• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

disappointed in SWFA

Went to the range to shoot one of my PB's today. Could not get the scope to focus. Being my first FFP scope I thought maybe they're just not my cup of tea Came home from the 90+ degree heat and start studying the gun/scope. The parallax knob was just spinning around and around, not doing anything. Called SWFA (Michael). He goes Oh, I know what your problem is. There's a 2mm hex key in the box (who takes their scope box to the range so they have the hex key you should not need for a new scope?); sometimes they don't get the set screws tight enough. Normally, when a hex key engages, it locks up firmly. These did not. I got it tightened some, but who knows.

I wasted my time, and my handloaded ammunition (didn't even hit the target).. You would think that for a $500+ scope, when they come in from overseas, they could make sure the set screws on the parallax knob were tight, or put it in the non-included instructions. FAIL-sorry Joe, they SUCK!

Mod Edit: Moved to Dealer and Manufacturer Feedback forum

I always take tools to the range and I live 15 minutes from it. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to work on my stuff or help some one else.

If the parallax adjustment was loose you should have picked up on that immediately. 

NOW I understand you are unhappy and after you reflect on this you will see it in a better light ( learning experience). 

None of this excuses SWFA.

As an aside . I’ve never had much trouble with scopes until they started making side adjustable parallax devises. I have three scopes right now that need to be repaired because the parallax the adjustments have failed. Put the adjustment back on the front where it belongs (while we’re comppaining ) 

Unfortunately, I have enough stuff that it doesn't all get used right away. I bought the scope last November and just mounted it. The problem did not become evident until I was at the range. I just bought an $1,800 Athlon scope. The gun for it won't even be built until later this year. So far this "learning experience" has cost me $22 in return shipping, to fix their defect. James in C/S told me to use the 2mm hex key provided to tighten the screws. The key fits the elevation/windage knobs, but not the parallax knob, The screws are now buggered and stripped, and the scope is on the way back to SWFA (Wendy) to see it they can return it in the condition a brand new scope should have been delivered in the first place. When it comes back, I will probably sell it.

A buddy sent me this link and Since the OP mentioned what he believed to be me by name I will add my 2c .

I spent years working in Quality Control at a Manufacturing Facility. No matter how hard folks try something ALWAYS gets thru . It's just a fact that you have to be prepared for and respond the right way .

SWFA is a great company , I say this because of how they respond when a buyer does encounter a problem . They make it right every time period. Those guys will literally bend over backwards to make a customer happy . 

Little things always get thru it's just life , it's how they respond that makes the difference . SWFA scopes are some of the absolute best buy's in optics . It's not even debatable . And also one of the best customer service companies in optics .

I know for a fact they spend extra money on every one of their scopes to have them inspected twice not just once ( or not at all ) as most brands do . 

I know you are pissed , who wouldn't be ? But poop happens and ya move on . Or at least that's what I try to do . 

Give it a little time and the scope they return will be right . Trust Me 

PS my first " European Scope" I ever bought arrived with turrets that had no markings of any kind . No numbers , no direction indicators . I was more than a lil pissed off for that kinda money . So I know where you are coming from . 

Give em a little time , it'll work out 

I say give them a chance. They make a great scope for the money and they have a great warranty. I understand that it sucks getting something brand new and it doesn't work the first time around but humans will be humans. Something down the line will get overlooked. 

Another thing to do when you get a new product is to do a function check even though you don't plan to use it right away. Anything that has a screw or bolt, make sure they are tightened down. I always have a hex key set in metric and standard with me when I go to the range. 

Actually, I keep a set inside my truck for any occasion. Use the right size. Before you torque anything down, make sure you've tried both standard or metric hex keys/sockets to take the guess work out of the equation. 

When you take into account of how many happy SWFA customers are out there versus how many unhappy customers they have, that says something. Now if you hear of a lot of unsatisfied customers they have with their products, then there's a problem.

OK thanks guys. I’ll settle down and give them a chance. If the scope comes back and is good, what the hell is 20 some dollars? It threw me for a loop. It’s the first time I ever looked through a FFP scope so I didn’t know what to expect. I’ve heard other guys saying they couldn’t get used to them, so I thought well now I know why; either that or I going blind! You’d think that after being married 37 years I’d learn to shut up for 24 hours before I speak when I am angry.