• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Dieseling destroys accuracy.... a test at 25 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very good friend of mine was murdered by his son a month ago. His family wanted me to have a few of his firearms which I paid for to help with burial cost.
I run a long range shooting club,and have for the last 31 years. We shoot 50 Saturdays a year from 200 meters out to 1,000 yards. I've been on shooting teams for the last 60 years.
I acquired Jorge's .177 Stoger X10 rifle and set up a 25 yard range in my back yard. Using NRA 50 foot .22 targets I conducted a test for accuracy for an oiled and dry air rifle.
This is the first air rifle I've owned that can and does "diesel" if oil is present is present in the piston chamber or on the pellets themselves.
The Diesel report is loud and the is a puff of white smoke as one would expect.
Jorge was very careful keeping his firearms well oiled to prevent rust or corrosion
My first attempt to shoot for accuracy was a combination or normal a Dieseled shots. Accuracy was very poor.
I ran a dry patch down the bore and it came out like I just fired off black powder! The bore was a gooey mess with the grooves filled full of crud. shots went all over the place.
I cleaned the bore until all of the crap was out and no lead fouling was seen.
I then repeated the accuracy test and all went well until the years of gun oil got back into the chamber area and two shots Dieseled and went high and off target. The third shot went low right and the hole in the paper had a black ring of crud around the hole!.
I cleaned the barrel again hoping the Diesel action was finely gone and it appears that is has.
Now the problem is the Stoger X10 trigger pull. It is so hard to pull through to the 2nd stage that after ten shots in five minutes I start to "palm" the stock throwing my shots off of the bull to the right ( I'm left handed )
I also found the Crossman flat nose ( wad-cutter )Target pellets suck! They almost drop into the barrels rifling! Accuracy is poor at best. My 50 year old pellets still shoot great.
Target1014.jpg

Target1014C.jpg

Note the crud rings around the holes

Targer 1014B.jpg

Reactions: bdzjlz
Very sorry to hear about your loss. What you’re describing sounds more like detonation than dieseling. High powered springers are going to diesel slightly if petroleum lubricants are used. Tom Gaylord has done articles and videos discussing. Nothing to worry about. Detonation on the other hand will cause accuracy issues and can damage the rifle. I’m assuming you have a chronograph. If you hear a loud bang and get a big velocity increase it’s likely detonation. Hopefully it’s solved. Sqwirl57 he said it’s a .177 Stoger X10. I don’t know anything about it. I’ve seen others that do post through so hopefully some help is on the way soon.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Welcome to Airgun Nation and very sorry to hear about your friend's tragic story. I understand that your post is an attempt to dissuade others from the practice due to loss of accuracy, however,

*** The intentional induction of detonation/dieseling is contrary to the Airgun Nation rules. Yes, it does happen by accident occasionally. The introduction of combustion into an airgun chamber conflates Airguns with Firearms. Please do not post information that would encourage people to attempt this act.***

Thead closed.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBeardedGunsmith
Status
Not open for further replies.