Differences between Taipan Mutant and Veteran?

I have a Taipan Mutant in .22 cal and Veteran in .22 cal. These bullpups are very similar. However, the magazine for the Mutant holds 12 rounds of ammo, while the Vet only holds 10 rounds. If memory serves, the Mutant can be double loaded, while the Vet cannot be double loaded. Also, the regulators are different in the 2 guns.

As you probably know, the Mutant is the earlier version. Both are excellent rifles --accurate and robust.

This topic was discussed on the forum some months ago. The following link lists the major differences in the two rifles including transfer port upgrade, 20 MOA scope rail (in the Vet) etc.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/taipan-vet-vs-mutant/

The Mutant came out with a couple different barrels on it, I got one of the 1st Mutants to hit the states long before the mass came in ,, Dont remember the name on barrel that came on it weird name, Shoots anything you stick in it super accurate , Lots of hoopla about the barrels , So i bought a CZ barrel shoots just as accurate but pellet picky only likes JSB 16gr ,,

Mike

Mutant differences:

• As mentioned, non-threaded barrel breech (transfer port is bored into the side of the Mutant barrel and aligned with a set screw)
  • 12 shot mags
  • Shorter block
  • Block transfer port is smaller than the Vet, but it can be milled out to the same size or larger (did this to my beloved Mutant shorty)
  • Smaller diameter air tube
  • Non-field removable shroud. It threads on to the muzzle right in between the middle section of the forward barrel support housing (this is a good thing though)
  • Stock is different
  • Shorter valve pin & poppet (with a slightly harder poppet material than the Vets)
  • Made 100% in Ukraine. Has a very unique, hand-made feel (in a good way) that's hard to describe

Similarities to the Vet:

• Valve body geometry / dimensions are the same
  • Trigger system
  • Awesomeness

I was wondering this myself. I’ve read many folks tout the Veteran on the forums, but @TerryE1 is the main person on AGN who shoots and still remarks about this gun. Seems like the the anti-double load feature on the Veteran Classic was a welcomed improvement. It’s seems to me that the old Mutant barrels were shooters. Are the Veteran Classic barrels generally pellet picky?

Ground squirrels @ 75 yards. No joke. I'll never sell my Mutant.

I will admit the MOA scope rail on the Veteran is a nice feature, though.
@TerryE1 Does the Mutant feel like a hunting gun made for the field? My impression of the Veteran Classic is that is mainly a bench gun. Does the Mutant feel that way or did it in the beginning? Those pretty stocks on the Veterans serve zero purpose for me in the woods.

@TerryE1 Does the Mutant feel like a hunting gun made for the field? My impression of the Veteran Classic is that is mainly a bench gun. Does the Mutant feel that way or did it in the beginning? Those pretty stocks on the Veterans serve zero purpose for me in the woods.
I have the compact Vet in .25. It mainly sits in a tripod cradle protecting the back forty. I love everything about the gun with the exception of the blockiness of the stock and the weight.. It' not really a woods walker, for me anyway.

I haven’t seen many folks hunting with Taipan Veterans (Classic or the Vet IIs). I’m interested in hearing from some of y’all if there are any member around that do. Are these decent hunting rifles? Im thinking in terms of weight, weight distribution, ergonomics, loudness, robustness (they look beefy), etc. @TerryE1 kinda piqued my curiosity on hunting with one seeing him hunt with his Mutant. Most guys I notice around the forums seem to shoot from tables, benches, and tripods with the Veteran Classic.

I haven’t seen many folks hunting with Taipan Veterans (Classic or the Vet IIs). I’m interested in hearing from some of y’all if there are any member around that do. Are these decent hunting rifles? Im thinking in terms of weight, weight distribution, ergonomics, loudness, robustness (they look beefy), etc. @TerryE1 kinda piqued my curiosity on hunting with one seeing him hunt with his Mutant. Most guys I notice around the forums seem to shoot from tables, benches, and tripods with the Veteran Classic.

The original Veteran is my favorite platform. And I've done a fair share of "hunting" with the Vets I own (depending on one's definition of hunting). Most of my critter getting is pest shooting, typically from a clandestine position. Think hunting blind scenario. I'll often use whatever is nearby to brace, but have killed a bunch of critters with the Veteran shot while I was sitting on a stool and gun rested on shooting sticks.

They are heavy. Ergonomics are much better than they look like they would be. They are not loud, the factory shroud/baffle system is the best I've seen. And they can be made even quieter with additional moderation. The robustness and beefiness relates back to the fact that they're heavy. They are built better than most airguns, all aluminum, steel, and wood. The only guns I'd put as maybe more robust than a Vet are EVOLs, USFT, Thomas.

If a lot of your hunting shots are offhand, I'd suggest you looked elsewhere because they're not the greatest option for offhand shots.

The antidouble load feature is perfect for hunters. Decock when no quarry available, recock when you need to take the shot. The magazine only advances after a shot is fired. Magazines aren't any of that wind up cheesiness but revolver type. There are no moving parts on a Veteran magazine.

There are lots of guns that cost more but are less durable than an original Veteran.

Do some searching for old forum posts to see if the power output is what you want for the caliber and version you're considering . For .22, a Short is maxed out at about 32-33fpe. A Standard something like 38-39fpe. And the Long around 45fpe. Of course heavier hammer springs can be added, as well as other mods, but those fpe #s are ballpark for OEM configuration. Also consider that in OEM form, they're mostly pellet shooters. Might get lucky and get a rare Vet barrel that likes slugs, but most don't. (0/5 OEM Veteran barrels that I've personally shot).