Difficulty with reticle

I have mostly been "lurking" here to learn about air gunning. But I would realy like to try informal benchrest. I have an Avenger X in 25 caliber topped with an Athlon 10x40 scope. I have been shooting it at 50 yards but having a great deal of difficulty distinguishing the reticle. (It is very thin) Would it help if I find a sunshade to go on the end? It is 56mm. Thanks for being patient with a newbie. I actually bought a couple of AEA guns 2 years ago and then never did anything with them so they sit in the safe because I really like the Avenger X.

vey thin is good for benchrest . In reference to post 2 make sure the eyepiece is focused on the retical .
Many instruction's about doing this . point you scope to the blue sky and focus the eyepiece till the reticle in very sharp and then do not move it . then use the sde focus to get target in focus . Nice Scope BTW

As stated, adjusting the ocular lens to get the most crisp reticle possible is the first order of business. A sunshade may help in certain lighting conditions, but likely won't eliminate the problem.

Athlon makes really good scopes, have used the Midas Tac & Heras. That said, the reticles are mighty thin & they do fatigue my eye after shooting a while. For that reason, I'm moving away from them.

Good information offered; I'll add a tip. With ocular lens threaded fully in, small piece of masking tape on top. Then, one full turn out, 5-second look, another full turn, 5-second look, each time deciding reticle focus better, or worse. Getting in general range, switch to 1/2 turn, 5-second look, and so on, finishing up with1/4 turn segments till best focus, remove tape. WM

I have mostly been "lurking" here to learn about air gunning. But I would realy like to try informal benchrest. I have an Avenger X in 25 caliber topped with an Athlon 10x40 scope. I have been shooting it at 50 yards but having a great deal of difficulty distinguishing the reticle. (It is very thin) Would it help if I find a sunshade to go on the end? It is 56mm. Thanks for being patient with a newbie. I actually bought a couple of AEA guns 2 years ago and then never did anything with them so they sit in the safe because I really like the Avenger X.
Turn your reticles illumination on... this may help and for bench rest you will zero at 25 meters or 82.02 feet and then shoot at 50 meters 164.04 feet to determine the number of clicks up you will need on a day of competition if you are participating in the two different events = 25 meter and 50 meter.