Digital Guage

Yes, but why? Digital gauges are not digital. They are analog with a digital presentation. My point is they are are no more accurate than the analog gauge underneath. Remember we really live in an analog world. In point of fact these are really strain gauges with an analog to digital converter. Accuracy is really a product of linearity, just as it is with a d'Arsonval movement.

Yes, but why? Digital gauges are not digital. They are analog with a digital presentation. My point is they are are no more accurate than the analog gauge underneath. Remember we really live in an analog world. In point of fact these are really strain gauges with an analog to digital converter. Accuracy is really a product of linearity, just as it is with a d'Arsonval movement.

I am not sure that is correct. I know the edgun digital gauge use some kind of pressure sensor, and not copper tubing which are common on analog gauges. Small analog gauges can be a litle unprecise, but that also probably depends on the manufacturer. But I do agree, about if digital gauges really are nescesarry? After using both, I have found the most important factor on a analog gauge is the graduation on the scale. If I can tell the difference on 2-3 bar steps, and 5 bar steps, one can argue if one really need the readout to be smaller than that. But it is easier to read a digilal gauge, as it doen not matter on what angle one look at it, while if you read an analog gauge, you have to loook directly down on it, to get the correct readout. If the gun has an external adjustable reg, it really doeas not matter if the gauge is 5 bar wrong, as long as it reads the same every time. The most important instrument when tuning is probably the chronograph. as that is the only instrument which tells you the end result you get when adjusting pressure.

Many here on AGN were Beta testers for Sekhmet and still use them. My boys and I have them on quite a few of our air guns. They are very accurate, use an OLED touch screen, have many functions(pressure, shot count, air consumption, ave. air consumption, remaining shots, temp. etc…), are easily rechargeable via a magnetic connection and hold a charge forever, they’re waterproof, easy to read and did I say VERY ACCURATE…as in .25-.50% The digital read out is far easier to read than an analog gauges, just a quick glance and you’re done. Here’s a little information.

Have a great weekend. 

Stoti

http://www.sekhmet-us.com/digital-pressure-gauge.html

While your first sentence IS correct, you second sentence is far from correct. Just like MANY electronics (calipers for one), the computer change from analog to digital is much more accurate, than its single digit readout.

The more points after the "." (point), the more accurate the gauge...actually is. It's all but impossible to show 255 bar on an tiny little analog gauge. But the readout is a pretty simple thing to show it's digital counterpart.

Mike

Many here on AGN were Beta testers for Sekhmet and still use them. My boys and I have them on quite a few of our air guns. They are very accurate, use an OLED touch screen, have many functions(pressure, shot count, air consumption, ave. air consumption, remaining shots, temp. etc…), are easily rechargeable via a magnetic connection and hold a charge forever, they’re waterproof, easy to read and did I say VERY ACCURATE…as in .25-.50% The digital read out is far easier to read than an analog gauges, just a quick glance and you’re done. Here’s a little information.

Have a great weekend. 

Stoti

http://www.sekhmet-us.com/digital-pressure-gauge.html

Yeah still using mine and they have been flawless!

Think Robert Lane has made the best video ever, explaining the difference on a gauge, and a indicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdoY-4EtYd0

The last gauge replacement I personally did, was bying a couple of wika analog gauges, as they are relative cheap, and no batteries or buttons to worry about. The only time I really look at the gauge, is when adjusting reg, or if the reg is behaving as it should. If I was woried something was wrong with my gun like, looking for reg creep, or wanted to check every tiny bar, I can see the benefit of a digital gauge.

Did a quick search / read on gauges, found one 0 - 5000 PSI digital, sensing using a Silicone Crystal Sensor in a Diaphragm type.( larger than sekmet gauges of course )

The accuracy is +/-1.00% but can be much higher like 0.01%

Searching using "piezoelectric pressure gauge" as that is what i would assume a digital gauge to use VS a mechanical type with a more beguine way of detecting.

The gauge type described above in the video are as i can resolve both of the so called Bourdon tube and are used in gauges up to 1000 BAR

Sensing principles.

Resistive pressure sensors utilize the change in electrical resistance of a strain gauge bonded to the diaphragm that’s exposed to the pressure medium.

Capacitive sensors, which display a capacitance change as one plate deflects under applied pressure, can be highly sensitive, can measure pressures below 10mbar, and withstand large overloads. Constraints on materials, and joining and sealing requirements, however, can restrict applications.

Piezoelectric pressure sensors utilize the property of piezoelectric materials like quartz, to generate a charge on the surface when pressure is applied. The charge magnitude is proportional to the force applied, and the polarity expresses its direction. The charge accumulates and dissipates quickly as pressure changes, allowing measurement of fast-changing dynamic pressures.

Optical sensors, which utilize interferometry to measure pressure-induced changes in optical fibre, are undisturbed by electromagnetic interference, allowing use in noisy environments or near sources such as radiography equipment. They can be created using tiny components or MEMS technology, can be medically safe for implantation or topical use, and can measure the pressure at multiple points along the fibre.

MEMS (Micro Electro-Mechanical System) sensors contain a piezo or capacitive pressure-sensing mechanism fabricated on silicon at micron-level resolution. Co-packaged signal-conditioning electronics convert the small-magnitude MEMS electrical output to an analogue or digital signal. They are tiny surface-mount devices typically only about 2-3mm per side.

Sorry if i went all duckduckgo smart on your guys.