Different Versions of the Bulldog?

Yes. This is absolutely true. I had an early version a few years ago. I struggled to get good groups. I bought a lot of add-ons from pittbull air. They helped a lot, but I ended up selling due to accuracy probs.

Last spring a friend got one. I warned him about some of my issues, but he insisted that Rick on airgun TV said it was fixed. He was right. All shots touched each other at 50 yards, and were easily sub 2" at 100 yards (mine was over 6 inch at 100 yard and a good day before mods) Also, it had 10fpe more power than mine.

I'm throwing around the idea of getting one again.

Reactions: Gunner1985
Bullfrog, to answer your original question, I waited until I could take my recent production Bulldog (which is now a Pitbull) over to a friends house who has a two from a couple of years ago and we looked for external differences (plus compared down the bores) and did not find any. Note that neither of his old rifles shoot as well as my newer one so SOMETHING is different.

With the right cast bullet (sized and lubed as per testing to find out what works with this individual rifle) I am getting consistent 1.25" (3 shot) groups at 100 yards from a rifle rest.

I’ve observed various posts and videos that indicate that later production Bulldogs perform better than early production guns. Are there visual differences between the differing sets of guns or otherwise ways to tell them apart?

Interesting. Do you know about when the production changes were made? I purchased a Bulldog in the fall of 2016. Curious too on what changes were made.

Cheers

Jim 

My take is that there were improvements made in the batch to batch consistency of barrels (I don't know if this was through better QA or better manufacturing controls and specification limits or other factors). There seemed to be a lot of bore size variation between production batches of barrels in the earlier models. Very reminiscent of the earlier .22 Marauder "barrel lottery" days. What ever the true causes it seems that the issue has been corrected for the last couple of years in the guns I have handled, although my data set is a small one!