• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Different direction...

I think the most versatile air gun in the stable HAS TOO BE .... the Daystate Air Wolf with a Heliboard. This a custom re-barreled to .20 caliber

On power level 1 it shoots @ 7 fpe using lighter pellets ( H&N FTT @ 11 grain ) and gradually ramps up threw 12 power levels topping off at @ 40 fpe with heavier pellets. ( JSB heavies @16 grain )

500 cc air tank & 230 bar fill , ambidextrous stock, surprisingly light weight, stupid quiet and ACCURATE !!

It absolutely is for modest power hunting / pesting a ONE GUN TOO DO IT ALL

For farm land pesting where differing power levels are a 10 second change to make .... Priceless !!

JMO tho ...

Scott S

That does sound like the gun of a lifetime ... but I would be afraid to mar that beautiful stock!

If I can get my Avenger .177 to work for me, I think a low to moderate power tune will wind up consuming almost all my shot pellets per year, whether on pests or paper or plinking. .177 is sooooo cheap to shoot and if I can't kill squirrels with it like they do in the UK, I need to work on my skills rather than keep looking at new rifles.

Im glad to see I'm not the only one! And to be clear I have nothing against the higher power guns and do think they are very useful for things. I just find them not as pleasant to shoot. I think one of the earlier posters nailed it on the head. I believe it was Joe. I think I was chasing something with airguns and higher power and slugs that wasn't why I got into airguns in the first place. Now I'm getting back to what I got into them for in the first place. For fun, lower powered quiet shooting with simple guns. 

I'm trading excuses back and forth with a weakness in my mind. Truth is? I would like to be lazy and get away with being a less than ideal shot, even though shooting well is what's fun for me, not shooting just to kill something. I've never been the kind of guy who would love to just randomly kill stuff non-stop, much less at all. But I do want to kill pests, and I am finding two things frustrating: learning scopes (always an iron sight shooter before) and killing squirrels with my .22 when sometimes the pellets just bounce off them even at 25 yard range.

So I would like to have something more definitive to kill them. A .25 seemed the answer. Better in the wind, much more power, etc. And more forgiving if I am not dialed in right or not accounting for windage etc correctly. A dumb man's solution, and sometimes I can be that dumb man. Or ignorant one. We all start out that way.

It is going to take me time to be smart enough and patient enough to not want to lean on higher caliber to the do the job that better marksmanship, patience, and learning can do. In the meantime I look forward to taking it as necessary ... but hopefully only just long enough. Unless excessive cruelty is involved, there is nothing wrong with a crutch. But only for a while. Nobody needs a dependency! I am VERY new to this hobby, and don't want to let myself substitute ignorance for knowledge, or impatience or confusion for a steady learning approach, forever.

The learning curve is surprisingly long, though. That turns out to make the hobby more interesting to me. But in the meantime of my thinking about how interesting things are, I have tree rats to kill post-haste and I will use whatever is necessary as long as I stay on the right side of my personal line of whatever isn't unnecessarily cruel.

Eventually I hope I'm good enough to be like so many of those youtube Brits who do it painlessly with a low power .177, and that's my eventual goal. But it's not going to come quick, and I will likely have plenty of excuses along the way.

I'm trading excuses back and forth with a weakness in my mind. Truth is? I would like to be lazy and get away with being a less than ideal shot, even though shooting well is what's fun for me, not shooting just to kill something. I've never been the kind of guy who would love to just randomly kill stuff non-stop, much less at all. But I do want to kill pests, and I am finding two things frustrating: learning scopes (always an iron sight shooter before) and killing squirrels with my .22 when sometimes the pellets just bounce off them even at 25 yard range.

So I would like to have something more definitive to kill them. A .25 seemed the answer. Better in the wind, much more power, etc. And more forgiving if I am not dialed in right or not accounting for windage etc correctly. A dumb man's solution, and sometimes I can be that dumb man. Or ignorant one. We all start out that way.

It is going to take me time to be smart enough and patient enough to not want to lean on higher caliber to the do the job that better marksmanship, patience, and learning can do. In the meantime I look forward to taking it as necessary ... but hopefully only just long enough. Unless excessive cruelty is involved, there is nothing wrong with a crutch. But only for a while. Nobody needs a dependency! I am VERY new to this hobby, and don't want to let myself substitute ignorance for knowledge, or impatience or confusion for a steady learning approach, forever.

The learning curve is surprisingly long, though. That turns out to make the hobby more interesting to me. But in the meantime of my thinking about how interesting things are, I have tree rats to kill post-haste and I will use whatever is necessary as long as I stay on the right side of my personal line of whatever isn't unnecessarily cruel.

