• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Digital grain scale

Just so happens that I was researching them this morning, due to my Frankford Arsenal DS-750 being somewhat inconsistent when going from sort session to sort session (some of the time). It was highly recommended and came from Amazon, (and appeared to be a returned/used scale when it got here) but still has sorted thousands in a pretty consistent manner. This small scale looks like other reloading manufacturers buy the rights from Frankford to put their names on them (same scale, different labeling).

So with this scale, before I put a bunch of session's sorted pellets in the existing sorted storage bins, I do a double check of the weight in the sorted bins to it matches the newly sorted batches. Then I simply put them in according to matching weights. This a double check for consistency.

The better, more expensive Frankford unit is currently on sale on Amazon.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Thinking about buying a digital grain scale. In the past I've gotten a couple of cheap us balance scales for archery and they were junk. What do you guys use? RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc.?
My experience is with measuring powder, not pellets. Same thing, you want accuracy.

Up until just a few years ago, I just used a balance beam. After over 30 years of using it I finally got tired of it and how slow it was (I don't use powder throwers, too inconsistent if you don't spend hundreds on special stuff so I weigh every single charge) when ammo prices were getting stupid and I started reloading a lot more and not just my oddball stuff that is no longer available, or if it is costs a mint. I bought a Hornady electronic one, it drifted bad. Real bad > 1/2 grain in any 5 minutes. It was completely untrustworthy. Took it back and exchanged it, the replacement was mildly better, but still very bad. Took that one back and exchanged it, third one was worse than the first. No more exchanges after that, and after doing more research came to the conclusion I would never buy any electronic scale at any price from the brands you listed. Now if you don't care about drifting constantly, go for it. Just take the first pellet you weigh, write down the number and set it aside. Every 10, re-weigh the one you set aside. Calibrate the scale when it gets too far off for your use. Or buy a cheap chinese scale and do the same or better, at least when it goes bad completely you are only out 10 or so dollars, instead of 30 some dollars for the brands you listed on the low side, some quite a bit more.

I did a lot of research, and basically if you are going for a name brand like the ones you listed, only the most expensive ones are ok. Even the ok ones don't expect them to last. They are not repairable and the best you could hope for on failure after short warranty is one of the name brands you list may give you a small discount on buying a new one. On all the sub 200 dollar name brand ones you can find lots and lots of complaints about drifting/failure/POS. Strange thing is, some of the cheap "POS" chinese ones that run on batteries are way better, I've been using one for 7 years now. I have a set of Denver instruments class S weights I use to check weights with and calibrate my balance beam scale. The older class S lies between ASTM class 1 and ASTM class 2 for accuracy. Class 1 is used for validating other test weights and extreme accuracy in labs that require it. ASTM class 2 is for calibrating scales that read out to milligram(.0154 grains) and are accurate to just a couple or so thousandths of a grain. My weights are between the 2 in accuracy and have weights from 1 milligram to 100 grams in the set.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I went through a few cheap scales with varying levels of disappointment.

Based on decent reviews I bought a Hornady G3 1500 scale for $55 and it's been absolutely great so far.

I use it for reloading and it is accurate and doesn't drift like a lot of cheaper scales do. That's where the difference really lies with these things in my experience.

I went through a few cheap scales with varying levels of disappointment.

Based on decent reviews I bought a Hornady G3 1500 scale for $55 and it's been absolutely great so far.

I use it for reloading and it is accurate and doesn't drift like a lot of cheaper scales do. That's where the difference really lies with these things in my experience.
That happens to be the update of the same one I had 3 crap ones in a row. Used on level surface, no drafts, warm up time was irrelevant, no RF/EM source anywhere and it just did not work worth xxxx. Kind of like a lottery on the cheap name brand ones, both on working to start with, and continuing to work over time. Nothing but rebranded and packaged china scale you can get for 1/3 the price.

I know this is an airgun forum, but go look on any of the major PB reloading sources and have your ears burned off on that scale.

That happens to be the update of the same one I had 3 crap ones in a row. Used on level surface, no drafts, warm up time was irrelevant, no RF/EM source anywhere and it just did not work worth xxxx. Kind of like a lottery on the cheap name brand ones, both on working to start with, and continuing to work over time. Nothing but rebranded and packaged china scale you can get for 1/3 the price.

I know this is an airgun forum, but go look on any of the major PB reloading sources and have your ears burned off on that scale.
I heard the prior generation was junk as well, which is the one I assume you are referring to.

But the G3 that I bought seemed to get good feedback from most places I checked. A friend of mine has one too, and his gets more use than mine and he's happy with it. So far, mine has been flawless. Might $#it the bed tomorrow, but it's working fine for now.

Always sucks wasting money on stuff that doesn't work, no doubt!

I use a PACT scale. Have had it for about 20 years. Started off rocky due to fluorescent lighting, it didn't like them on the same circuit. I changed to LED lighting (not for that reason, but better lighting) and the issue went away. It is very reliable and I too use it for reloading.
I have a set of O'Haus scale check weights and it's spot on.
Mike