Disappointed with my magnum springer...what PCP to buy?

So I bought a Hatsan 135QE. It's powerful enough and quiet enough, but the recoil is so heavy it's hard for me to hit things. I don't mind heavy recoil in my powder burners, but in this gun it makes me not want to hunt with quick shots in the field or try to shoot at longer ranges. I would like a PCP that I can mount a bipod on and shoot crows up to 50 yards and targets up to 100 yards that's not too loud and really reliable such that I can keep it filled and ready to go. I am also looking on spending less than $1500, but would prefer a little less.

I am looking at the MRod in .25, and mostly looking at the Dreamline. What do you guys think? Should be a little bit rugged too and not way too heavy.

Note, I like the idea that the Dreamline can be folded in a chassis to reduce size, maybe even get a compact model...but then I am worried about range. Also, owning an AR, I like the idea that the Dreamline tactical (maybe with a folding stock adaptor), can handle AR stuff... I know there are other guns but...

The Impact seems fiddly and expensive! and the Maverick seems too much gun for me...but interesting...A lot of guns just seem heavy and too nice to get scraped up...but the Air Arms S510 does seem nice in that is has really good reviews, although I don't prefer wood stocks. 

Sam

I would get the Dreamline over the Mrod. I take it you're looking at getting a traditional rifle. Do you care much for bullpup configurations? They offer full power with full-length barrels in a short package. Do you hunt? If so, what type of game? I hear a lot of good things about the Taipan Veteran Standard or Long. I would also suggest getting a Daystate Revere either regulated or un-regulated but they raised the prices because of the pandemic and I'm not sure if the price will be dropping down any time soon.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/absolute-nube-need-to-understand-the-basics/

follow this tread. Just a few treads below this one you started. Basically the same inquiry as yours, but the other tread already has numerous feedback replies already. 

With a first pcp there’s a happy medium you should try to attain, which is to not get too much of a gun for a first pcp, such as an impact or maverick, but also try and not get a platform that will leave you either regretting the purchase you made for another one instead, in only a couple of months. Or a platform that’ll leave you wanting for more immediately. Get something that would be easy to maintain or repair, and make sure it meets your power requirements in case you wanna try slugs. 

I was perfectly content with my 25 Marauder for a whole year. So content I decided it would be my one and only pcp, till I shot my first FX wildcat MK2. From there I fell deep into the dark hole of

Theres something to be said for a Marauder as a first entry level to pcp. There’s a reason it’s probably been the first pcp that most bought when they got into this hobby. Guessing probably 70%. This is giving me an idea to start a tread asking how many folks made the Benjamin Marauder their first pcp ever when getting into this. I don’t doubt it’ll go into pages of replies.

I have had the BJ Armada for over a year now and love it.....except for the fact that it is one heavy SOB. I bit the bullet and ordered the Maverick Compact back in January. Got the email that it came in stock yesterday, made a couple phone calls this morning and it should ship tomorrow. From every video I have watched (and that is a LOT) I think I am going to enjoy the hell out of it. It is going to be lbs lighter and infinitely more tunable and flexible in what I will shoot from it. Mostly going to be JSB Hades, but I think I will stretch it out with slugs too once I get comfortable with it.

Agree with corvid hunter, my first pcp was a dreamline lite, love it! was thinking about a marauder, but saved a little more and got the dreamline. I was of the opinion it didn’t make sense to purchase a pcp that would end up being a safe queen because I wanted to “ upgrade to something better “ this hobby is pricey so I wanted to purchase something that was at “ the next level” and not feel that that my choice was almost but not quite there. Love my dreamline and don’t feel I am missing anything. It clicks all the right buttons for me. If I had mounds of disposable income sure I would like to purchase something different just to have and try but for me the dreamline was a perfect choice.

