Different distance - different hammer spring setting ?

Caliber 22

Nov 29, 2023
SA
I played some with Rifle Premium Round pellets in 5.51mm, sorted. My rifle is tuned for H&N Baracuda 18 and I did not change regulator pressure for this session. I started at 25 meter and set the HS so it shoots the RPR pellets through one hole the size of a 30cal hole. Then I moved to 50 meter and the group opened more than what I am used to with H&N. At first I decreased the speed with the HS but it opened more. Then I increased the speed and it formed a tighter group at 50 meter. Back to 25 meter and the group was bigger than before and decreases the speed again to shoot smaller group. At 75 meter it shoots better with the same HS setting as with the 25 meter, it is just at 50 meter the HS setting is different. I did not see any spiraling but as I understand if there was spiraling it will not reduce after 50 meter to be less at 75 meter. There was no wind at the time of shooting, all 5 shot groups. I hope the description makes sense.

Did anybody experience something similar?
Is this normal with some pellets?

Reactions: PumaCarl
Did you shoot multiple 5shot groups at each distance just to be sure that one bad group at 50 yards isn’t providing you false data?
Yes, shot about 80 pellets in the session. All 5.51mm as sorted. Most of the others are 5.52mm but I did not shoot them. Some were 5.50 but those did not group well, about 15 pellets, to small count to set HS and test.

Last edited:
Today I used the same pellets again and finished a whole tin of 250 pellets to try and get it to shoot better. I tried different speeds but settled at 870fps. I again sorted the pellets by head size and placed it is 5 different tins. 5.50 and smaller, some is even smaller than 5.49, the smallest the Pelletgage can measure, the largest was was 5.54 and the rest about even between 5.51, 5.52 and 5.53mm. The first tin I opened a few weeks back was mostly 5.52mm and did OK 50 meter groups. Today again the 75 meter groups were, like a few days back, better than the 50 meter groups. At 100 meter it opened a lot and I could not connect with the 144 meter target. I don't know which direction it went as behind the target is only bushes and no indication where the pellets landed.

I heard that some people like to shoot only this RPR but I think I will use the rest of the RPR pellets I have only with the Gamo Magnum and short distance where it groups OK at distance shorter than 20 meter. It is a waste in my PCP.

Sounds like you wasted a bunch of time trying to see if cheap pellets would work in your rifle. Now you know they don't. Keep feeding it the ones it likes.

I don't see it as a waste of time. For me, it was fun trying and I will do it again if I find other pellets people say shoots good, after all, it is a hobby. Other people say the complete air rifle hobby is a waste of time and money and they are serious about it. As for this pellets, there are people using the same pellets saying it shoots best in their rifles. If I don't try new pellets how would I know if it shoots good in my rifle or not ? I am always open to try new things. The same with JTS pellets, some say it is shooting good, in my rifle it is shooting good, better than JSB 18gr, but H&N is the best I used so far. Speaking of JSB, this RPR 18gr shoots better than JSB 18gr from my rifle and I also did not see trying JSB as a waste of time. However, the JSB 13gr and 14gr shoots best of all the JSB pellets but again, not as good as the H&N. I have also tried the Hades, the 15gr, 25gr and 34gr. And, the H&N 18gr I have was on a big sale price and I bought it for less than what I paid for this RPR, so since I knew it shoots good, I bought a bunch of it to last me at least a year if I don't go crazy with it.

You're doing it right, enjoy the process, enjoy the hobby.
Correct. Previously I mostly shot JSB in my other rifles. If I did not "waste time" to test H&N I would not know it shot best from my PCP. If the MDP comes to market and I don't test that, I would not know it shoots even better.

(MDP = Magic Dream Pellet)

Last edited: