• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Different 100y target and why we need it

You should not really try to compare it to the other br targets group sizes vary with conditions in the other disciplines and so just try to design it with the parameters of this sport, you will get a better result

Not 100% sure what that really means, since we've been comparing this to other BR disciplines for weeks now... As far as designing the target, Mike is trying to design this for the BR "Nationals" since the targets for EBR, RMAC and PAC are already set, and re-design is neither required nor desired...

perhaps,ignoring,what other disciplines are doing and spending time on designing a 

COMPLETELY NEW TARGET WITH,REQUIREMENTS THAT PERTAIN ONLY,TO,THE,SPORT INTENDING TO USE THE SAID TARGET

would result in a better target for use in 100 yard air rifle br,

not just a similar br design without any reference as to whether to works or not for the design parameters

design parameters can be taken from other sports but must remain true to the intended purpose and MODERN EQUIPMENT USED

Well, Whatever! At any rate I have enjoyed and learned a lot over the last few weeks with all of this talk about targets and what a very accurate air rifle will do. It will be interesting to see how the scores are played out using Mike new target versus the EBR and RMAC targets. I really like Mike's idea to shoot a target move to another bench shoot another target move again this will really level out the playing field as I have shot benchrest games where the "Lucky" bench or maybe better said the "unlucky" bad bench had a big factor in the standings. Now to get out and shoot I have a bunch of new targets to play with! Keep up the good work guys!

None of those ideas about running a match are mine....they are established BR principles that have been in operation for decades. Why the new 100y disciplines doesn’t follow them is likely because of time. They try to cram all kinds of contests into a weekend, so they cannot afford the time to do it by established procedures. The folks that attend the EBR type events don’t seem to mind. It’s a very different atmosphere than what you will find at a traditional BR event.

The only goal of BR Nationals each year is to get the best BR shooters to show up, square off, and sort them out by skill as fairly as possible. It’s not primarily a fun event, and if you’re not pretty serious about shooting it’s probably not the event for you. That said, the competitive types find a lot of fun in it.

Mike

As long as you are starting from scratch with statistical relevance, it might be interesting to really consider the area that each ring adds and how it would relate to the next scoring number as a percentage of the 10.

But if we start with a 1 inch diameter 10 ring which is 0.5" radius for a center to center 1" group for example: 

This is 0.7854 sq inches center to center of the pellet hole. State the target to be scored with a .30 plug. this gives a radius of 0.35", diameter of 0.7" for the 10 ring.

5 is half as good as 10 so it should have twice the area? 1.414 inch diameter for the 5 ring center to center.

This is obviously way too small to already get only a 5.

Should the 5 ring get 4 times the area of the 10? This still only gives a 2 inch diameter center to center 5 ring. Still way too small to be only a 5.

Maybe there us a cube function at work here?

Cubing the inverse of .5 (50% of the 10 points) leads to an 8x increase to the area of a 1 inch ctc 10 ring which would then get a 2.8 inch ctc 5 ring which is still a sharp drop off but is at least starting to look like it might make sense and is about where the current target has it now.

None of those ideas about running a match are mine....they are established BR principles that have been in operation for decades. Why the new 100y disciplines doesn’t follow them is likely because of time. They try to cram all kinds of contests into a weekend, so they cannot afford the time to do it by established procedures. The folks that attend the EBR type events don’t seem to mind. It’s a very different atmosphere than what you will find at a traditional BR event.

The only goal of BR Nationals each year is to get the best BR shooters to show up, square off, and sort them out by skill as fairly as possible. It’s not primarily a fun event, and if you’re not pretty serious about shooting it’s probably not the event for you. That said, the competitive types find a lot of fun in it.

Mike

I plan to be at your BR Nationals next year I guess now and will have my "game face" on.

Here is the latest version. 5/8” X ring.

download.png
View attachment 1594703144_3688415995f0d3d285a7f49.62720824.pdf

1594822061_1091057545f0f0dad36e207.36142758.jpeg
Here is the second card. I wanted to get 3 in but it started to sprinkle rain. Every time I shoot slugs out of this gun I’m all smiles. It just reminds me that some precision is possible at the longer distances with an air rifle. Shooting them at 75y is 1/3 the wind drift of a pellet at 100y. Basically about 1/4” per mph of wind. Still probably twice as much as a Rimfire rifle....but it’s beginning to bring shooting, for people that like precision, into the precision realm at longer distances. The EBR target actually doesn’t seem bad.

Mike