Reactions: L.Leon
In my collection are two Air Arms rifles that are the stable workhorse PCPs, one is a S410 and the other is an S510,in .22 and .177 respectively. They have Donny FL Sumo moderators installed and Atlas bipods. The .22 shoots a one hole group with the Hades pellet at 20 yards and less than 3/4 at 50 yards. It never fails me, is still stunning to look at, and has taken many crows , squirrels, and groundhogs over the years. My granddaughter has already taken dibs on it for after I am gone, and I know it will continue to perform for generations with a little care. Highly recommend.

BTW, I also have RAW and RW rifles. The AA is every bit as accurate at 50 yards and under, and while not as powerful, is very capable of the occasional 100 yards crow shot.

DZ

SammyK, as far as the old saying of buy once, cry once, there are pluses and minus’s to that thought pattern, especially in this hobby. For the sake of not rambling on, I think when applying that thought pattern to an Airgun or any item( flat screen TV, a car, etc) one should first evaluate the item to be purchased and ask themselves, does the buy once cry once even apply to this?

Now, in order to apply the buy once, cry once thought pattern, these rules must apply-

1. Your not on a restrictive budget, and have ample funds to apply the buy once cry once thought pattern, or you have an abundance of items(whatever they may be)ready to sell to fund anything you need in this hobby

2. You’re actually ready to dive into this hobby in full force, and not just dipping your toes into it. This is important, and I want to add that you’ve also given it enough thought that you’re in it for the long haul

Here are the items in particular that I feel apply to the buy once, cry once principle-

1. Compressor and it’s oil(I added the oil, as lately there has been much debate in the compressor section wether to use cheap or expensive oil)

2. Scope(not going to include scope rings, as some of the less expensive ones are actually pretty good)

3. Air supply support items(tanks, fill station, and especially the filtration items)

4. Specialty items to make the whole hobby more enjoyable and, well, complete. Items such as a chronograph and a tethering regulator such as a Regman.

5. Lastly, any sort of out of the ordinary tool or consumable required to help maintain the compressor or gun.

Ok. The items above, based on my experiences alone and just from hours and hours reading thru these forums, are what I feel fall under the buy once cry once principle. You don’t see the gun anywhere. Here’s why-

1. You have the $$ to buy the best, based on the rules we started with. You buy, say an impact. You’ve never owned a pcp, ever, and don’t even understand how they work(hammer weight? What’s that?) yeah, youve got a top tier gun, one with an enormous aftermarket and factory support. You applied the buy once cry once thought pattern. You even go as far as buying an extra barrel kit or two, in different calibers, cause your buying once and crying once.

Well, how long do you think it’ll be before you truly enjoy that gun to it’s fullest? Would you be okay not having your gun for say, three to four weeks because it’s been sent off for a leak, or because it’s making a funny noise? Are you going to get frustrated in the fact that you’ll be asking and asking all sorts of what to do questions on the forums? Are you okay with countless hours of YouTube videos to try and get your answers that didn’t get solved for you on the open forums?(and hoping you’re getting sound advice) Do you trust that the tuner you hired out of sheer frustration is going to get your gun exactly how you want it?

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea where I’m going with this. I didn’t even mention a Daystate with all the added electrical programming because I don’t own one. Here is where the KISS principle applies and over rules the buy once, cry once theory, when getting into this hobby. You’ll end up truly enjoying the fact that you started with less of a gun, learned everything about it, I mean everything, and then move up to the gun you truly want.

Started off saying I wouldn’t ramble, lol. I just wanted to let you know, based on the path I’ve walked, why I feel the buy once cry once should not apply towards a pcp platform. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to help you see thru that buy once, cry once “ cloud “ that fogs our brain while our finger hovers above the “buy now” button.

Just my 2 cents...

