Different Moderator sizes and caliber for accuracy ?

Taking the actual suppression of the sound out of the equation. 

I am curious if there is any consensus on calibers and sound modifiers and sizes effect accuracy. So lets first define accuracy as a grouping slugs or pellets and not a poi of impact change. I also understand that each moderator can change the barrel harmonics, so that could effect the accuracy as well. Is there any science behind a larger moderator giving a gradual pellet push versus an exact size moderator? I guess Donny FL suggest 1 caliber size bigger than the pellet / slug you are shooting, pellet clipping or other air flow design thoughts ?

So my question: Has anybody noticed accuracy changes with going to a larger moderator, say if you are shooting .177,.22 , 25, 30 cal and using a very large .357 moderator ? Does the bigger can allow an easier transformation in pushing the air out for better slug or pellet accuracy or is it the opposite ? Anybody played with different moderators ?

I have two 0dB model 110 mods, one in 30 cal and one in 177/22 cal. On the same rifle (22 Gauntlet) the 177/22 mod doesn’t group as well as when the 30 cal mod is on it. I didn’t test for this, I noticed it when I swapped mods to use the 30 cal mod on a 25 cal rifle. I have had poi shifts with a mod before, but haven’t noticed changes in accuracy before this.

jaydog,

From my experiences, the closer to the caliber size(WITHOUT clipping/producing flyers) is always quieter and usually MORE accurate than larger holes. With every new gun, after intial shooting/chrono testing shot strings/finding which ammo at which speeds work best, I try most of the different moderators(most models and calibers of DonnyFLs, dBs, Huggets, and FX can) for accuracy and sound dampening. Some will definitely produce noticably tighter/more consistent groups at 50- 100 yards. One will always be the best. However, I find that this best moderator for accuracy can be FPE dependant. Change weight projectile or speed significantly and accuracy(and sound dampening) will change.

Now, this trial and error method can be accomplished more easily by using the new removable FX harmonic barrel tuner. 

GUYS Thanks, one area that ghost mentioned was something that peaked my interests and that is the size of the hole as compared to the pellet. Ghost mentioned he noticed that the more appropriate size for the pellet the tighter his groups. I will look out for this as well. I can see that moderators will change accuracy and harmonics just curious on the size of hole if that messes with accuracy but again hard to prove as some many other factors involved. Might do some experimenting. 

Thanks again guys.