this topic specific to airguns I would say that hanging out on the forums has been the biggest influence on me personally to spend my money. I go to other sources for information usually AFTER reading about something here.

Airguns are a luxury/pleasure item, a simple tool for my entertainment. I don't have a NEED to shoot pigeons at 200 yards, win a competition or put food on the table. I make the decision to buy an item based off of my intended purpose and the information that I find. One has to be discerning when spending their money on anything, airguns included. I weed through the information, find what is relevant to my needs and make purchases for myself. I am responsible for my own choices, not the other guy.

I guess you could say I reverse engineered the whole airgun videos thing years ago. I started watching videos on guns that I owned for quite a few months and fully understood the product. That in itself fully exposed the true worth of these commercials that guys seem to almost need to watch. I recently out of boredom looked for review videos on a gun that I finally shook down and knew the gun has nothing more to give. Found two videos from supposedly reputable salesmen. Total BS. I have yet to see a video by a known reviewer that truly tells the consumer what he’s in for when he buys the gun. To keep myself from going on some kind of crusade I just look at it like this. If you don’t want to get involved in the forum life and learn who‘s who and who you can trust, go ahead and thumb through videos late at night and become a victim. The right info is out there if you choose to look and not ignore it. It just doesn’t come in the form of a video of a shiny new thing that seems to perform miracles out of the box. Dumb or naive people get victimized every day on far more important things than pellet guns.