• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Disclosure in advertising

You are correct in how they should be stating their connections, and many already do, but you are wrong to compare all of them them to influencers on YouTube. Gibson and Dubber show up at open matches and beat all comers, -they have real talent. They are not slick and vacuous sellers of products that they don't actually use. They, as just an example, have an opinion and an expertise that I would not ignore. Now, if they start pitching for deodorant and mouthwash, that would be different wouldn't it? As far as the other reviewers, AEAC makes a pretty big deal at the beginning of each video who is paying the bills, as do most of the big websites. Actual advertisers and airgun shows are just that, you tune in to them for the exposure to product. This leaves the smaller and individual websites to watch out for, but they are small for a reason, and they won't get very big misleading people. There is always going to some snake oil types associated with every activity known to man and if some can't figure that out then they will have a hard life. All that we can do is call out, when we see it, to help those who can't. The way to do that is to name "names" and not generalize. Start a list, on a thread, of every reviewer that you think should provide more disclosure. They would be pretty stupid not to respond to it, on this, the most read airgun forum going. And, I will add, on a personal note, that I have been duped before, but it only happened because I wanted it to. I looked for reviews that matched what I thought, and ignored being objective. I'm told it happens to everyone at some point, over something, perhaps, but it really stings when it happens to you. The point you make has been a long time in the making and this website could be a powerful tool in it's resolution.
Honestly, what irritates me, well besides a certain medical condition, is a retailer slips in a blurb in the forum that is obviously an advertisement for his dealership.

"Caveat Emptor"; Maturity goes a long way.As said ," take it with a grain of salt". Many sites I go to for information will state that they get a small "kick-back" if the person buys one of the products being "tested";they will have the product sellers listed underneath the information.
For the ones that do not, yet are in some way getting a kickback I would say this is wrong.
The saying,which everyone should know,"buyer-beware" now let my look up the Latin,"Caveat Emptor"!
(y)

Last edited:
This has been going on for hundreds of years and will not change. As PT Barnum said "A sucker is born every minute". If you are a sucker you get taken. If you use your brain, as has already been stated, you can make a conscience decision on what is BS and what is fact. If you suffer from rectioptilitus, you will probably be driven down the lonely road.

When I re-entered the hobby a few years ago, I often navigated the "influencer" channels on YT and was swayed every which way by them. Then I noticed a pattern; every gun is the best you can get. Then, there are the excuses for "fliers"; "...other than the bad ones, the good ones look good..." I can go on and on. However, I believe those most hurt or affected by this are the newbies. It certainly appears to me that those are the target audience.

I am new here, and I see most reviews will never have a negative or they will throw in some slight inconvenience to make it look legit. The reason I joined this forum was to learn and make fellowship so I could hear the true skinny on the guns you own. I started in 2017 then dropped out. But now the fever is back and just if not worse. So much fun.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I recall the old adage "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see"...serious involvement in a hobby/sport requires a learning curve which requires information from anywhere I can get it also usually involves a learning fee that is paid along the way..."in a multitude of council there is wisdom"... the more information gleaned about a product from different sources the better...reviewers, sales pitches, ads, the guy making utube videos are simply "entertainment" involving my interest...because the one I would get is going to be different than the one they have anyway...I won't spend my money on their say so...how many time have you heard any pitch "person" say "this junk their no good don't get one", however as far as airguns go the experiences of a multitude compient members, (more than one or two or three) on this chat forum have been invaluable to me in my satisfaction in this sport...and the friends and contacts I made, and still making, have cost me a boat load of money in this sport...I can honestly say I never really got a lizard on their recommendations...in fact more often than not outstanding stuff...like for instance the Taipan Veteran...Daystate Huntsman...FX Bobcat...Theoben Rapid 12...HW97 and I could name more...all these received rave reviews (over the yesrs) and still do...and from me too...I'm long since wise to the ways of advertising...real world use by nonbiased people help me the most.

Reactions: maxtrouble
There are a couple of influencers that I trust, but they're not involved in the airgun world. (Except maybe Merideth Bernard peripherally because her daughter just nailed her first squirrel from the bathroom window and her kids got a Red Ryder last Christmas.) But I digress...

If I'm interested in something, I search the forums for complaints first, then move on to articles and videos. TV programming has become a garbage dispenser, so I don't have one to waste time with. Books are my go-to.

Stay safe,

J~

All good information and advice. I think back to one of the threads about all of us "old guys" on this forum, and the fact that this sport is
mostly populated by over 40 somethings. All mature and experienced enough to think for themselves.
I think the OP had a good question, that perhaps got lost in all the good "dad advice".
Should paid influencers be identified on this site? It can lead to more or less credibility being lent to their posts.
Is complete transparency a good thing? They certainly have the right to be paid for their knowledge and expertise.

But,,,,,, as my good friend the Virginian said,"When you ride for a man's brand, you take on his reputation too, good or bad."
JMHO
Doc

All good information and advice. I think back to one of the threads about all of us "old guys" on this forum, and the fact that this sport is
mostly populated by over 40 somethings. All mature and experienced enough to think for themselves.
I think the OP had a good question, that perhaps got lost in all the good "dad advice".
Should paid influencers be identified on this site? It can lead to more or less credibility being lent to their posts.
Is complete transparency a good thing? They certainly have the right to be paid for their knowledge and expertise.

But,,,,,, as my good friend the Virginian said,"When you ride for a man's brand, you take on his reputation too, good or bad."
JMHO
Doc
Lots of good comments shared since the original post. The read between the lines on some of those comments has me thinking that some don't realize that Airgun Nation is not a safe-haven from the advertising. Which is why I started this discussion.

Airgun Nation exists on airgun companies paying the bills. Most of that is the blatant form of advertising (banners up top on main screens), but some of that is actual discussion posts, and that's where the lines get blurry.

While there are many owners with zero ties to manufacturers or retailers that post their experiences here on AGN, there are also more than a handful of paid promoters or influencers or whatever the preferred term is, posting. And as I previously stated, "paid" can take many forms. I should know since I could be considered an actual owner, or a "paid" promoter, depending on the gun I'm discussing. My "pay" has only ever been getting lent a gun, so I get to shoot and try out a gun without paying for it, which could be considered a form of payment. In my situation, I get to post whatever I want, which means I share pros and cons of the guns that I'm reviewing, as I see them. But I'm not so sure that that's the case with some of the truly paid ($$$) influencers/promoters.

I've always been transparent about my arrangement, while many aren't. And that's what I was pointing out. Being compensated in some way or another isn't a problem, but not disclosing the arrangement IS a problem, in my opinion. Especially when many readers don't seem to be able to discern that, either because they're new to the airgun community, or utterly blinded by brand loyalty.

Are you being told it's the most amazing airgun that ever existed because that's what they've found in their personal use of the gun? or are they telling you it's the most amazing airgun that ever existed because they are being paid to say that? The way I see it, if somebody is trying to get you to spend your money, you deserve to know WHY they're trying to get you to spend your money. Simple as that.