My airgun rabbit hole started with an Mrod and glad it did. IMO it was the best into to PCP’s. Simple platform, easily tuned, parts are available, documented beyond belief for years, (Bigragu’s extensive knowledge doesnt hurt either!) And following what he said above, the cost of an Mrod allows for the needed extras, tank, chrony, etc. The other thing the Mrod allowed me to do was figure out where I wanted to go with Airgunning. I thought I was going to be pure hunting, but Benchrest and F&T are a newfound love from doing tuning and chrony work on the mrod and prod. That then helped determine my high end purchase, like an FX ( actually grabbed a .30 Prophet) as well as usher in an entirely new appreciation for high end air rifles. 

All great points there @bigragu, reading/reflecting all that from my journey into this pcp world as a newbie myself. Pretty spot on. Thanks for the share. 

Once I decided to commit recently (though after getting an Impact as my first, 2years ago) I double up on everything you mentioned in items 1 thru 4, more or less. Then continued with acquisitions of whatever airguns with full confidence I can hold my own from a continued support in the hobby/fun.

Any regrets on getting the Impact as a first... not really as I committed on learning how it works etc. Though if I can turn back time, would have gotten something more simple (ie Daystate Revere) and go from there. Thats just me obviously; if you need a hp .30 for your needs go for it but more enjoyable with the complimentary support items on hand.

Anyway thanks again for the share from your experienced perspective. Spot on. ;)

On a year in regarding PCPs. Sounds like you and may have similar likes in terms of guns. I couldn’t hit the side of a barn consistently with a springer. It was frustrating as I consider myself a pretty decent powder burner shooter. 

I have always been intrigued by short survival type guns and I don’t need a semi auto pellet gun as I enjoy the marksman aspect. What I did need, all relative, was a powerful powder shooting like experience that was powerful, flexible, and handy. AND didn’t initially require a huge investment in air until I figured out my direction. Also wanted something to learn how to tune as so like technology so knowing myself, I wanted simple and then grow. 

An Edgun Classic in .25 checked my boxes. Powerful, folds in half for my backpack, easy to tune, flexible format, and doesn’t need an expensive air source to keep in filled. 

In a year my progression:

1). Leshiy, love it, powerful own .25 in 250mm and 350mm barrels as well as .177 barrel for woodpecker season beating on my house. No plans to sell

2). Bought a 2nd Classic. I didn’t realize difference in Gen 2 serial numbers and quickly sold it.

3). Bought another springer , couldn’t stand it, promptly sold it.

4). Bought F Wildcat mkiii to learn more about tuning an airgun.

4) Bought 12v compressor to see what pumping was about as hand pumping a Wildcat was a PITA.

5). Bought 6.8l tank as tuning a gun with a hand pump and a 12 volt pump is not ideal. (Sucks)

6). Bought dive quality compressor. +1! Sold 12 volt sparky. Sold hand pump. No regrets Sold a few unused powder burners to afford

7) I sold Wildcat as a bullpup with a 700mm barrel isn’t my thing. Couldn’t stand the valve ping in right ear. Maverick is the same so not for me. 

8). Bought a FX Impact Compact MK iii which ticks all my boxes and I love this format. Handy, vast tuneability, compact (duh), and gives a platform to continue learning technology, flexibility in terms of power, and a great hunting platform. 

All of the above in 1 year, whew. Can’t wait to see what the next year brings. PS please don’t share this chronology with my wife. ;)

Good luck Assess where u want to go with an air source, your needs, and budget as this IS Not a inexpensive sport, but during the Pandemic it has helped keep enjoyably shooting in my backyard safely without going nuts

Brad

Oh forgot to mention.. the Impact sat in the closet for about a year after the initial 3 month love affair (had a floor pump at the time too lol). Wasn't until 6months ago that I bought an R9 springer (due to gun ranges being closed due to covid/ and on going California politics) made me fully realize airgun is pretty damn fun. Now, I'm broke :p

Reactions: 17dean
After getting my revere, I have a really hard time advising on something else, if you are looking for a traditional rifle. My dreamline (tac) is really accurate, but the ease of shooting the revere has been consistently making it my second choice lately.

Sorry, I probably should have done it this way...

How is shooting the Revere easier than the Dreamline?