• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Difference in LGU .22 models: Varmint vs. Master

I’m looking at the LGU and considering between the Varmint and the Master, both in .22.

The Varmint is $80 more than the Master and I can’t quite understand what would make it more expensive. From what I can tell with my research and reading the manual, the only difference is a synthetic pistol grip stock and the Varmint weighs less...

I’ve shot the Varmint but didn’t like the sharp edges by the hole on the front trigger guard when off-hand shooting. I’m guessing that can be fixed if it’s clear it’s a better buy.

Can anyone help explain the difference, along with shooting experience (for those who have shot both) and which you think would be a better buy?

I was looking at the LGV as well but concerned the .22 might be a little low in power for trajectory over longer distances. There .177 on the other hand is pretty sweet and available for the same price as the LGU Varmint.

Which after market trigger would is recommended? The only one I'm familiar with is the Rowan trigger.

Thanks for the replies!

I own both .177 & .22 LGV Master Pro, wonderful rifles. Right now my preference is for the .177. Mine came in High power, but I tuned it down to 12fpe. The trigger was bad on arrival, but was really good by the time I changed it out to a Rowan. I kinda wish I had left it alone. The one on the .22 is stock, and it's really not that bad.

I own a LGV Challenger Ultra in 22 cal as well. Don’t know what ft lb it shoots at but it’s the 23 joule version. As court215 said very smooth shot cycle and very accurate. As for a flat trajectory there isn’t really that much difference. Mine is zeroed in at 30 metres and at 40 metres it’s one mil dot hold over. I prefer the 22 cal over the 177 for its better hitting power. When I was researching which caliber to buy I found that the 177 was a bit twangy and the 22 was a nice thud. Hope this helps

Gary

I own a LGV Challenger Ultra in 22 cal as well. Don’t know what ft lb it shoots at but it’s the 23 joule version. As court215 said very smooth shot cycle and very accurate. As for a flat trajectory there isn’t really that much difference. Mine is zeroed in at 30 metres and at 40 metres it’s one mil dot hold over. I prefer the 22 cal over the 177 for its better hitting power. When I was researching which caliber to buy I found that the 177 was a bit twangy and the 22 was a nice thud. Hope this helps

Gary

I can vouch for this Gary. I got the high powered .177 and it was very twangy. The .22 not so much. I think I still want to swap out the spring for a Vortek though. Just have not found the time. Will post when I do.