Difference between Nielsen slugs and FX Hybrid slugs?

I've only used the NSA. But it looks like the effects are much lighter lots of empty space on the inside. Maybe you already know this but you're almost like a shell in the shape of a slug as opposed to a solid slug. The NSA are more solid, with a decent hollow in the point but not a big open interior cavity. Also the base is flat - no indentation or cup. The fx hybrids have and indebted base... not quite like a pellet, but going in that direction. 

Have used and tested both. Hybrids are, just as the name implies, a hybrid of pellets and slugs. That is, they have a slug shape but with a pellet's weight. Nielsen's slugs are true slugs where they are much heavier since the only area without lead is the hollow point. The hybrids have a much larger cavity which is why they are so light compared to other slugs.

[specs apply to .22cal]

🔶FX Hybrid Slugs:🔶

🔸12 cents per shot

🔸1 diameter offered

🔸1 weight offered: 22gr

🔸Expands more, penetrates less than NSA slugs, because it is less solid due to its large interior cavity

🔶NSA Slugs:🔶 (www.NielsenSpecialtyAmmo.com):

🔸5 cents to 6 cents per shot

🔸5 diameters (head sizes) offered — to find the slug that best adapts to your barrel — since this is more critical for slugs than for pellets

🔸6 weights offered — 2 of those are lighter than the FX

⭐17.5gr | ⭐20.2gr | 23gr | 24.8gr | 27.5gr | 28.5gr | 31.2gr

🔸Expands less, penetrates more than FX Hybrids, because it has less of a hollow cavity

🔸Samplers and sample packs available

Hope this is helpful to some! 😊 Tuesday I'm going slug testing!! 👍🏼 I'm very excited! 😄 

Matthias

for my Brocock the difference is accuracy. It really likes the FX, still looking for an NSA that is acceptable. I would say try both, but really you'll need to try 2 or 3 NSA or more as there are so many options. I have taken squirrels out to 80 yds with the FX, it sounds like you hit a tree branch on impact, but it was all squirrel. lots of energy dumped into the target (25 cal). I did some clay block testing, they both expanded comparably at 30yds with comparable wound channels and penetration. 

Here's an overview of all the commercial slugs available — the November edition of the SLUG TABLE .22cal: 

🔸11 Manufacturers

🔸376 Variations

🔸Specs: length (to fit into your magazine) | BC | tip | base | weight and diameters, of course

🔸Who has sample packs?

🔸How much does each slug cost?

🔸Links to sales pages
and manufacturers

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Slug Table

download.png
View attachment SLUG Table. 053. 2020-11. TABLE.1606698197.pdf

Lets not forget supporting a guy who really does alot for this sport. His shipping is fast, his support is awesome, his slugs are constantly being changed by testing and feedback and better equipment, etc. Nsa has also made changes for a win/win to keep our cost down but keep quality up. If I cant get a barrel to shoot nsa slugs ill toss it for another barrel. 

In my limited (compared to many in here) slug experience - FX's are nice BUT also pricey and as has been noted, limited in available weight for any given caliber that they are available in. Per @vmaxpro above - NSA's and the family that is that company are awesome. You can't beat the new $5.00 sample packs. FIVE BUCKS - for 40 of any given caliber / weight. ( NFL Football -- " C'mon Man !" 😎 ) You can't go wrong with that. The JSB KO's are also very nice - I've used them in my .22 and indeed - they work quite well. I've settled on NSA's for the two "slug guns" that I currently use.

I think something that is being missed here is the entire premise of what the FX Hybrid Slugs represent = slugs at normal for caliber pellet weights. This allows for cross platform shooting without changing your tune settings...not to mention expansion that nothing else even comes close too.

I was the first person on the planet to offer a true Spitzer design for air rifles back in 2014 & it was a 37 gr .25 Cal slug.

But I wanted to be able to shoot slugs & pellets out of the same gun without changing my tune settings...so I needed a slug that weighed the same as standard for weight pellets in any given caliber.

That's why .22 Cal = 22 grain (heavy .22 pellets), .25 = 26 grain (JSB Kings), .30 = 44.5 gr (JSB pellets) & .35 = 68 gr (lighter than pellet weight for caliber).

As far as different projectile diameters the entire point was to finally have an industry standard regarding barrel specifications...but that's up to the individual air rifle manufacturer's.

The Hybrid Slugs were never meant to be for backyard plinking...they're a serious hunting round made for serious hunting.

Yes! IIRC the specs are 32 grains & .415" long...it's been awhile but the long range .25's will be available next year sometime.

A ton of people think slugs are strictly for long range shooting and that's simply not correct...with my design it's all about terminal performance and expansion at 'typical' hunting distances.

If you have an impact velocity north of 800 fps the Hybrids will expand very well...depends on MV what distance that occurs at but using Strelok+ and similar apps are your friend for determining max distance 🍻