Eventually I hope I'm good enough to be like so many of those youtube Brits who do it painlessly with a low power .177, and that's my eventual goal. But it's not going to come quick, and I will likely have plenty of excuses along the way.

I’m a Brit, I have taken thousands of rabbits and tens of thousands of pigeons with my low powered airguns, two things struck me in your post. “Pellets bouncing off squirrels” and “ low powered .177”

Here we are limited to power at sub12fpe regardless of calibre that equates to 470fps in 25, 570fps with a .22 and 800 with a .177. I never hunt with a .177 I always use either .20 ( preferred) or .22 so unless your gun is shooting significantly slower than the heavy.25 then it definitely not bouncing off the squirrels, 

hunting with airguns of any power requires precise shot placement to ensure a clean kill, I suggest to concentrate more on accuracy rather than get draw into power or calibre size.

Hunting with low powered airguns is not the disadvantage it may appear, I watch videos of high powered airguns shooting pigeons off the top of a silo, first shot hits the bird so hard, the noise scares everything within a 1/2 mile radius. Sub 12fpe and the impact is so subtle that nothing is bothered, multiple birds can be taken with disturbing the others. My personal best tally is 208 pigeons in a few hours off the top of a grain silo.

Bb

I think the most versatile air gun in the stable HAS TOO BE .... the Daystate Air Wolf with a Heliboard. This a custom re-barreled to .20 caliber

On power level 1 it shoots @ 7 fpe using lighter pellets ( H&N FTT @ 11 grain ) and gradually ramps up threw 12 power levels topping off at @ 40 fpe with heavier pellets. ( JSB heavies @16 grain )

500 cc air tank & 230 bar fill , ambidextrous stock, surprisingly light weight, stupid quiet and ACCURATE !!

It absolutely is for modest power hunting / pesting a ONE GUN TOO DO IT ALL

For farm land pesting where differing power levels are a 10 second change to make .... Priceless !!

JMO tho ...

Scott S

+1 Totally agree I have the Heliboard in 2 of my 22 Daystate Airwolfs (gonna swap one out to my 177 later) and have one in a Pulsar and also incoming Redwolf HP. Don't know why Daystate doesn't do it from the factory!!! 2 power levels for the Airwolf and 3 power levels for the Redwolf and Pulsar aren't enough to play with and they are repeatable too not like turning a hammer spring.

Oh I do recall having an OEM 20 caliber Airwolf MCT that I swapped barrel and probe out from my 20 caliber older CDT Airwolf since a friend wanted a 22 for hunting instead. 

Gotta say I'm with bucketboy on the bouncing off of squirrels... I've been shooting pests for 20+ years with airguns and even shooting pigeons and smaller birds with a Crosman 1701P and hw30s in .177 many many times with no bouncing off. I've even killed multiple sage rats which is a type of ground squirrel around here with a lowly Beeman P17. All below 7fpe with the pistols being around 3fpe. Now not long bomber shots but 15-20yds probably my furthest shots with those guns on those critters no issues with pellets bouncing off. Now BB guns I've had those bounce off of pests. 

Sub 30 ft. Lbs. is where PCPs shine for me... I don’t attempt shots on critters past 100 yards. And the bulk of my long range shots are from 65 to 85 yards. Most of my kills are in the 20 to 45 yard range. So more power does not appeal or is practical for my use. If I need more oomph I can reach for my CZ452 .22 LR. I’m in the camp of “less is more” for general pesting around structures, livestock, equipment and most importantly workers at the dairy or farm...

Im there too Dillion!

I shot my 30 fpe capable air rifles at 20 and 10 fpe most of the time. Only time I crank them up (turn the power wheel) is if I feel the need for the speed or reaching out a bit farther. Just today I was smacking steel at 30 yards on low power. So quiet and so docile. Accurate too! I even have my 177 wildcat dialed down to the 14-15 fpe range when its capable of 18. I just don't need the power for the backyard. I often shoot low and slow with 5-7 fpe guns out to 20-25 yards. Its fun!

I had a similar journey. Based in the UK so like bucket boy I grew up shooting sub 12ftlb airguns and took my fair share of rabbits and crows. Got a bit older and obtained a firearms certificate, went a bit power mad but after a few years I now use one 22 at 30ftlbs and another 25 at 50ftlbs, and I am back to using and enjoying my sub 12ftlb airguns, indeed my sub 12 ftlb Mark4is has taken more grey squirrels this year than any of my firearms or shotguns. With less power shot placement is critical and so hunting is that much more rewarding