differences in hand pump performance?

I have a Benjamin 3000psi hand pump that I bought from Pyramid to use until I figure out what tanks/compressor I'm going to get. It works, but I weigh about 160 and with my body weight, can't pump much more than 2600. That's sufficient for Mrod but barely. My question is whether the pumps rated for 4500 have a different piston configuration or design, or do they just have a higher rated gauge on them? Thought is that maybe I can get more psi from a 4500 rated pump... or just wasting $$ ? Looked at Vevor and 4-Uncles on amaz*n Any advice?

well i never bought a bunch of handpumps to compare lol .. id say if you have a benji stick with it theyre nice pumps, mine i got originally in 2012 with my first pcp and ive never replaced an oring in it yet, works fine .. i weigh about the same and never had a problem going to 3k, trick is not to rush it, lift slow and steady and drop your weight on it .. id watch a youtube if needed and break it down, make sure everything is dry, free, and lubed .. too much lube, or i imagine moisture, can make them feel locked up, and leaving moisture in it will pit the surfaces .. but yeah i like the benji, wouldnt out more money on another handpump although i think the chinese pumps are fine to .. not a benji, but functional ..

If you consider yourself a casual PCP shooter, than I think a hand pump might be for you. Especially if you were shooting at 35 foot pounds and less.

I have good success with my FourUncles hand pump purchased on Amazon for about $70. I’m shooting 15.89 grain .22 Hades @ 920 fps=30 fpe…it takes a little under 2 pumps/bar from 100 bar to 250 bar, so 275-300 pumps(reg is set to 95 bar) I get well over 100 shots per fill so less than 3 pumps/shot isn’t bad IMO!

However, if I’m shooting slugs at 50 fpe it’s probably more like 5 or 6 pumps/shot…not fun.

Reactions: Raysfan and qball