Didn't start but finished as planned at the dairy....33+

About a month ago I decided to try to find some green "permission pastures" up in Maine, and I hit pay dirt. I found a dairy that was THICK with pigeons who were clueless even for pigeons. On the first journey I got around 22-24 pigeons in an hour and half. So I set a bar the first time and I wanted to see if I could up the bar.

After a very stressful work week, and finally weekend with good weather, and having my air source working again. This morning I left my house and drove the two hours to the dairy with my Brocock Ranger XR in 22. The dairy is in a beautiful part of Maine, even for Maine. My original plan was to get permission to film at the dairy and do a video for my YouTube channel after a long drought. Well, forgot the scope cam bracket mount on a different scope. No worries, have my GoPro and wait, no card in it. :cautious: Then alright is what it is, and forgot my Hades pellets. 😝

One thing that is known about about the Atomic / Ranger platform is it not being a choosey gun when it comes to ammo, and this characteristic was my saving grace since the gun likes Crossman Premiers. Also, another saving grace there was a Walmart 15 minutes away, these two factors saved the day and 45 minutes later and a sight in I was back in business.

On this trip I wanted to tough it out and go into the barns and paddocks. When I arrived at the dairy I checked in with the owner, chatted a bit and got permission to shoot indoors, only rule, make sure I had a back stop aka wood or metal so I didn't shoot through the roof or similar. I also turned the power down to low. For the data geeks, though I didn't chrony the numbers today, from past I was running at 14-15 ft/lbs on high and 12ish on low from past testing with CPs HPs.

The day was beautiful and as before, LOTS of pigeons.

View attachment IMG_4797.jpeg

I put on my poop kickers (literally) and headed to do the work. After about 15 minutes I had 4 pigeons, and the numbers tarted to pile up. I have to say from a numbers count this is the best day I have ever had.

I wandered through the barns and paddocks chatting with the ladies and popping pigeons along with making sure the shots were safe.

IMG_4799.jpeg

The numbers and piles of pigeons started to pile up, literally.

IMG_4796.jpeg

If anyone ever says testing at a dairy is glamorous has never actually pested IN a dairy. There is nothing glamorous about picking dead pigeons or chasing wounded birds among the cattle when you can't do a follow up shot safely. Pigeons get covered in crap and today, one decided to flap crap all over me. Luckily I toyed with the idea of spending the night in Maine, so I had at least some gym shorts to change into before I headed home. Note to self, bring an extra change of clothing next time.

Anyways, by 4:30 pm I had enough of it and was tired. I also had to call my girlfriend before she headed to bed (she lives in The Netherlands) and clean up to head south.
So I grabbed the Walmart shopping bag I had and went to the pigeon piles to prepare the buffet for the local scavengers. It took two runs to deposit the pigeons, my bag was only so big. Between the two hauls to the buffet site, the buzzards were already gathering.

Sum total recovered, 33, sum total I know of, not recovered 6, on roofs or similar, one is on one of the big fan blades. Thus between the two trips being conservative, 60 pigeons and honestly, you can hardly tell there are so many there at this particular dairy. And next time, I will NOT forget anything.

Lastly, shooting the CP vs the Hades, I think down range the Hades hit harder than the Cps, also a little more pop sound to my ears. However, the CPs performed well, and the numbers show it.
IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

And hopefully the local farm cat gets a chance on the pigeons.
IMG_4804.jpeg

Good write up Peter, your persistence is paying off with those sweet permissions. The Ranger/Atomic XRs, excel in a dairy pesting environment as you so ably show. Quite the haul of pigeons… love how you were able to salvage your day with the CPHPs. The new Pathfinder is also destined become a solid, “go to” pesting rig. Happy Easter!

@L.Leon Well, I am can say the far offhand shots 35 yards, most were within 20-25 because of the indoor work and needing to be careful of backdrop, yes that is how thick the pigeons are at my new permission. I like the Pathfinder for the power, this permission you can do some long shots, and thus some power past 50-60 yards would be nice. I assume soon the pigeons will attend night school to ensure they don't become part of the drop outs so far. ;)

@Ranchibi thanks, it is a beautiful state with friendly people.

@Bowhunter73 thanks, the farmer is a good guy and does appreciate the reduction in numbers. The hawks he says take about 5 pigeons a week, I did about 8 weeks worth in "hawk hours", ;)

@JohnL57 well, I am sure the pigeons are fine, but been there done that, and stomach didn't like, so the scavengers can have the buffet to themselves.